I need an Education on bottle digging!

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very new at this but have been interested for quite awhile. I don't even know where to start when it comes to looking for an outhouse or how to probe it. If anyone can give me the basics or point me to a post that explains it I would appreciate it.

I have also started a web page so I can post my finds and tell the stories of my experiences, check it out if you get the chance and let me know what you think.

http://www.outhousedigging.com

Thanks!

Don

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
First of all, welcome to the bottle forum..and welcome to the hobby that creates monsters :tongue3:

Lets start by getting you some Sanford Maps...if your city has them. Get them at the Library. Lookk for older homes and homesteads. Foundations etc. Look for the area directly(most of the time) back 50 or so feet from the back door. Use a 4 foot or a 6 foot spring steel probe and start pushing that in the ground every two feet or so. Look, feel, for inconsistencies in the ground. Voids, bricks, rocks, and of course glass. Anything like that that is different from the surrounding ground is worth closer inspection with a test hole dig. Dig down two or 3 feet and see if you hit some ash or anything that would indicate a pit, trash dump etc. Then you are in and having fun....Thats a start...but there is so much more...Just remember to be safe out there and watch where you are digging. Gas lines, electric etc will come up and bite you! jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread