Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Carved Acorn from CSA Cavalry Camp Today-My First!!!-Authenticated

Rob, I do recall our discussion by email about the acorn bullet you saw at the show. I'm glad I stuck with that site. You never walk away from a Confederate site until you completely stop digging any relics. Thanks my friend.
MKinTenn, thanks for looking. This one was a total surprise. HH Bud, Quindy
Thanks Tnd2011, Steve, Roger, UAR, Jewelerguy, Mike (Proud new Dad of future VOLS Cheerleader), Gaoldsman, and J.B.
Thanks for the info. Tennessee Digger. we both know there were many Illinois Soldiers around the camp area who were attacked and some captured by this CSA group. According to the info. Zax sent, the acorn corps badge was not officially adopted until after Chattanooga but who knows when the acorn was unofficially adopted. Thanks for the info. guys.
Nana, it went right over my head too. Get Lisa and get out and find another Bama Cadet button, Q.

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Quindy, what can I say? I am astonished and green with envy at that Acorn...my goodness, one of the best I have ever seen as far as soldier lead art. I would vote banner on this as I and other dedicated CW relic hunters understand how rare it is to find a carved of that caliber. Your acorn is as good as and better than some of the great examples found in Charlie Harris's book on the CW relics of the Western Theatre. Kudos to you for wading through that iron to save that piece of history. OUTSTANDING! :notworthy:

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

sekypaleo said:
Quindy, what can I say? I am astonished and green with envy at that Acorn...my goodness, one of the best I have ever seen as far as soldier lead art. I would vote banner on this as I and other dedicated CW relic hunters understand how rare it is to find a carved of that caliber. Your acorn is as good as and better than some of the great examples found in Charlie Harris's book on the CW relics of the Western Theatre. Kudos to you for wading through that iron to save that piece of history. OUTSTANDING! :notworthy:
Thanks my friend. I was just glad to get it before Greg gets down here sometime. As we know, he's a carved bullet magnet and so is Dman-LOL. HH, Quindy.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still not up on BANNER? :dontknow: That just aint right.
Come on Folks, this unusual carved bullet deserves to ride the banner train. :thumbsup:

Quindy,
Do you think if you planted it a carved bullet tree would grow? :tongue3: Just a thought. ;D

My BANNER vote is in!

Congrats again,
Dug

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm gonna Light that flame with # 25 post :blob8: AWEsOME acorn , fired up never saw anything like that :o Trench Art of the Finest kind ! Museum Quality and Banner Worthy dig , :headbang: dawg

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quindy,I have never dug a carved bullet,have seen quite a few and have to say that is the most "awesome",Acorn,I have ever seen!!
Well done my friend!!!

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks MM, Dawg, and Cody. I had to go to Murfreesboro to interview a button expert for an article I'm working on for N S Trader today. I had 2 dealers look at it and with the CSA provenance they said it's worth $150 as I told Getty. It's worth a lot more to me as most of the carved acorns are .58s not .69s.
As they said in the old commercial, thanks for your continued support. HH my friends, Quindy.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an amazing piece of Art, :o Banner vote is in for sure... :icon_thumleft: Way to go, awesome find !! :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ModernMiner said:
Still not up on BANNER? :dontknow: That just aint right.
Come on Folks, this unusual carved bullet deserves to ride the banner train. :thumbsup:

Quindy,
Do you think if you planted it a carved bullet tree would grow? :tongue3: Just a thought. ;D

My BANNER vote is in!

Congrats again,
Dug

Hey Q, LOVE the acorn! Congrats on finding it. :thumbsup: Good luck on making the banner; getting there has been a little tight lately. I'm still hoping to see SAMBO up there and your ACORN! It's a nice break to see some 'different' items. Breezie

rtde3

Jan 4, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you think about it, we often value a coin or other relics by how many were made, condition & age.
Well this is a one of a kind item, it's in great shape and it's over 140 years old!
It's a part of our history. It's an art form. It a very personal item that tells a war story just by looking at it. This is the type of relic we all want to find!
It's a very rare & unique relic that deserves to be up there on the Banner!
My vote is in! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks MUD, Breezie, Mike, Don, Rob, and Doug for your nice comments and support for Banner. If the note I posted from the little boy's note to heaven meant for his recently deceased grandfather attached to the remains of helium balloon I found while bush hogging in the early summer didn't make it, the acorn bullet won't either. By the way "Austin's note" will be in an upcoming issue of AD magazine. The "acorn bullet" will be pictured in an AD magazine issue in the late spring too.
The rules for banner is (as some members have stated by posts) they want BLING and plain relics with no markings will NOT be on banner. I did not have any witnesses and made no pic of it when dug. Heck, I didn't even know what it was at that time. I promise this to everyone on Tnet:
I have NOT and never will post anything I did not personally dig or hunt restricted areas anywhere. I have also lobbied hard for some things found by other members I have never met that I personally felt deserved to be on banner and have probably worn out my welcome here in doing so. HH, Quindy.

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Quindy... As you know I'm new to this forum so I don't know much about this banner stuff. How do you nominate something for a banner? Knowing how rare a find that is it should be a banner find as a carved corps insigna is hard to find. I have a .58 caliber bullet that was carved into an acorn ( bad job I might add but I think it was susposed to be an acorn ) but your's is a .69 which is more desirable. Donnie

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
tennessee digger said:
Quindy... As you know I'm new to this forum so I don't know much about this banner stuff. How do you nominate something for a banner? Knowing how rare a find that is it should be a banner find as a carved corps insigna is hard to find. I have a .58 caliber bullet that was carved into an acorn ( bad job I might add but I think it was susposed to be an acorn ) but your's is a .69 which is more desirable. Donnie
You do it below your avatar where it says "Nominate for banner" formally although some folks just say "banner' in their reply but it's up the the moderators. Thanks and HH, Quindy.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
Thanks MUD, Breezie, Mike, Don, Rob, and Doug for your nice comments and support for Banner. If the note I posted from the little boy's note to heaven meant for his recently deceased grandfather attached to the remains of helium balloon I found while bush hogging in the early summer didn't make it, the acorn bullet won't either. By the way "Austin's note" will be in an upcoming issue of AD magazine. The "acorn bullet" will be pictured in an AD magazine issue in the late spring too.
The rules for banner is (as some members have stated by posts) they want BLING and plain relics with no markings will NOT be on banner. I did not have any witnesses and made no pic of it when dug. Heck, I didn't even know what it was at that time. I promise this to everyone on Tnet:
I have NOT and never will post anything I did not personally dig or hunt restricted areas anywhere. I have also lobbied hard for some things found by other members I have never met that I personally felt deserved to be on banner and have probably worn out my welcome here in doing so. HH, Quindy.
It's a banner in my book Quindy. I have never found one of those, and may not ever. It is a Banner find any day! You are one of the more informative ones here Quin, and if any one deserves the Banner it's you. Thank you for all the great W&E articles and others you have blessed the detecting world with. You got my vote for that Very Historic and pristine American relic.
Your friend,
Mike

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He found the acorn-shaped bullet ... :laughing9:
H

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Stunning Find Q :o
Been away for a bit, you got my vote today!
That is the nicest piece piece of trench art I've seen..
Congrats & HH :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread