rumors of buried money.

O

Old Silver

What is your problem with this poster? Frankn just tells it like it is, many of us do.

Tell what like what is? What are posters to do when they can't come onto a forum and ask for help with looking for something without being told they know nothing about cache hunting? That is disrespectful. Worse, it's pretty low of someone to do that. You both should be ashamed.

OP
OP
gear head

gear head

Oct 2, 2011
Your absolutely right. I know little to nothin about huntin a cache. So what does a person do if they want to learn somethin they know very little about? They ask questions. Well from your answers to my questions, there is no cache. Even though you tell me to do the research, you haven't done any research on this, yet still say there is no cache. So exactly how does that work? You tell someone there isn't a hoard of money buried, even though you have done no research yourself. You have to do the research to prove that there is, and that there isn't. So according to you, and your great wisdom, I should just put away my detector, and my shovel, and walk away from this crazy idea. Do you know how many great things have happened in society because someone somewhere didn't listen to all the people who told them they were wrong. One fine example is that the world is indeed round, and that everything doesn't revolve around it. But you probably still believe that the world is flat and that everything evolves around you.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well gear head, you didn't address your post, but I am assuming you directed it at me.
Lets start with what you presented in your original post, basically, the only research mentioned is that there are rumors that the last owner hid his money and lived in a mobile home. That's the only info you gave us to work on and it didn't look promising. You should have stated all the info you had to work with. You would have gotten better replies based on it.
The replies were based on this 'shot in the dark' situation which didn't look to promising.
It didn't matter that you had no experience. That's what goes on here. The new hunters learn from the old experienced hunters. What you get is not always what you want to hear, but it is backed by years of experience. Some offered hints of hiding places. I offered the provability of finding something.
Like young cache hunters it appears you only choose to look at the carrot dangling on the string in front of you.
Well, enjoy the hunt anyway. It will give you experience. Frank five star.png
Flordia 07-disney.jpg

O

Old Silver

Actually, it's all about treasure hunting and we all have our opinions based on our experience. Frank View attachment 1095027

And that's why you should have stayed out of this conversation. It's not like you had something to add, to help the OP with what he was asking for. No, you want to make everything about you.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope this might be helpful. I get a few customers a month that come in looking for buried money on old family property. Few find them, but the ones that do have some things in common:

1) Person who buried the money usually lived well below their means - one had a 15 year old cashiers check sitting in the house for $10,000. Most had a distrust for banks.
2) Most Caches that were found were in visible distance of the dwelling so that they could keep a watchful eye. Live Chicken coops have a built in alarm system.
3) Containers varied from plastic buckets, glass containers, milk jugs, PVC pipe, etc.
4) Most were deep enough to require a two box type of detector. The ones within reach of a normal detector gave off various signals, dime, penny, iron, etc.

I've personally seen them dug near trees, swing sets, bird baths, fence posts, dog runs. I've seen them in A/C ductwork, under floorboards, in coffee cans, toolboxes. One guy welded a bunch of rusty nails together and laid that on top of $30K in $100 bills in a large container. One guy had silver halves rolled in aluminum foil mixed with tools on his workbench, another taped $100 bills under the kitchen sink. Books can have bills hidden between the pages.

Regarding the paper/ money detector claim, Richard Ray used to use his Phantom detectors to detect the powdered silver in a stack of $100 bills. It required a large stack, but he performed this feat many times.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Please elaborate on the powdered silver in a $100 bill. That's one I never heard. I know that
in the '70s a guy was claiming to detect paper money. Must of been Ray.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
And that's why you should have stayed out of this conversation. It's not like you had something to add, to help the OP with what he was asking for. No, you want to make everything about you.
... and what do you claim you are doing? Adding to the conversation?

O

Old Silver

... and what do you claim you are doing? Adding to the conversation?

I started out trying to help the OP, as he was asking for help. I ended up having to defend myself against an obnoxious know-it-all. And what do YOU have in all this? Just like Frank, you want to be seen and heard, right?

OP
OP
gear head

gear head

Oct 2, 2011
Wayne, thank you! From dog pens, to ostriches, they are here. About all of the different types of containers you mentioned, there was piles of PVC, piles of 5 gallon buckets, also in amongst all the trash piles, I've found lots of really old glass containers. Probably found over a hundred mason jars so far. Found two of the old moonshine style clay jugs. He definitely had the supplies on hand to be able to bury it and keep it protected. I just recently found a can full of old keys. It was in one of the walls when I had to repair a busted water pipe. That got me to thinkin about him not havin a mail box. What if he's got somethin stashed in a lock box either hidden here, or at a bank? The facts that I do have so far so everyone will know, is that he was very wealthy, this was no secret to anyone. He lived way below what most people would consider middle class. He paid cash for all transactions. He owned his own business. Eight different people at different times all told me the same story about how he would brag about havin money hidden somewhere. These were not just people that casually knew him, they were close friends of his. I've found pictures of really big earth movin equipment on this property, which that worries me. If he dug a hole with one of those to bury it, it would never be found. He had lots of dogs in different areas. He had ostriches behind the house, under the huge power lines,just in front of the woods. And lastly, he died suddenly in a motorcycle wreck. Oh, there is three different creeks on the property if that could mean anything. I think that is everything that I do know so far.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Wayne, thank you! From dog pens, to ostriches, they are here. About all of the different types of containers you mentioned, there was piles of PVC, piles of 5 gallon buckets, also in amongst all the trash piles, I've found lots of really old glass containers. Probably found over a hundred mason jars so far. Found two of the old moonshine style clay jugs. He definitely had the supplies on hand to be able to bury it and keep it protected. I just recently found a can full of old keys. It was in one of the walls when I had to repair a busted water pipe. That got me to thinkin about him not havin a mail box. What if he's got somethin stashed in a lock box either hidden here, or at a bank? The facts that I do have so far so everyone will know, is that he was very wealthy, this was no secret to anyone. He lived way below what most people would consider middle class. He paid cash for all transactions. He owned his own business. Eight different people at different times all told me the same story about how he would brag about havin money hidden somewhere. These were not just people that casually knew him, they were close friends of his. I've found pictures of really big earth movin equipment on this property, which that worries me. If he dug a hole with one of those to bury it, it would never be found. He had lots of dogs in different areas. He had ostriches behind the house, under the huge power lines,just in front of the woods. And lastly, he died suddenly in a motorcycle wreck. Oh, there is three different creeks on the property if that could mean anything. I think that is everything that I do know so far.

Modern Day People have no need to go to the trouble of burying their loot!

Many people I have been aware of as "Hoarders" have had a Storage unit to keep their valuables in.

Check to see if he had a storage unit.

"By the way" in his Will did he appoint you as "Executor of his Estate" or "Heir to his Will"?

O

Old Silver

Modern Day People have no need to go to the trouble of burying their loot!

Many people I have been aware of as "Hoarders" have had a Storage unit to keep their valuables in.

Check to see if he had a storage unit.

"By the way" in his Will did he appoint you as "Executor of his Estate" or "Heir to his Will"?

Then again, there is no "need" to hoard things in a storage unit. That is a good idea, and the guy may have done that, but you can't go by whether a miser NEEDS to do anything. It's what he WANT'S to do. That's my opinion.

OP
OP
gear head

gear head

Oct 2, 2011
A will? I never even knew the guy! I just found out who he was from people that I know that knew him.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
gearhead has just stated some clues. Which are the most compelling . . . Old Silver, which
stood out for you?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread