Gifts for tellers - Opinions

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a great relationship with my pickups, but my dump banks have been getting ornery (about 50%). I only bring 2 boxes of halves to each dump bank once a week, or at some once every 2 weeks. I am always very very friendly. However, I haven't gotten any food or other gifts for any of the banks/tellers yet. Honestly, it seems a bit awkward to me, and I'm afraid it would make them feel awkward. It seems though as most people on this site say gifts are the way to go.

Can I get all your opinions? Do you give tellers gifts, and if so how often and what? Have you ever gotten any so-so, awkward, or bad reactions? I just have this overwhelming feeling that they will think I'm trying to butter them up - although maybe they won't care! I would love if someone buttered me up a bit with some lunch and coffee

HH

Upvote 0

db23

Mar 18, 2011
Get them nothing and yourself thicker skin. IMO, a big part of the hobby is being able to deal with the potential dirty looks and unhappy tellers when you bring them 50-100lbs of coins.

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've definitely had to learn how to have thicker skin with dumping. I'm pissed at the rude looks I get, or the muttering of "great, more coins." It's like, listen people, I only bring you 2 boxes a week/every other week, which we agreed was ok when I opened up the account. Oh, I see, you'll do anything to get me to open an account, and then when it forces you do to a little extra work each week, you get upset. My bad. I just want to say "do you mutter under your breath when other customers come in? do you say 'oh great, this guy.'" I really want to point out how unprofessional it is. The problem is, when I lose my cool, I really really lose it. So, I have to be the calmest dude on earth, or I will break bridges very fast

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe if i had an older teller scoring me silver when i came in then id prolly get them a gift certificate for a local supper club

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have given chocolate or donuts on several occaisions. I am always greeted with a smile and a friendly word. I'm never denied wether it be to dump or pick up.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chocolate chip cookies have worked wonders for me for my pick-up banks. Not so much with the dump banks.

At one of my pick-up banks is a teller who snipes silver. I buttered her up with some homemade cookies and the next time I was in she handed me a couple 40%ers that someone brought in. She said she was going to add them to her stash, but since the cookies were so good she thought of me!

Brought cookies in two weeks later for all of the tellers to share, and the lady gave me two '64 quarters for my troubles.

I try my hardest to dump during off hours. But they still give me crap, like I'm a bad guy for expecting them to do their job. I don't waste my money on buying treats for the people at the dump banks. Also, it's the guy tellers and customer service reps that have the worst attitude about changing bags and such.

Last edited:

db23

Mar 18, 2011
I've definitely had to learn how to have thicker skin with dumping. I'm pissed at the rude looks I get, or the muttering of "great, more coins." It's like, listen people, I only bring you 2 boxes a week/every other week, which we agreed was ok when I opened up the account. Oh, I see, you'll do anything to get me to open an account, and then when it forces you do to a little extra work each week, you get upset. My bad. I just want to say "do you mutter under your breath when other customers come in? do you say 'oh great, this guy.'" I really want to point out how unprofessional it is. The problem is, when I lose my cool, I really really lose it. So, I have to be the calmest dude on earth, or I will break bridges very fast
This begs the question, why would you want to give gifts to tellers that are muttering negative things about you?

If a teller is good to me, then maybe they'll get a gift. If a teller is nasty, the only thing they get is a bigger dump next time.

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
When I hear "Oh great more coins." I say, GREAT! I have more in the car! :headbang:

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
In my case, theres a reason my Dumb Bank is my Dump Bank. I would never bring them anything. They treated me very poor and disrespected me. So they can carry 100 pound bags of pennies nickels dimes or halves. One guy in there gives me a dirty look everytime I come in, because he dosen't like carrying a $100 bag of cents, and 2 $200 bags of Nickels. I guess it shows you to treat the customers right. Anyway off of my rant, I bring cookies and stuff like that into the tellers at my Pickup bank. Gets me brownie points when "Funny Money" comes by. Funny thing about it is, I've bought from there for about 2 months now, and they call me whenever halves or anything comes in. They save me any Pre 1964 Coins (nickels, cents, quarters halves etc, I get alot of junk but hey i've gotten AG) (I don't mention silver :) ) or any big coins.

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a great thread, and I totally share in your awkward feelings. I went to my primary dump bank over the weekend and unloaded twice (Friday and Saturday). Same dude helped unload the bags. His manager was there both times. In asking if I could buy pizza for them as a token of gratitude for all the service they have provided for me, the [female dog] of a manager, says to me "well, we all ate already." She didn't say thank you, nor pay my gesture any mind, just trying to diminish my effort to pay it forward, so I agree with other replies; F the dump banks if they are going to put up a hissy fit. Plus, that dump bank also swipes silver for a teller that works there, so not worth my time, however, I have found silver quarters and dimes in their reject tray on several occasions, so I will keep coming back and dumping so big, heavy loads for those guys; that will be my way of showing my appreciation ;-P

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy a handful of $5 Starbuck gift cards for the merchant window tellers at Christmas, but thats all.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dump bank gets nothing from me but my whit. It is the bank I have had all of my family accounts at for well over 30 years, so when I dump I make a deposit that they have to take. Just this past Friday the teller asked me if I was the one who dropped off the box the week before, and i told her that I was. She said, "Yeah, we have been trying to get rid of those all week." I asked if they could just send them back the the Fed, and she said that it had to be a large amount for them to send. My reply, "I will be happy to help with that!" :laughing7:

My pickup bank will start getting little things here and there, especially as we get closer to the holidays.

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just did my first teller gift for my pickup bank that gives me silver, no complaints on half orders. Dropped off a container of fresh cookies, instantly all the other tellers wanted to know how to get in on the goodness.

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gift for tellers, great thread! - yeah my charm and mere presence for my pickup banks. And the gift of my deposit/exchange for my dump banks.

Nothing says, "I'm doing way better in life than you are" than by giving them trinket gifts. Cookies, chocolates, giftcards, candy etc. says to me, "I actually feel bad for you that you have to take my crap week after week for $14/hr, but here's a little somthing to numb the pain in your crappy life."

I also think this gesture varies from region to region. Phoenix, AZ you'll probably get an F bomb thrown at you for brining somthing in unless it's SBUX giftcards, whereas in Cumming, GA baked goods would probably get you a marriage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gift for tellers, great thread! - yeah my charm and mere presence for my pickup banks. And the gift of my deposit/exchange for my dump banks.

Nothing says, "I'm doing way better in life than you are" than by giving them trinket gifts. Cookies, chocolates, giftcards, candy etc. says to me, "I actually feel bad for you that you have to take my crap week after week for $14/hr, but here's a little somthing to numb the pain in your crappy life."

I also think this gesture varies from region to region. Phoenix, AZ you'll probably get an F bomb thrown at you for brining somthing in unless it's SBUX giftcards, whereas in Cumming, GA baked goods would probably get you a marriage.

Great thought, American culture is so varied. When I lived in TX, baked goods go a loooooong way. They love down-home friendliness, which I've always loved about the south. I live in the northeast now, and frankly it's difficult to tell what the reaction will be.

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way glad you guys like the thread - it's something I always wonder about. Thanks for the good responses.

I think one thing we can all agree on is that nasty dump banks just get more coins! This one I can live with

canaboy123

Sep 22, 2011
N/A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would i buy them anything? They have tryed to scare me away from depositing coins/buying boxes, but they learned where there place is,

*reaches for phone*

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would i buy them anything? They have tryed to scare me away from depositing coins/buying boxes, but they learned where there place is,

*reaches for phone*

Let me guess, Fed Reserve is on your speed dial. Ring.....hi will you connect me to my dad again please....

Do you really threaten them with the Fed, or are you seriously trolling.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at my one pickup bank, i bring a tin of cookies and 2 christmas tree ornaments for the main tellers, for my dump banks, i bring a sealed tin of butter cookies for $5 each... it goes a long way!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions