What are the funniest things you have heard from a teller or someone about coins

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Please tell me what is the funniest thing you heard a teller or someone say about coins you were picking up or any coins in general.

My funniest was when I picked up a quarter by the side of a road and someone told me "It's a silver dollar." I then said it was a state quarter and he said "Those are collectable, right?" :laughing7:

I have no idea how you can mistake a quarter for a large dollar, but I think the person never even saw what a silver dollar looks like.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
when they ask why do you get all those halves and what do you do with em?

--tell them your very OCD , so you have to count things --but after you counted them so many times you feel the need to get fresh ones to count * -- tell them your "dream job" as a OCD person would be being a bank teller where you get "paid" to count and sort money all day long. :tard:

that will shut them up and cut down on their busy body questions in the future :D

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
-me "Hi do you guys happen to have any half dollars?"

-teller "All I have are these big quarters." points to her tray which has somewhere around 10 dollars in halves

-the bank manager behind the teller tells her "Those are half dollars, not quarters"

$nack-Money

Jul 16, 2011
red89 said:

-teller "All I have are these big quarters." points to her tray which has somewhere around 10 dollars in halves

-the bank manager behind the teller tells her "Those are half dollars, not quarters"

I had a similar thing happen to me last week. I was dumping halves, when a young male teller walks by and exclaims: "Wow, look at all those big quarters!" I said: "yep, lots of them too!" :laughing7:

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
$nack-Money said:
red89 said:

I had a similar thing happen to me last week. I was dumping halves, when a young male teller walks by and exclaims: "Wow, look at all those big quarters!" I said: "yep, lots of them too!" :laughing7:

Should have told him they are collectable, make him save up some clad and get them out of rotation! hahaha

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
$nack-Money said:
red89 said:

Perhaps the 50-cent piece should have been called the "Double-Quarter" instead of "Half-Dollar" :tongue3:

OP
OP
sagittarius98

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
madwest said:
$nack-Money said:
red89 said:

Perhaps the 50-cent piece should have been called the "Double-Quarter" instead of "Half-Dollar" :tongue3:

Usually around the world, higher denominations (especially 50) are called as half _____. So to most mints, the glass is half empty, not half full like our wonderful banks think.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the nuttiest, craziest thing I've had, was a guy who came in the store and wanted to "sell" me a "real" $5.00 gold coin for "only $25.00, because he needed the money. (and he knew I collect coins).

Well, it was one of those make-believe thin plated Liberian coins that you can get on television for "only" 9.99. I'd like to say I was sorry to tell him that it wasn't even worth the $9.99, but, I can't - I enjoyed telling him, because he couldn't get his next fix from me.

Beth

OP
OP
sagittarius98

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
mrs.oroblanco said:
I guess the nuttiest, craziest thing I've had, was a guy who came in the store and wanted to "sell" me a "real" $5.00 gold coin for "only $25.00, because he needed the money. (and he knew I collect coins).

Well, it was one of those make-believe thin plated Liberian coins that you can get on television for "only" 9.99. I'd like to say I was sorry to tell him that it wasn't even worth the $9.99, but, I can't - I enjoyed telling him, because he couldn't get his next fix from me.

Beth

There have been some Liberian $5 coins made of actual gold. I have never seen any Liberian coins on TV for sale, only Kennedy halves plated with gold.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sagittarius98,

I think you might be incorrect, as I don't think Liberia made any $5.00 gold coins (though, God knows I sure could be wrong).

But, either way - these are NOT real coins, they sold them on TV a few years back, and, they were not worth the 10 bucks then, and certainly not
25 bucks now.

However, if you believe they are real, I will sell you as many as you want for 25.00 each. :laughing7: (not really-I wouldn't intentionally rip anyone off).

Beth

cbrtriple8

Aug 11, 2011
Paid with halves at Mckidies drive-thru and the Mexican lady was like" Are these Chinese money?" Geez amiga, I know I'm Chinese, but I am not dumb enough to spend Chinese money here.... :icon_scratch: :laughing7:
:headbang: :headbang:

OP
OP
sagittarius98

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
mrs.oroblanco said:
Sagittarius98,

I think you might be incorrect, as I don't think Liberia made any $5.00 gold coins (though, God knows I sure could be wrong).

But, either way - these are NOT real coins, they sold them on TV a few years back, and, they were not worth the 10 bucks then, and certainly not
25 bucks now.

However, if you believe they are real, I will sell you as many as you want for 25.00 each. :laughing7: (not really-I wouldn't intentionally rip anyone off).

Beth

I know the TV people always sell plated coins or microscopic coins and claim they are gold. They will get some buyers. As far as Liberia making gold $5, here are 2 printscreens (one for each coin) from my 2010 Krause ebook:

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 833
  • untitled1.JPG
    untitled1.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 812

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
new to my bank -- young "perky" blond big busted low cut top ditz teller at my bank leaning over talking to me at the drive thru window --upon me asking her for half dollars coins -- (her) are you looking for silver? -- (me thinking -- what else do you think :tard: - lord how dumb are they?) -- (my answer ) well I collect all the halves ( me thinking --shut up about silver already -- the other tellers here know nothing about 1965 to 1970 40% halves --your going to screw things up for me ) :BangHead:

how can one new bank teller chick look and act so dumb -yet still know about silver to the point that it can mess up my action? -- I mean the valley "view" was nice and all , but I'd rather have my silver instead. :thumbsup:

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
ivan salis said:
how can one new bank teller chick look and act so dumb -yet still know about silver to the point that it can mess up my action? -- I mean the valley "view" was nice and all , but I'd rather have my silver instead.

You DO know you are supposed to tell her that you are still seeking the elusive 1970-D, don't you? Doubtless the view just took your breath away for a minute there.

Rascal

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sagittarius98,

Thanks, I learn something new every day. My world coin book says that Liberia only made commemorative coins. This coin I am talking about was definitely a fake - and a tv one at that. It was the one that they pulled off the television and was not made by any real coin maker, and the "gold plating" was worth almost nothing. (it might be worth a little bit today, since gold is so much higher than it was then, but, still not $25.00).

Unfortunately, I know this WAY too well, since my father fell for just about every one of those scams - and when he died, I couldn't sell them to anyone.
(he also bought all those swords, and knives-now you know why I said I'd sell you a bunch for 25 bucks a piece).

Here is what a 1 dollar Liberia coin is worth, as of today: (

Thursday, March 8, 2012

1 US Dollar = 74.05000 Liberian Dollar
1 Liberian Dollar (LRD) = 0.01350 US Dollar (USD)

There is an entire "committee" or whatever, dedicated to that particular scam. The government (ours) said it was worth approximately 10 cents at the time. (again, gold was lower, and it wasn't really a gold coin).

It is STILL, the funniest thing I have ever heard about a coin.

Beth

OP
OP
sagittarius98

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
mrs.oroblanco said:
sagittarius98,

Thanks, I learn something new every day. My world coin book says that Liberia only made commemorative coins. This coin I am talking about was definitely a fake - and a tv one at that. It was the one that they pulled off the television and was not made by any real coin maker, and the "gold plating" was worth almost nothing. (it might be worth a little bit today, since gold is so much higher than it was then, but, still not $25.00).

Unfortunately, I know this WAY too well, since my father fell for just about every one of those scams - and when he died, I couldn't sell them to anyone.
(he also bought all those swords, and knives-now you know why I said I'd sell you a bunch for 25 bucks a piece).

Here is what a 1 dollar Liberia coin is worth, as of today: (

Thursday, March 8, 2012

1 US Dollar = 74.05000 Liberian Dollar
1 Liberian Dollar (LRD) = 0.01350 US Dollar (USD)

There is an entire "committee" or whatever, dedicated to that particular scam. The government (ours) said it was worth approximately 10 cents at the time. (again, gold was lower, and it wasn't really a gold coin).

It is STILL, the funniest thing I have ever heard about a coin.

Beth

The gold coins are commemorative. After the two issues, the commemorative coins were minted in silver and later in CuNi.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A teller at my half dump bank told me a lady was repeatedly trying to put an american eagle into the coin machine as it get spitting it out into the reject tray. The teller told the woman it was worth more than a dollar and she didn't care, she just wanted the dollar. so the teller bought it off her :sign13:

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D
mrs.oroblanco said:

Beth

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Got to love the commercial for the American gold buffalo.

Love the part when they say it's clad but show how much 1oz of gold is worth. It's only a few milligrams of gold.

Someone probably buys them for the 9.99 price thinking they are getting a real .999 1oz gold coin.

simaronde03

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
47thelement said:
I like when you pay with an Ike at a fast food place and the person asks what they are? But what is even better is when a bank teller calls them an old half dollar.

I went to Home Depot and paid with some Kennedy's i had in my pocket. The young kid asked what they were. I told him they were fifty cents. He replies with "Well I'm gonna have to call my manager to confirm that".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread