Forrest Fenn s treasure

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA

Now things get very interesting. Will the person who found it come forward, or stay in the shadows? And if that person comes forward, how will the people who said Fenn was lying spin this? Even if the person who found it remains anonymous, it would be nice if they posted a clue by clue breakdown of their solve.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I will wait for actual evidence. Far too many people, over the years, have claimed to have found it, with nothing in their hands at the end of the day. An entry on Fenn’s blog says someone found it, but until positive evidence shows up, the entry means little, except someone has convinced Fenn enough for a blog entry.

Always follow evidence, not opinion, if you want facts.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
I will wait for actual evidence. Far too many people, over the years, have claimed to have found it, with nothing in their hands at the end of the day. An entry on Fenn’s blog says someone found it, but until positive evidence shows up, the entry means little, except someone has convinced Fenn enough for a blog entry.

Always follow evidence, not opinion, if you want facts.

I pretty much agree with everything you said--with one exception. That exception is that, "someone has convinced Fenn enough for a blog entry." If we are to follow evidence, I don't believe there is any yet for someone having convinced Fenn they have the treasure. I've maintained all along that the treasure was hidden close to where Fenn lives so he could keep an eye on it and watch the progress of the treasure hunt. If that is true, Forrest Fenn may have observed that the treasure was no longer there and concluded that someone found it. And even then, all that he knows is that it is no longer there. It could have been carried off by a chupacabra. But I do believe that Fenn has been on top of what is going on from the beginning, and if he says someone found it, then I believe he knows. He does say to watch for more information in the future, so I'm confident that we will be hearing more about it. Even if the person who found it doesn't tell the IRS, I'm betting they would at least tell Forrest Fenn they found it, if for no other reason than to thank him for the treasure hunt and to receive a well deserved congratulations from Fenn himself. Everyone likes praise, and in this case it would be a mutual round of praise between finder and stasher. Fenn also has another good 15 minutes of fame on the morning shows and news programs in the coming days and weeks. I'm sure he would like to talk about it and explain his method and madness.

EDIT: A simple Google search shed a bit more light on the story. Fenn said that the man who found it is from back East, and doesn't want his name mentioned. He sent Fenn a picture. Here's the link:

Forrest Fenn confirms his treasure has been found

So I stand corrected. By way of a picture as evidence, some has convinced Fenn that the treasure has been found.

Last edited:

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes,it appears it has been found...I expect he might give some kind of explanation of the clues of the poem and the location of the treasure without mentioning the identity of the finder...I believed all along it was hidden in NM..we will see his explanations,,particularly I am curious about the "blaze" ...

TT

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To the best of my knowledge there was no earlier commitment made by FF to keep the location and the clues secret for the sake of the finder ...For obvious reasons the finder would want to remain anonymous and we all understand and respect that ... but I dont see why the location and the clues should not be disclosed..

TT

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
To the best of my knowledge there was no earlier commitment made by FF to keep the location and the clues secret for the sake of the finder ...For obvious reasons the finder would want to remain anonymous and we all understand and respect that ... but I dont see why the location and the clues should not be disclosed..

That's true. Forrest Fenn owns the knowledge of the location and the answers to the clues, not the finder. In fact, it would look very bad for Fenn if he didn't lay it all out for everyone to see. Finder wants to remain anonymous. Fine. No one wants the IRS all up in their grill. Or friends and relatives they didn't even know they had. But there is no logical reason for the finder to want to keep the solve and the location a secret...unless it was found in Area 51...:laughing7:

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the finder may be a bit paranoid..because so long us the state where the location is located is not disclosed or at least kept vague no investigation by the authorities of that state will start...I think that is the issue here...but from the wording of FF he probably chose his words to avoid any legal hassle as well because if the finder got to the treasure according to the poem (which FF has said that is the case)then it can be legally debated he took it by the "permission" of Fenn the owner...so i guess the intricate world of legal jargon are the issue here ...But I dont see how the authorities can get hold of the finder even if the state is disclosed as he is anonymous...hence I am of the opinion FF need to disclose the information of the location for a good ending of the game...
TT

That's true. Forrest Fenn owns the knowledge of the location and the answers to the clues, not the finder. In fact, it would look very bad for Fenn if he didn't lay it all out for everyone to see. Finder wants to remain anonymous. Fine. No one wants the IRS all up in their grill. Or friends and relatives they didn't even know they had. But there is no logical reason for the finder to want to keep the solve and the location a secret...unless it was found in Area 51...:laughing7:

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Zodiac Halloween Placment Guidelines.jpg

When overlaid on the map using the obvious matching terrain as seen in the card, they map a location of the Zodiac symbol acting as a target locator set right over Area 51

halloween DARPA.jpg

When deciphering the other parts of the Halloween Card they show their plans hidden behind the ciphers and the random killings

You see the same dressed up scene in the Randy Bileau murder as drawn on the map that was found in his car with the marks in black, forming a sort of path cipher of a drawn map of his intended route. The car also had his boots and he was found barefoot in the winter. The area searched was cleared by dogs and SAR Crews for days, until magically out of nowhere his backpack appeared propped on a hill in a game that was played with the "Searchers" for his remains, after they found the dog at the raft he took along the shores. The same thing happened to John Jarvie in Brown's Park, and he was murdered by his shop and put on a raft, sent down the river through the Gates of Lodore in Colorado.

Randy B Map Zodiac.jpg

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Now things get very interesting. Will the person who found it come forward, or stay in the shadows? And if that person comes forward, how will the people who said Fenn was lying spin this? Even if the person who found it remains anonymous, it would be nice if they posted a clue by clue breakdown of their solve.

i dont know what this is, but interesting spin & read
there is a lot to take in, on this site
"The chest has already been found in late August 2019"
(Deleted for rule violation)

Last edited by a moderator:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dont know what this is, but interesting spin & read
there is a lot to take in, on this site
"The chest has already been found in late August 2019"
(Deleted for rule violation)
Cliff Notes version:

Treasure hidden by Fenn. Treasure claimed to have been found by anonymous man Aug. 2019. Fenn disputes as late as April, 2020 that the Treasure had been found. Anonymous man reburies treasure he claims he found in 2019. Anonymous friend of the anonymous man who found it in 2019, posts his anonymous friends statement about it being put up for sale to the highest bidder, starting bid a cool 2 million (notably absent was any appraisal of the treasure or pictures of the treasure laid out for the bidder to see, you were supposed to rely on old Fenn pictures). Treasure is claimed to have been sold to an anonymous highest bidder in March, 2020. Fenn claims treasure is found by another anonymous shy man from the east coast in June 2020. (Not the anonymous bidder/buyer, not the anonymous finder from Aug 2019, a 3rd anonymous finder).

Who say's legends don't grow?! Especially when everyone and everybody is anonymous and there is no way to check any of the claims made by anyone. No appraisals done on the treasure, no pictures of the treasure that was put up for auction. You're just suppose to go off the original staged pictures Fenn put up of the treasure long after he "buried" it. Yeah right...

Last edited by a moderator:

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the REAL QUESTION! $1 Millions Dollars worth of treasure buried. Several questions come to mind.

1. If its value is $1 Million, why would someone search/find it and want $2 Million for it on a bidding war? That itself raises questions.
2. Is the finder so flipping rich that $1 Million is pocket change to them and they want to rebury the Treasure to keep the hunt going after so called taking out the gold coins?
3. Even finding the chest it isn't like there is a GPS camera set up so Fenn would know when and who took it, so why the secrecy?
4. If the person doesn't want to pay the taxes on it, still they can sell it off piece by piece to get their $1 Million Dollar or more prize money without the IRS knowing about it!

I agree with others, there should be some sort of proof, photos, (doesn't mean someone has to take pictures of themselves with it, but pictures would be proof!

JMHO!

Last edited:

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the REAL QUESTION! $1 Millions Dollars worth of treasure buried. Several questions come to mind.

1. If its value is $1 Million, why would someone search/find it and want $2 Million for it on a bidding war? That itself raises questions.
2. Is the finder so flipping rich that $1 Million is pocket change to them and they want to rebury the Treasure to keep the hunt going after so called taking out the gold coins?
3. Even finding the chest it isn't like there is a GPS camera set up so Fenn would know when and who took it, so why the secrecy?
4. If the person doesn't want to pay the taxes on it, still they can sell it off piece by piece to get their $1 Million Dollar or more prize money without the IRS knowing about it!

I agree with others, there should be some sort of proof, photos, (doesn't mean someone has to take pictures of themselves with it, but pictures would be proof!

JMHO!

I dont thin FF said anything about 1 million or any figure for that matter...that figure might have been speculated in the media based on rough assumptions of the value of the gold and precious metals... FF just enumerated what he put in the chest and besides the gold and precious metals , he also claimed to have put some antique pre Colombian and ancient Chinese artifacts,,,based on all these many have suggested it may be anywhere between 1 to 3 million ,,but mind you judging by the news on auctions prices for real Chinese antiques that Chinese billionaires are ready to spend these days, the Chinese artifact made of jade alone could be a lot of money especially adding its current treasure story ..Hence the real value of the treasure is not known,,
But in any case the clues and the location of the treasure should be made known to the public for transparency

TT

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you catch this:

"We have been advised by our own lawyers not to present any evidence of the chest or its content publicly not to feed any possible litigation with anything tangible to maintain deniability"

And:

"As we explained earlier for legal reasons we require plausible deniability"

These statements about "Plausible Deniability", were made in response to questions asking to produce recent photo's of their find, and of weight of the nuggets to compare to Fenn's claims and to returning the bracelet to Fenn to confirm. Which they refused to produce citing a need to be able to claim "plausible deniability" that they found it.

The claim of "plausible deniability" is a mute point and null and void. They published pages upon pages TESTIFYING in their own writing that they found it, that they dug it up, that they reburied it, that they are putting it up for auction, that they told attorney's about their find.

So any claim that they can't publish pictures because in doing so, they forfeit plausible deniability is bs, as they already admitted to the WHOLE world they found it, thus there is no plausible deniability anymore. Publishing photo's or weights wouldn't undo some claimed legal shield you have as you already testified and published to the whole world you found it.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eldo, stop violating our rules, posting links to website on treasure hunting violates our rules, posting large segments from a website that is copyrighted violates our rules, your also violating our rules on language.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you catch this:

"We have been advised by our own lawyers not to present any evidence of the chest or its content publicly not to feed any possible litigation with anything tangible to maintain deniability"

And:

"As we explained earlier for legal reasons we require plausible deniability"

These statements about "Plausible Deniability", were made in response to questions asking to produce recent photo's of their find, and of weight of the nuggets to compare to Fenn's claims and to returning the bracelet to Fenn to confirm. Which they refused to produce citing a need to be able to claim "plausible deniability" that they found it.

The claim of "plausible deniability" is a mute point and null and void. They published pages upon pages TESTIFYING in their own writing that they found it, that they dug it up, that they reburied it, that they are putting it up for auction, that they told attorney's about their find.

So any claim that they can't publish pictures because in doing so, they forfeit plausible deniability is bs, as they already admitted to the WHOLE world they found it, thus there is no plausible deniability anymore. Publishing photo's or weights wouldn't undo some claimed legal shield you have as you already testified and published to the whole world you found it.

Old Crows getting a head ache it all sounds like gobbledegook to me....

If it is all for real good luck to the finder this old birds hat off to the finder......

But maybe I just an old cynical bird with more than his fair share of feathers missing. I never bought into the story from the beginning. But that is my opinion. And I am fine with differing opinions on the matter. I have never had any interest in this treasure or alleged treasure and not emotionally attached to the story? While it is true it will only ever be speculation on the real reason why Forrest Fenn did what he did to begin with?

Now after 10 years its recovered? Was it ever hidden to begin with? Perhaps it was all a hoax that Fenn had to put an end to when people started getting killed over it? So just come out with some mystery person found it? And due to all the BS excuse above cannot disclose a picture in its found state? Yes I understand the finder wanting to keep his or identity secret? But this is a little bizarre.

Surely the finder has no legal liability for the death, damage or destruction of others who has searched for it? So why the above statement which seems a week excuse not to show a picture of this alleged treasure chest with 10 years exposure to the elements etc... Cannot for the life of this old Crow but make me think the whole thing was a hoax to begin with?

And of course if it was a Hoax ....there could be legal repercussions?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1038

So if it was proven to be all a Hoax that led to deaths and financial loss there could be criminal and civil liability claims against Fenn.

Now if I was Fenn and it was all a Hoax to begin with? The last thing you want to do claim some one found it? As long as it was missing it could not be proven to be a hoax? So he would not be criminally liable or open for civil liability claims. But maybe guilt got the better of him? Better to make out some one found it to stop people looking for it and getting themselves killed or financially ruined?

So perhaps that is why now the alleged discovery came out? Especially in a time of crisis in America with unemployment and pandemic to stop desperate people digging a bigger hole for themselves?

Crow

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You bring up some good points. Has anyone on here read the whole book, cover to cover and the fine print? I wouldn't doubt that somewhere at the end or beginning or buried in there is some disclaimer, something that indicates the book is actually fiction. Some may have got so deep into the mystery of it all, they didn't realize the book was published as fiction, not non-fiction?

Edit: I did some poking around and found that some places list the book as "historical fiction". Could that be the key that everyone missed in searching for it? The very first key to the puzzle, that it was a work of fiction to begin with, with some truth of his life and experiences scattered in to give it an authentic feel?

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does someone have a picture of the spine of the book and a picture of the book opened exposing the back of the front cover and the very first page opposite it?

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Does someone have a picture of the spine of the book and a picture of the book opened exposing the back of the front cover and the very first page opposite it?

the spine says....The Thrill Of The Chase A Memoir FENN
title page same as above Forrest added with Fenn
a page with ibsn# copyright info
a page with title & black and white img of chest
preface page img @ link
https://vmnaseven.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/thrill-of-the-chase_0003.jpg?w=438&h=315&zoom=2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread