box of pennies & 57$ in halves

stu123

Aug 16, 2009
box of pennies & 57$ in halves

My favorite bank which told me they would save halves for me only has what was in the trays. But they were nice enough to sell me a box of pennies from the vault. This bank tends to have the new pennies. She again promised to save me halves! We shall see.
the 25$ box of pennies - 34 rolls of cabins
of the remaining 8$ in rolls:
1945 s
5 cabins
59d
64d
68 X 2
68s
1981 & 1969 canadian
of 57$ in halves from 5 banks:
Zilch!
But I did keep 3 to fill in missing years in my date set. Oh & one 1983 with faint FG initials (doesn't the FG have to be totally missing?) in so - so shape.
I don't know weather to be happy about 34 rolls of cabins or not. They seem to be flooding circulation right now. still haven't seen the last 2 designs yet
You folks think the cabins are worth hanging on to? I have a whole box now + 8 rolls of heads on both ends which are 99% likely cabins.
My banking - bank says there is alot of halves in the vault. Pay day coming up, we shall see if they don't ship them off from under me. I have a feeling that is someones dump bank. Someone who ONLY searches for 90%'s cause my last 300$ something from there netted a few 40%'s and a 1983s.
I'm sure tired of seeing bicentennials!

Upvote 0

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: box of pennies & 57$ in halves

Howdy Stu,

I usually buy whatever halves are on hand, even if I expect that it's a dump. I figure it this way: You never know if someone dumped $300.00 in halves and then another person came in and cashed in 2 solid rolls of Walking Libertys or Franklins. I bought $100 from a bank recently and some of it was obviously a dump. One roll looked like it was marked 68. I thought....hmm....that's probably actually full of '89s and is someone's attempt at humor (someone reading this post might even be laughing right now). It was. A solid roll of '89 halves. But a couple of rolls later, I did pull 3 40%ers out of a roll from that same buy, so obviously at least two people had contributed to the halves that I'd bought. Good luck if you pick 'em up.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008

Kantuck,

Had the same thing happen to me . Picked up somewhere around 400.00 in a marked dump, but found a solid roll of 40%, and two partial rolls.
On the flip side I've picked up some spectacular dumps many times. Then again it's no worse than 3 or 4 skunk boxes, and everyone gets them.
Also picked up dumps where the dumper missed a coin.
The best one was this miserable teller sells me a hundred or so in rolls and then says,with a snarl on her puss,"you wont find any silver in there,all the rolls have dates". They had dates alright. Three of the rolls were dated 1964-1969.

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC

I have a bank I cleaned out of halfs and they told me they keep any silver they can see, but don;t search rolls until opened. I went back and dumped 360 in rolled halfs, which was all they had on hand. Now, a week later, the teller tells me someone else brought in 130 rolled halfs, so it looks like I am going after my own dumps. Who knows, just might be silver in those other rolls. All I know for sure is, if I clean out the vault, anything else has potential. Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread