All Right Lets Settle This Once And For All

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've driven Fords, Chevies, GM's, Dodges, Jeeps, IH and even a Studebaker truck. Right now Ihave a 2001 Ford Ranger and it's over 200,000 and hasn't let me down yet. My Wife has a 1993 Grand Cherokee with a 4.0 Straight Six and it's close to 300,000 and still running like a champ. Not a "truck" I know but just thought I'd throw that in there.

I'm not a big fan of Ford cars but when it comes to trucks I prefer Ford. I've had 4 F-150's (All Straight-6 and 3 on the tree) and now my Ranger and no problems at all. I grew up on a farm and we ran Fords ( F-150 / 250 / 350 chassis) pretty hard with little trouble. I see no reason to change, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

For Diesel though, I like Dodges!!

HH,
SgtSki

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
Looks like we're going to have to go out behind the barn to settle this one . I'll referee .

I think my next one will be one of those Toy-lets .

The losers buy the beer .

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Ima,

Did you see the latest Toyota pickup? Hybrid! Called A-BAT.
---Mel

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2007/12/hybrid-truck.html

toyotaabat500.jpg

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TreasureTales said:
Mel, is that truck coming or going? It appears to have two front ends - or two rear ends. Give me a 1955 Willys Wagon with a Chevy 283 engine and a slush-o-matic tranny. Then stand back while I crawl away. :D

What? You don't like the Hurricane Flathead Six and the whiny 3-Speed that originally was on Willys Wagons and Pickups? Speaking of that I saw something cool on an old Willys P/U that my uncle had once when I was about 15 or 16. It was originally a Roadside Service Vehicle that would come out and do minor repairs to a breakdown or fix flats. This had a flathead six but only ran on 4 cylinders. Cylinder #5 and #6 was rigged as an air compressor to a tank in the bed. The intake. The "engine" part was set up as a 4-banger with a 4-cyl intake and distributor and was timed as a 4-banger. I never saw the engine took apart but there must have been some funky crank throws and cam lobes for the back two cylinders. Now that I know more than I did then it musta had a REALLY funky crank and cam. There was a bypass valve that you could open or you could close it and listen to the relief valve on the air tank let go every couple minutes.

I don't know if it was a factory modification or if someone made it that way, but it was pretty cool. I've never seen anything like it since. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

-SgtSki

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
WV Hillbilly....haven't seen any cost figures yet. While they are still saying it is a "concept vehicle", apparently Toyota has indicated they are seriously looking into this pickup...especially with the hybrid crunch on.

BTW...Have to admit, I do like the following 3 pics.....even tho' they aren't considered exactly as "American made"...LOL
---Mel

borninok

#2.jpg
#3.jpg

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TreasureTales said:
Where did your uncle get the pu? My dad sold Willys for many years in California in the 1950s and 1960s, he also had the AAA Emergency Road Repair Contract Station. He could have very well made up something like that. I wonder....

That trucks been gone for a good 20 years. I have no idea where he got it. He used to wheel and deal at auctions quite a bit and bring home a couple flatbed semi trailers full of stuff. Once a Ferrellgas business whet belly-up and he bought their ENTIRE FLEET of propane-powered F-250's and 2-ton Fords. Another time he brought back a recovered stolen vehicle that was kind of unique. It was a '77 Firebird from the doors forward, but from the door back it was a Camaro! He just used to find stuff and buy it at auction. He has acres of just STUFF. The bad news is that he's bedridden with ALS so now my Dad's been scrapping it out. They've been chopping up stuff for three yyears or so now and are only about half done. The cash will definitely help out my Aunt when he passes. If she doesn't beat him to it, that is. My uncle definitely took the title of "Pack Rat" to new heights. If anybody lives in West Michigan, and has ever traveled on M-20 you can't miss his place. It's a big white house on a hill a mile west of Ferry between 120th and 124th Avenues. and the fields around it (that used to be orchards) is awash in a veritable SEA of vehicles and equipment. Anybody familiar with the area knows exactly where this place is...you can't miss it.

-SgtSki

diggindeep

Oct 4, 2006
well judging by the posts i can see the females and pansy ass males of the forum seem to like gm products. dont get me wrong they are miles ahead of dodge however gms are known highway trucks. great for pulling on pavement, but if you really want a work truck that you can drive off road where the real work happens buy ford and you will realize just what all the hype is about. :thumbsup: glad to set everyone straight.

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
diggindeep said:
well judging by the posts i can see the females and pansy ass males of the forum seem to like gm products. dont get me wrong they are miles ahead of dodge however gms are known highway trucks. great for pulling on pavement, but if you really want a work truck that you can drive off road where the real work happens buy ford and you will realize just what all the hype is about. :thumbsup: glad to set everyone straight.

Just let me know when you want me to bring my CHEVY over and drag you backwards.

diggindeep

Oct 4, 2006
Excavator said:
diggindeep said:

Just let me know when you want me to bring my CHEVY over and drag you backwards.
HAHAHA!! ill be sure to hook the chain really short so i can gain some weight on the rear axle and take some off yours!! seeing as fords are built for real world offroad use they sit higher than that "other" brand. keep it on the pavement excavator!!! those chevys sink ....."like a rock"!! :thumbsup: ;D

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
diggindeep said:
Excavator said:
diggindeep said:

HAHAHA!! ill be sure to hook the chain really short so i can gain some weight on the rear axle and take some off yours!! seeing as fords are built for real world offroad use they sit higher than that "other" brand. keep it on the pavement excavator!!! those chevys sink ....."like a rock"!! :thumbsup: ;D

2007 stats:

Ground clearance:
Silverado: 9.0
Ram: 7.3
F-150: 8.1
Titan: 11.36
Tundra: 10.4

LMAO! Chevy beats Ford in clearence by 9/10"!! Wow - that's something to brag about!

Er... looks like the Nissan has the height advantage, then the Toyota... :D

diggindeep

Oct 4, 2006
oh im sorry there sir!!! i wasnt aware of the facts on the "entry level" trucks like the nissan and toyota. i am talking about true work trucks here bud not half tons. come back to me with stats for toyota and nissan on their 1 ton equivalent........OH! im sorry....THEY DONT HAVE ONE!! nice try there dude. :thumbsup:

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
diggindeep said:
oh im sorry there sir!!! i wasnt aware of the facts on the "entry level" trucks like the nissan and toyota. i am talking about true work trucks here bud not half tons. come back to me with stats for toyota and nissan on their 1 ton equivalent........OH! im sorry....THEY DONT HAVE ONE!! nice try there dude. :thumbsup:

Na... I like stiring up you Bumper Sticker Quoting truck lovers... it's more fun.

You're cute when you're all defensive... :icon_sunny:

Dude.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I shoulda stuck to 2008 ford, dodges and chevys I guess...

Ford Chvy Ram
Engine 5.4L 6L 5.7L
HP 300 @ 5000 353 @ 5400 330 @ 4800
Torque 365 @ 3750 373 @ 4400 375 @ 4200
Valves 3 2 2

Clearence 8" 9.5" 8.3
Wheelbase 137" 167" 160.5"
Width 79.9" 79.9" 96" [typo? :-\]

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
diggindeep said:
Excavator said:
diggindeep said:

Funny though, I'm the one that gets called to pull the Jeeps and F-series out of the places I two-wheel. If you see mine on the pavement, it's pulling 5 tons on a trailer.

Honest story:

One rainy night at the race track, spectators cars were getting stuck in the parking fields. Off I went in an F-150 to get the first one. Couldn't budge it, even after covering the car with mud. Went back and un-hitched my Chevy from the car trailer...walked the cars out in second gear. The F-150 just couldn't get traction, we could blame the tires.

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
CHEVY SILVERADO 08 is what I use when I am not playing around in my jeep yj.

db

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
First pic - first choice - second one was just too cool when I was a kid... ;D (the Dodge Power Wagon from the old Simon and Simon TV show)

Attachments

• _IGP0401 (Small).JPG
    _IGP0401 (Small).JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 571
  • 825 (Small).jpg
    825 (Small).jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 569

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread