A "Reasonable" Theory

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"If" our alleged "ladies man" Thomas Beale had an affair in 1822 during his alleged stay with Morriss that resulted in the birth of a child then that child would have been born in 1823. "Thomas J. Beale" of Richmond was born in 1823.

According to the tale, all knowledge of the alleged events were confined to family and one trusted friend, so, question is, was Morriss that one trusted friend?

"If" so, then this would make it possible that the Thomas J. Beale of Richmond was the son and quite possibly, even the author, a son in search of his father's legacy, which would explain ALL of the discrepancies in the narration and also the limited area of narration distribution.

Last edited:

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
"If" our alleged "ladies man" Thomas Beale had an affair in 1822 during his alleged stay with Morriss that resulted in the birth of a child then that child would have been born in 1823. "Thomas J. Beale" of Richmond was born in 1823.

According to the tale, all knowledge of the alleged events were confined to family and one trusted friend, so, question is, was Morriss that one trusted friend?

"If" so, then this would make it possible that the Thomas J. Beale of Richmond was the son and quite possibly, even the author, a son in search of his father's legacy, which would explain ALL of the discrepancies in the narration and also the limited area of narration distribution.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

That would be called the "Gangster of Love" Beale theory. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"TJB"..."Thomas J. Beale"....the only one to be found and he's just 90 miles down the road from where a mysterious publication using his name was published. :laughing7:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop, You really need to check in on Thomas J. Beale, son of Richard Eustus Beale, Richmond County and Fauquier County also owned large tracks of land in Kentucky. He is the only white man I know that used the name Thomas J. Beale.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Since his birth in 1823 in Richmond City as a freeborn of color until his marriage , there is NO mention of the future Jackson Ward Alderman's parents or who or where he was raised.
Could he be a child of the Richmond and Fauquier county Beales?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since his birth in 1823 in Richmond City as a freeborn of color until his marriage , there is NO mention of the future Jackson Ward Alderman's parents or who or where he was raised.
Could he be a child of the Richmond and Fauquier county Beales?

No I do not believe so. The census records has him as white. Before the time of the treasure, Richard Eustus Beale was a sheriff in one of the counties in Kentucky. I will have to check on his birthday. Can't remember it. I believe his was not recorded but the brother before him and the sister after was, so maybe the years between will be only one and give us his birth date.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thomas J. Beale was the third child and third son of Richard Eustace Beale and Margaret Bronough, his first wife. Richard Taverner Beale was first born in 1789. Edward Beale second born, no date given. Thomas J. Beale, third born, no date given. Margaret Bronough died 1800 or before. Maybe in child birth of Thomas J. Beale. Only date given is 1800. Those people in those days usually had a child every 9 months to 18 months apart. So even if you take the 18 months, Thomas J. Beale would have been born in 1792.

Richard Eustace Beale married a second time and they had two children Susan W. and James Beale. Nothing on James but Susan W. Beale married P.C. Doddridge Redd on March 24, 1840. One of her sons a second child was named Thomas Beale Redd.

Richard Eustace Beale was a Sheriff of Fayette County, Kentucky in 1784. Just maybe Margaret had an Indian Child in the wilds of Kentucky. We need to track this man down and find everything on him. He used the middle "J" in his name prominently.

The middle initial "J" Thomas used prominently most likely stood for Richard Eustace Beale's father John Beale son of Thomas Beale. This would make Thomas J. Beale, Thomas John Beale.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to keep pointing this out, but I will again. In the narration Beale is described as having a dark and swarthy complexion, his other features also conforming to a man of natural color, i.e., certainly not a tan or some other form of temporary darkening. Why did the author include this information "if" not for the mere building of a fictitious character? So in other words, if these features were accurate to an actual living person then TJB was not a white man.

And again, our author even points us towards Richmond on a couple of occasions, first when referencing where the party members accompanying Beale lived, and again when he references his important business affairs in Richmond that interrupted his interviews with Morriss.

Just too many coincidences here fellas.

Our author warns and explains how his time spent consumed with the ciphers had lead to his neglect of family, and then, in 1884, just months before the narration is published, we find our Richmond TJB celebrating his reuniting with family. Another coincidence? Hardly.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to keep pointing this out, but I will again. In the narration Beale is described as having a dark and swarthy complexion, his other features also conforming to a man of natural color, i.e., certainly not a tan or some other form of temporary darkening. Why did the author include this information "if" not for the mere building of a fictitious character? So in other words, if these features were accurate to an actual living person then TJB was not a white man.

And again, our author even points us towards Richmond on a couple of occasions, first when referencing where the party members accompanying Beale lived, and again when he references his important business affairs in Richmond that interrupted his interviews with Morriss.

Just too many coincidences here fellas.

Our author warns and explains how his time spent consumed with the ciphers had lead to his neglect of family, and then, in 1884, just months before the narration is published, we find our Richmond TJB celebrating his reuniting with family. Another coincidence? Hardly.

Well for one thing if you notice my post? Richard Eustace Beale was Sheriff of Fayette County, Kentucky in 1784. That was five years before his first son was born or his second and thirdly Thomas J. Beale. Now Thomas J. Beale could have been an Indian Child of Margaret Bronough as you notice she died at an early age on or before 1800. Even if Thomas J. Beale was born the day she died in 1800 he would still have been 17 years old. And since TJB had military language in his letters to Robert Morriss, that either shows he was brought up in a military family or went to a military school. Either way whether 25 or 17 years old, and just possibly an Indian Child of Margaret Bronough. He would still fit the TJB of the letters and codes to Robert Morriss. But since I think the cipher codes were made up especially C2 it really does not matter.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
One other possibility is that Ward "during the 2nd year of the Confederate War" when he was in Richmond joining the Dove Lodge that he encountered the RICHMOND HOWITZERS and the future Alderman of Jackson Ward, freeborn of color, Thomas J Beale and used his description in the Beale Papers.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One other possibility is that Ward "during the 2nd year of the Confederate War" when he was in Richmond joining the Dove Lodge that he encountered the RICHMOND HOWITZERS and the future Alderman of Jackson Ward, freeborn of color, Thomas J Beale and used his description in the Beale Papers.

Maybe. I have seen people put (white) on their census records and other documents but most of their blood came from the Spanish, Mexican, Portuguese and even Indian. Yet their children are not all white. There are some white couples have black children and the husband blames the wife for the baby being black. But sometimes it is simply in the genes and the exposure to sunshine.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well for one thing if you notice my post? Richard Eustace Beale was Sheriff of Fayette County, Kentucky in 1784. That was five years before his first son was born or his second and thirdly Thomas J. Beale. Now Thomas J. Beale could have been an Indian Child of Margaret Bronough as you notice she died at an early age on or before 1800. Even if Thomas J. Beale was born the day she died in 1800 he would still have been 17 years old. And since TJB had military language in his letters to Robert Morriss, that either shows he was brought up in a military family or went to a military school. Either way whether 25 or 17 years old, and just possibly an Indian Child of Margaret Bronough. He would still fit the TJB of the letters and codes to Robert Morriss. But since I think the cipher codes were made up especially C2 it really does not matter.

"I think" the author was the TJB of Richmond, and here's why, along with the other stuff already referenced;

"He registered simply from Virginia, but I am of the impression he was from some western portion of the State. Curiously enough, he never adverted to his family or to his antecedents, nor did I question him concerning them, as I would have done had I dreamed of the interest that in the future would attach to his name."

an·te·ced·ent
ˌan(t)əˈsēdnt/
noun
plural noun: antecedents

1. a thing or event that existed before or logically precedes another.
    "some antecedents to the African novel might exist in Africa's oral traditions"
    synonyms:
    precursor, forerunner, predecessor
    "the guitar's antecedent"
    antonyms:
    descendant
    • a person's ancestors or family and social background.
      "her early life and antecedents have been traced"
      synonyms:
      ancestor, forefather, forebear, progenitor, primogenitor; More
      ancestry, family tree, lineage, genealogy, roots
      "her antecedents have been traced"
      antonyms:
      descendant
    • Grammar
      a word, phrase, clause, or sentence to which another word (especially a following relative pronoun) refers.

I think the author pointed use directly to his family lineage in the above entry. I think this too was also part of the "secret" that was confined to a limited circle and one close friend, that friend being Morriss.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then the whole story is made up according to your black Thomas J. Beale born 1823?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I asked in other post, "how the author knew to seek out Morriss?" I think what really happened is that it was the other way around, that for one reason or the other, possibly health related, that Morriss finally decided he had to tell the son.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then the whole story is made up according to your black Thomas J. Beale born 1823?

No, not really. I think the son was simply telling just enough in the best way possible without telling too much. Remember, according to the narration, the author is simply looking for a missing paper that he knows existed. It doesn't matter if the actual treasure existed or not, or if "the Beale party events" actually took place, all that matters is that he thought those things were real. In essence he is disclosing just enough that "someone" with intimate knowledge of the affair would recognize while still leaving the general public clueless as to what was really contained in that narration.

Also, let use remember that "black" may not be the same as say, "a dark and swarthy complexion." So I'm thinking something in between, as is often typical in a mixed race situation. You see, I think the TJB of Richmond was an illegitimate child, another reason why we can find no record of his parents and another reason why there is so much reluctance in the narration to reference such.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So that gets us right back to the cipher codes have to be deciphered? I guess we will have to wait on Jean Laf to reveal his findings? I know C2 was made up about the treasure. So would not the other two, C1 and C3 be nothing but made up also?

I believe James Beverly Ward made up the whole story. And the Thomas Beale used in the story was the one his grandfather had a duel with in Fincastle. And this Beale went on to NO married the Governor's daughter, built a hotel, bought a hotel and plantation, was an avid gambler and bragger, was Captain of Beale's Rifles in the Battle of New Orleans died of an advanced age of 47 on September 8, 1820

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So that gets us right back to the cipher codes have to be deciphered? I guess we will have to wait on Jean Laf to reveal his findings? I know C2 was made up about the treasure. So would not the other two, C1 and C3 be nothing but made up also?

I believe James Beverly Ward made up the whole story. And the Thomas Beale used in the story was the one his grandfather had a duel with in Fincastle. And this Beale went on to NO married the Governor's daughter, built a hotel, bought a hotel and plantation, was an avid gambler and bragger, was Captain of Beale's Rifles in the Battle of New Orleans died of an advanced age of 47 on September 8, 1820

No, those ciphers in the narration contain no meaningful clear text. Give me a minute and I'll explain why....

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklin, let's assume that I have already decoded all three ciphers only to discover that I still need a vital missing paper in order to complete my task. Now let's assume that you have that missing paper, only I don't know who you are, only the general region in which you might live. So, how do I find you?

Well, I write just enough of the truth in the form of a publication and I advertise it heavily before actual publishing, and in that narration I present C2 and then make it perfectly clear that I have "already mastered the others", this letting YOU know that I have what you need, that being the actual clear text to the other two ciphers. In doing this I can't publish the actual remaining ciphers in their true state without running the risk that you could decode them on your own, just as I did, and thus you no longer need me, so I alter them in such a way that you could never do this, thus you still need me as bad as I need you. And last, I put a representing agent between you and me and I resist attaching my actual identity to the narration, just rough references so you'll know that my story is "authentic" in it's true purpose. And then I wait to see who gets flushed out from it all, hopefully the person with the missing paper that I need.

I don't need to actually sell the publication to the general public and I don't need to distribute it beyond where I believe that missing paper might still exist. All I need to do is to grab YOUR attention and to "bring that missing paper to light." :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread