Credit Unions & Coin Star Machines

SilverStrike82

Apr 27, 2009
Fresno, CA
Credit Unions & Coin Star Machines

First- I am new to CRH, thanks to my boyfriend....I spent my Friday off last week hunting all the banks I could find for half boxes. And obviously I got some good tips from tellers....and brushed off. My first 3 boxes I found 40 silvers, most being the 90%s.....so I am hoping to continue my good luck.

I stopped by a Golden One Credit Union (now that I think about it, I don't believe it's a nationwide bank....) anyways- they have the coin star machines in each branch. I buttered up a teller, and asked about getting the coins. I was told that yes I can get the coins at the end of each month OR when the bag is full ($1000- .50c bag). Has anyone had success with either picking up these types of bags from banks, or know if it would be worth it?

I am thinking it is 50/50- I'm either going to get a bunch of skunks thanks to another CRH, or hit the jackpot when someone unknowingly dumps their stash.

Any tips or advice would be great....just a newbe looking for some pointers :)
(I am picking up another 3 boxes today from the same bank I got the 40 silvers from...yay!)

Upvote 0

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
Re: Credit Unions & Coin Star Machines

Hi, yeah buy the bags they produced the most keepers compared to boxes ... sometimes they are jackpots depending on who has been dumping into them ... a crher vs grandma with her old dusty collection :). Once you become familar with the banks and how long it takes to fill the bags , best of luck and welcome Ed

OP
OP
SilverStrike82

SilverStrike82

Apr 27, 2009
Fresno, CA

Update- so I call the bank to see about picking up their coin machine change....they sent it off to the feds last week...BUMMER!! Another month to wait.

:(

If anyone else has had luck lemme know. I now have a month to wait and debate if it is worth it or not.

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island

You can get a good idea if it is worth picking up by asking the teller how often the bag fills up. If it fills up multiple times a week, or once a week, etc. You have people dumping there. If it takes months to fill up... then GET THAT BAG NO MATTER WHAT! =)

Good luck, and be sure to let us know how you make out.

40 keepers in 3 boxes, especially with most 90 percent is phenominal! That is an AWESOME start!

~Dave

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro

I bought one bag of halves, there were six 90%'ers in it. Most banks here won't sell the bags.

OP
OP
SilverStrike82

SilverStrike82

Apr 27, 2009
Fresno, CA

Well, it seems as though the bank can't decide if I can get the coins anyways. I have since received two phone calls- one gal said it was okay to take them at month end (assuming they hadn't been filled prior), to get another call from another gal saying their branch manager won't allow me to take them.

Funny.....you'd almost think I'd been the first person to ask....... :icon_scratch:

anyways, I'll try again the end of this month and see if I get a straight answer.

Happy Hunting Everyone!

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil

SilverStrike82 said:
Well, it seems as though the bank can't decide if I can get the coins anyways. I have since received two phone calls- one gal said it was okay to take them at month end (assuming they hadn't been filled prior), to get another call from another gal saying their branch manager won't allow me to take them.

Funny.....you'd almost think I'd been the first person to ask....... :icon_scratch:

anyways, I'll try again the end of this month and see if I get a straight answer.

Happy Hunting Everyone!

Hey SS , that happens alot one teller says sure only to have the head teller come along and rain on the parade .. it is worth giving them a call at the end of the month... best of luck , Ed

OP
OP
SilverStrike82

SilverStrike82

Apr 27, 2009
Fresno, CA

I think I am....I'm hoping (crossing fingers) that all this trouble is for a GOOD reason.

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST

You should get on yahoo messenger

fiddycent

Oct 23, 2008

i've had good luck buying bags from one of my banks that has a coin machine, the best being 47 40%'ers out of $470.00 so...one in twenty were keepers. *note* that was the BEST i've done but still even pulling ten 40's out of a $500.00 bag is good in MY book. heck...ten 40's out of a THOUSAND is decent these days! nothing to write home about but good enough to keep me from crawling into the bathtub and opening an artery!

my advice is..........*drumroll*.....buy the bags because ya just never know when granny is gonna cash in grampa's collection. the potential for a truly BIG hit is always there.

and in order to avoid future confusion...go straight to the bank manager if you can. tell him/her that you'd like to buy the bag and that you WON'T bring the coins back to them. that's what i did and it worked for me. saved them having to deal with the paperwork and the shipping.

kinda like a win/win situation for you AND the bank....but that's just my two cents. things may be different in your area.

good luck and i hope you pull some silver.

OP
OP
SilverStrike82

SilverStrike82

Apr 27, 2009
Fresno, CA

Thanks Fiddy- I think I will do just that. Who needs the tellers anyways :) hee hee. Hoping I get something for all this work it's going to become. Congrats on your finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread