Gifts for tellers - Opinions

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a great relationship with my pickups, but my dump banks have been getting ornery (about 50%). I only bring 2 boxes of halves to each dump bank once a week, or at some once every 2 weeks. I am always very very friendly. However, I haven't gotten any food or other gifts for any of the banks/tellers yet. Honestly, it seems a bit awkward to me, and I'm afraid it would make them feel awkward. It seems though as most people on this site say gifts are the way to go.

Can I get all your opinions? Do you give tellers gifts, and if so how often and what? Have you ever gotten any so-so, awkward, or bad reactions? I just have this overwhelming feeling that they will think I'm trying to butter them up - although maybe they won't care! I would love if someone buttered me up a bit with some lunch and coffee

HH

Upvote 0

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SFB you freakin read my mind. I was thinking the same thing when one of my good banks let me buy 9 boxes of halves last week because they had a bunch left over. The boxes produced well too, which made me think I should bring them coffee or something. I started playing how that would go down in my mind and decided it would likely be awkward.

The tellers in my banks seem to either be happy to help me with coin, or at least tolerate it. I think I may go with BHs idea on the starbucks gift cards during Christmas.

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
eTrac, Excalibur II, ctx3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only treat the banks that save me old notes and silver. I usually give the head teller some $ and she will announce that so and so is buying us a pizza, and all the tellers go Yey!!!

Big Fat Cheeseball

Jun 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I give my regular pu and dump banks a box of chocolate ever so often. Cost me $9.95 Small price to pay for the amount of silver I collect thanks to them. They hold the ball if they decide that the game is over all they have to do is pick up the ball go home and the "game is over". I have a very good relationship with all my regular pu and dump banks. If your pu and dump banks don't mean that much to you then don't go out of your way to give them a treat once in awhile. How many times have we all read on here "my bank just cut me off" maybe a small token of appreciation may have been the key. Just remember that they hold the key to our hobby. If I lose one of my banks it is just going to cost me more time and gas to set up another. I have a routine setup that works great for me and it is worth the price of a box of chocolate.

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely I bring both dump and pick up bank tellers goodies out of the blue not just on the holidays.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best gift you can give a pickup bank is a huge smile that shows how much you appreciate what they are doing for you, Get to know the head teller, thank them for ordering you coins and tell them how much you appreciate it, they love the attention(usually).

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The absolute best thing you can do for tellers/managers is to fire in a letter to their corporate office praising their excellent customer service. These go into their personnel files and go a long way when it comes raise/promotion/bonus time.

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SFB you freakin read my mind. I was thinking the same thing when one of my good banks let me buy 9 boxes of halves last week because they had a bunch left over. The boxes produced well too, which made me think I should bring them coffee or something. I started playing how that would go down in my mind and decided it would likely be awkward.

The tellers in my banks seem to either be happy to help me with coin, or at least tolerate it. I think I may go with BHs idea on the starbucks gift cards during Christmas.

Great minds think alike my man!

canaboy123

Sep 22, 2011
N/A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me guess, Fed Reserve is on your speed dial. Ring.....hi will you connect me to my dad again please....

Do you really threaten them with the Fed, or are you seriously trolling.

i don't tell them i will get the Fed involved , but i usually work it out at branch level with the branch manager,but if they try to not let me use the coin counter which is a free service to customers,i'll file a discrimination report with the Fed so fast it'l make there head spin.

I do have the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia on speed dial though,better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I have some "special" tellers --that i have "groomed" --they go the extra mile --they call me when large dumps of CWR coins come in * especially if they are halves or seem to be a coin collection dump --they get the "extra" special treats of chocolate or other little goodies as a reward --(ala sheldon / penny --the big bang theory ) positive reenforcment of desired behavior

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have tipped on occasion, used to be more often before the tellers caught on and the silver in the trays "dried up".

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
My hands, ears, & eyes =D
Primary Interest:
Other
I think treats are a great idea. We haven't done them yet so I can't tell you how they reacted but I don't think they'll mind getting some goodies. I have these cute little chocolate covered oreo pops made to look like jack-o-lanterns that I plan on making for our most frequented banks in the next couple weeks. We have a few dump banks that we use on a weekly basis & for the most part they are very friendly or at least cordial. We do ocassionally get a grumble when we walk in the door with our cart full of coins, but they'll get over. Killing them all with kindness is always the best way, in my opinion. Even if we ever get cut off from them, at least they won't be able to say that we were rude or gave them a hard time. It's going to be hard to convince their management or higher ups that we should be stopped when we've brought them in goodies or bought them lunch.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My main dump bank is the best. They bend over backwards for me. At Christmas I bring in Subway sandwich platters. In June I bring a desert basket. For 3 years now, they have come to expect this . . . and I produce. Even better is the letters I send to the Bank CEO that mentions their outstanding service--and the folks are happy as these are placed in the files for raises.
apush

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a great relationship with my pickups, but my dump banks have been getting ornery (about 50%). I only bring 2 boxes of halves to each dump bank once a week, or at some once every 2 weeks. I am always very very friendly. However, I haven't gotten any food or other gifts for any of the banks/tellers yet. Honestly, it seems a bit awkward to me, and I'm afraid it would make them feel awkward. It seems though as most people on this site say gifts are the way to go.

Can I get all your opinions? Do you give tellers gifts, and if so how often and what? Have you ever gotten any so-so, awkward, or bad reactions? I just have this overwhelming feeling that they will think I'm trying to butter them up - although maybe they won't care! I would love if someone buttered me up a bit with some lunch and coffee

HH

I asked a teller to save silver for me she said she would a week later she hands me a silver dime. I asked her how much she said face.A week later she hands me 5 halfs 40% I got her a box of doughnuts. Then she gives me a 10 dollar silver cert for face. Another box of doughnuts. I told her the bill was worth 2 times face she said she looks at money all day and keep bringing the doughnuts.If they go above the job give them treats.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hershey for pickup and some dump banks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked a teller to save silver for me she said she would a week later she hands me a silver dime. I asked her how much she said face.A week later she hands me 5 halfs 40% I got her a box of doughnuts. Then she gives me a 10 dollar silver cert for face. Another box of doughnuts. I told her the bill was worth 2 times face she said she looks at money all day and keep bringing the doughnuts.If they go above the job give them treats.

I like your system

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am due to get all my good banks sweets or something. It helps a lot!! Spend about ? $8 to $12 on each for your best banks and half that for the rest. Or not?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Tellers are already paid decent money, unlike waitresses that are paid a couple bucks and rely on tips.
No one tips me and I work much harder than a teller.
Tellers have it easy, and I've never really gained anything by bringing treats or gift certs.

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
I disagree. I bring in a few bags of candy every couple months and am treated very well.

I'll be honest though-- I have been CRH for 3 years and always thought people bringing tellers treats was on the creepy side. After I lost a few pick up banks last year, I reconsidered and brought them candy. I have 8 pick up banks and still have them and 3 of them gladly take any new boxes I get from other banks and swap them out for circulated coins.

The one thing I have learned is the branch manager has all the power in the world to order for you or not. It is rarely ever the "company policy" to not order coins for someone. I know better as I have been told that by many banks and then go to another branch 5 minutes away that gladly orders for me. Getting on the good side of that person is all it takes to make your CRH life much easier. Something as little as a bag of candy seems like a pretty small price to pay for getting thousands of dollars in coins each month.

To each his own though. However, if you think there is no benefit to doing this, you are selling yourself short.

MU

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread