Forrest Fenn s treasure

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did anyone catch this in the preface of his book "All of the stories that mingle among these pages are as true to history as one man can average out the truth, considering the fact that one of my natural instincts is to embellish just a little. Nevertheless, the story about my treasure chest is true"("True", but embellished)

embellish
[əmˈbeliSH]
VERB

- Make (a statement or story) more interesting or entertaining by adding extra details, especially ones that are not true.

Think about it, he testifies himself that his stories are embellished. So the "treasure" story is true, but embellished. How embellished? I mean, for the sake of argument, he may have just buried a couple of coins in a "chest" and wrote the poem about it for you to find. The part he "embellished" was that it contained millions in goods when it was only a few hundred dollars worth. Not impossible at all given he admits up front that's what he's prone to do.

I haven't read the book, but i'd suspect there are other disclaimers buried in the text like the above. It may explain why he wasn't apparently afraid of lawsuits. He'll just point to the plain text language that requires no interpretation, "Look, I admit on page one that the stories are an "average of the truth" and that i'm prone to take a story and lie about it (embellish) to make it more interesting.

I sometimes wonder if "gold fever" got the best of people and they failed to read the fineprint before risking life and limb for an embellished story?

Last edited:

USAuPzlBxBob

Jun 27, 2017
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the treasure existed, Fenn hid it as he stated, someone finally found it and sent Fenn a picture of it, and that's all there is to it.

For now.
So we wait… though we may never know anything more. :occasion14:

But, ten years elapsed overall, and a few weeks, months, whatever, need to pass so that all the "trolls" go back in their "caves."

Pardon me… "basements." :whip2:

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Forrest put out pics @ dal neitzel .com a blog about the treasure hunt
treasure chest.png

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1841996

For me, we are still at the same exact spot we were at a week ago. To see pictures of the exact same thing Fenn showed ten years ago (now weathered) only confirms that he still has access to the treasure and that it was apparently weathered. It doesn't confirm anymore then it did a week ago that it was found by an anonymous treasure hunter.

If you're in the group that believes it was staged, that's a rather predictable and fitting ending. The guy who hid it and showed the initial photo's of it is the same guy sorting it and photo'ing it in its weathered state 10 odd years later.

I suspect the location will be revealed, though I doubt one can verify conclusively anything was ever there as he says he just left it there on the ground, not buried. Fenn, "It is darker than it was ten years ago when I left it on the ground and walked away."

Last edited:

USAuPzlBxBob

Jun 27, 2017
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See, the info is coming out, slowly but surely, and eventually the whole story will be revealed.

I think it was a great treasure hunt, and I'm glad I have a signed copy of his book, and that I actually did look for it, slightly (within my means), though my real objective was seeing The Great American Eclipse through a Questar 3.5" Telescope, in Wyoming, with 2 minutes, 30 seconds of totality, back in August of 2017.

Looking forward to finding out the location it was hidden, and to see how close my search came. This info will eventually be revealed. Just have to be patient.

Delighted with the whole thing.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
All this has got me to wonderin'...would it be against the TN rules if we started up a gambling racket so people can bet on where the treasure turned out to be? We could have various odds depending on whether you bet on the state, city, latitude/longitude grid, altitude, whether it every existed at all, etc. If you think about it, the treasure hunt doesn't have to end just because the box was found. Just sayin'...

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Staged or not probably will never be known?

Alleged contents 10 years ago?

tftrt.jpg

Alleged discovery site?

1600x1200-lccl6-Bronze5.jpg

Alleged contents of recovered chest?

treasure chest.jpg

Regardless no doubt the pictures speak for themselves? Providing some answers but also posing other questions?

Crow

Last edited:

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This has turnedd into a legallity thread as to ( what would the finder do) if te pictures above are real then
good for the finder.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I kinda thought that if the location was within federal lands, that once you found the ''BLAZE'''

you would have looked quickly down and found the next key to the puzzel maybe a key to a
safe deposit box, this would explain how Fenn always knew that the treasure had not been found yet.

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See, the info is coming out, slowly but surely, and eventually the whole story will be revealed.

I think it was a great treasure hunt, and I'm glad I have a signed copy of his book, and that I actually did look for it, slightly (within my means), though my real objective was seeing The Great American Eclipse through a Questar 3.5" Telescope, in Wyoming, with 2 minutes, 30 seconds of totality, back in August of 2017.

Looking forward to finding out the location it was hidden, and to see how close my search came. This info will eventually be revealed. Just have to be patient.

Delighted with the whole thing.

I’m feeling like the whole thing was a hoax BUT this lady’s solve is pretty impressive:

https://nypost.com/2020/06/13/inside-one-womans-dogged-hunt-to-find-forrest-fenns-buried-treasure/

So if the treasure was ever actually there, I bet this lady had it right. And I would have never found it.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes hers was the first story of a searcher that went national, Fenn said that you could not get past Clue #2
with only a map, but this girl stated that the ''BLAZE'' was a switchback road that looked like flames from google earth (interesting)
i kinda wrote this off but it stuck in my mind and i kept finding the same thing at other search locations, Red River New Mexico where
Dal searched quite a bit has this and they look alot more like flames than her location. Cheer's to ya Miriam really wished you would have found it.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another story that went national was the Therapist from Billings, at first his clue landmarks just seemed to far apart
''too far to walk'' but then Nye Montana '' the end is ever drawing nigh'' and Flume creek and tailing piles,
'' there will be no paddle up your creek just heavy loads and water high''and straight across the mine outside
of Nye is a switchback road that definitley looks like flames from google earth.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
''the Home of Brown'' Brown trout are not native to the united states their origins generally can be traced back to
''Loch Leven'' in the U.K. almost all of the searchers that hunted Montana, abd Yellowstone have posted that their
search area is the place where brown trout were first introduced to Montana, but in southern yellowstone park
in the mountains west of Lander Wyoming is a lake named Loch Leven and south of there is the Popo Agie river
that flows into ''Sink Canyon'' ''Take it in the cayon down'' this river disappears into a sink then reemerges about quarter mile away
at what they call ''The Rise'' Fenn did talk quite a bit about Lander, and thePopo Agie.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The real money will be in a reality show, Imagine that a reality show where they actually find something

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1841996

I am just going to say that the edges of the box having dirt on them like that where it seems to be muddy and dried seems a little far fetched, or as GoDeep said on another post, that it tends to lose credibility, and with the other objects missing from the box and it being so empty that the whole thing appears like a dressed up scene to me

The box has a lid on it....Forrest claimed he took the box out there on one trip and then came back for the treasure on a second trip that one afternoon.

If he placed the box on the ground there would be no way that the flattened top parts of the sides of the box or the underside of the lid could have gotten mud inside of them with the lid closed

Total Bulldada

Also notice how cleaned up the box is in the photo of him looking at the stuff at a safe deposit box location.....why go through that trouble to have him meet you there ?

Anyways this all seems like the wrapped up hoax of the decade to me.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
so am i seeing things?

looks like eyes and the other yellow circle looks like a hand/fist holding something

Screenshot 2020-06-20 at 5.36.20 PM.png

sorta looks like a face

Screenshot 2020-06-20 at 5.37.40 PM.png

img whole with markings

Screenshot 2020-06-20 at 5.34.39 PM.png

forgot one

Screenshot 2020-06-20 at 6.01.39 PM.png

Last edited:

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The treasure looks pretty meager to me. Some common date US gold coins, a pile of nuggets, and some gold trinkets? There's no way that you have a million dollars there. Maybe a couple hundred thousand at most, and very likely less. The treasure was likely real but the value of its contents were definitely over exaggerated.

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The treasure looks pretty meager to me. Some common date US gold coins, a pile of nuggets, and some gold trinkets? There's no way that you have a million dollars there. Maybe a couple hundred thousand at most, and very likely less. The treasure was likely real but the value of its contents were definitely over exaggerated.

Based on what has been said about the treasure, I think the full inventory includes emeralds and other precious stones besides the gold nuggets, coins and disks...also the 2 antique Chinese figurines made of Jade and the pre Columbia artifacts might weigh in...

TT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread