What are the funniest things you have heard from a teller or someone about coins

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Please tell me what is the funniest thing you heard a teller or someone say about coins you were picking up or any coins in general.

My funniest was when I picked up a quarter by the side of a road and someone told me "It's a silver dollar." I then said it was a state quarter and he said "Those are collectable, right?" :laughing7:

I have no idea how you can mistake a quarter for a large dollar, but I think the person never even saw what a silver dollar looks like.

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Teller: are you collecting those silver coins?
Me: all coins are silver, right?
Teller: "tries to explain to me about pre 1940 silver coins"

:laughing9:

BIGmintmark

Dec 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Went into a bank today the teller had two 1964 halves in her tray... I said hey can i buy those and they were dirty.. she responded.. "ewwww you want these?" You could just hear the echo of silver when she picked them up off the tray. I said yes i need them for my album. hahaha. Another guy told me from another bank that if i could get lucky enough to find a silver quarter it would be worth of 13 dollars lol

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
We don't have any half dollars, we only have whole dollars

Want some golden dollars?

How much are these silver eagles? Um... $57 (this was back when silver was ~$24 per ounce and they were uncirculated, not proof eagles)

wolfmann

Dec 30, 2006
My favorite is our you a customer here. I thinks thats funny because I tell them that I am a taxpayer and if they received bale out money then yes I do buisness here. Works only once in awhile!!

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like when you pay with an Ike at a fast food place and the person asks what they are? But what is even better is when a bank teller calls them an old half dollar.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I can't recall ever hearing anything funny about coins..

But I was rather amused today when I spent a couple halves for a hot dog at Costco. Gave the guy 3 halves, 2 being chrome plated. The guy just stared at the chrome plated ones forever. He didn't know what to make of them. He muttered to himself whether they were new. I knew they were chrome plated and one 1979 & 1985-D. Interesting that he didn't know what to do. I just said they're 50 cent pieces and tried to hurry him up. He eventually processed the transaction. Hopefully someone there will keep them and I won't have to find them in a box of skunks again. LOL.

OP
OP
sagittarius98

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Generic_Lad said:

How much are these silver eagles? Um... $57 (this was back when silver was ~$24 per ounce and they were uncirculated, not proof eagles)

By "whole dollars" did the person mean that there are no dollars sliced in half? Also, were the SAE at a bank or coin shop, or other place?

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
sagittarius98 said:
Generic_Lad said:

By "whole dollars" did the person mean that there are no dollars sliced in half? Also, were the SAE at a bank or coin shop, or other place?

I'm not sure about it, I didn't really ask I was too busy trying not to burst out laughing.

And yes, the ASE was at a bank, a lot of them around here sell silver eagles, (silver) proof sets, and the ever so popular "low grade coins packaged nicely" (like "coins from yesteryear" which contain a worn down Barber, Indian Head penny, Buffalo/V nickel, and Mercury dime for some insane price). While not so much anymore but it used to be during the big jump in silver prices you could find old ASEs that were overpriced back when silver was $4-8, but not so much anymore.

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Funniest coin related moment when I was spending a gold dollar at a gas station...and some white man who clearly grew up thinking he was a thug was like "oh :nono: " as I paid...then rushed to buy them. Well...only has a spare dollar. Ha.
I would have loved to see him try to sell it to a pawn shop or some thing

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
once I paid for a item at a fast food place (sonic) with the following --1 susan b (dollar) 1 golden sac (dollar) and 1 "ike" clad ( dollar) --total of $3 dollars --the kid said we do not take "foreign money" -- I had to explain it was not foreign but "valid" american money to him --he then had to get a "manager's approval " before acceptiing them in payment -- LOL.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:
ivan salis said:
once I paid for a item at a fast food place (sonic) with the following --1 susan b (dollar) 1 golden sac (dollar) and 1 "ike" clad ( dollar) --total of $3 dollars --the kid said we do not take "foreign money" -- I had to explain it was not foreign but "valid" american money to him --he then had to get a "manager's approval " before acceptiing them in payment -- LOL.

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Once I was dumping a full box of dimes at my dump bank. The guy dealing with a teller to the right of me saw me pull out a full box of dimes from my backpack and his eyes popped out of his head. He exclaimed "Some people would have a brick of gold but you have a brick of dimes." That gave us and the tellers a nice laugh.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
My best was probably when the teller handed over 10 rolls of half dollar while saying "you know there is no silver in there right?" I went to my car and opened 10 rolls of 40%ers and I was laughing all the way to the bank.

Golden Silver

beervestor

Jan 23, 2012
San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got interested in coins a couple months ago and this is what my girlfriend says..

Your like that old retarded guy in dear john who likes coins so much.

lol i thought it was funny :BangHead:

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After selling my my 4th box of halves for the week , she looks at me and says with huge eyes," YOU arent going to bring all these back to me are you?"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions