Recent purchase has me looking for inexpensive loupe suggestions
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Recent purchase has me looking for inexpensive loupe suggestions

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2009
    AR
    Minelab E-Trac
    1064 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Recent purchase has me looking for inexpensive loupe suggestions

Its time for me to purchase a loupe, and I doubt I have to look any further than my CRH buddies for a few good suggestions. I'm not a big "error hunter" so I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on one. It will mainly be used to search for doubled die errors on the coins I already possess and any I obtain/find in the future. All suggestions would be appreciated!

What has lead to this is that I recently purchased 4 rolls of silver quarters sight unseen for a pretty good price. I would like to search them for the DDOs that exist just to make sure that I don't toss a coin worth more than melt into the "junk" silver pile. I had already made a pretty good purchase, but near the bottom of the first roll I opened it got even better. Out popped a 1932-S that after consulting the PCGS Photograde Online website, I believe would grade a solid XF40.

Charter Member
    us
    Cat teaches man, not everything here serves him.

Feb 2011
    S. Fl.
    Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
    7257 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    My local jewelry store, when I just happened to mention that I metal detect and need a good loupe, opened a drawer pulled out a jewelers loupe and gave it to me. They had a drawer full of them.
    I've used it for many years now.
    Yesterday is history, tomorow a mystery. All we have is the here and now, it's a special gift. That's why we call it "The Present"

Pity the poor agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog.

us
    Jul 2010
    Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
    272 times
    Coin roll hunting, British coins, ancient coins, antiquities
    Just search eBay and find some cheap ones from China.

30 x 21mm Glass Jeweler Loupe Eye Magnifier Magnifying | eBay

30x 21mm Jeweler Loupe Glass Eye Magnifying Magnifier | eBay

Of course the power just depends on preference. There are some people I know that use minimal power loupes (3-10x) and others that only use higher powered ones (15-30x)

And, yes, the ones you get from China on eBay are exactly like the stuff you'd be getting from Whitman/Lighthouse

For example,

Whitman 10X Magnifier With LED Light*-*Other*-*Coin Magnifiers and Loupes*-*Coin Tools*-*Wizard Coin Supply

Is pretty much a branded version of the eBay one only selling for several times the cost of the generic one!
    Speeding up Gresham's law one roll at a time

us
    Aug 2012
    Southern California
    194 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Mine. Two for under 5 bucks... one for home, one for work.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001C9N9OM/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1353376315&sr=8-3&pi=SL75

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    1750 times
    I would recommend one with a light source. I frequent many auctions per week and the lighting can be horrible. Having an LED light integrated in the magnifier is very helpful.

us
    Dec 2009
    AR
    Minelab E-Trac
    1064 times
    I appreciate the suggestions. I did not intend for this to be a, "Will you please google/ebay this for me" type post. I had already looked on ebay and saw the cheap Chinese loupes as well as some of the more expensive models. I was just hoping someone had some experience with what I had seen and could point me in the right direction, or more importantly steer me away from any particular model that was complete garbage. I should have stated that. My apologies.

Aug 2012
    333 times
    I use a basic 20X jewelers loupe for varieties and a basic 10x loupe for grading. Light sources are always a challenge, I use my phones built in LED flashlight if I need more light.

Apr 2013
    south eastern PA
    2 times
    Prospecting
    I'm in the same boat...so to speak.

I want to pick up a hobbyist quality jewelers loupe but don't want to pick up a piece of junk either. They are cheap enough on ebay etc.

It looks like getting one with a light source is a good idea. I hadn't thought of that. I want to take it with me in the field, when I'm out panning the creeks.

Feb 2013
    1164 times
    I bought this one:
    Amazon.com: SE Illuminated Loupe with LED Light - 20X: Jewelry

It sure has met my limited needs.

It's an Amazon "add on" so you need to spend $25 to add this on to your order - which never seems to be an issue (dog food, razors, phone accessories, work pants/shoes etc) becuase you can find some very good deals for items you use daily!
    Check out my eBay store - buy directly and save 10% off your purchase!
    http://stores.ebay.com/nocommoncentscoinsandmore/

us
    Apr 2013
    New York
    101 times
    You need a triplet 10x and that's it. Anything more, and the magnification will be too high and the image too large. They are around $5 to $10 bucks.

If you're checking gemstones or jewelry, then I suggest a loupe with a black casing to offset any reflection. If you need any back lighting, and are looking at loose gems for example, you can use a pen light and flash it from underneath the object. And if you don't mind spending for quality, then I suggest getting a Belomo Triplet 10X.

Also, be sure to google information for properly using a loupe. A good majority of people don't know how to use one correctly, and getting it right makes all of the difference in the world. It's also the first thing a dealer will look at (if you're in a field of trade) to size you up accordingly.
    twiasp and Megalodon like this.

Apr 2013
    south eastern PA
    2 times
    Prospecting
    Thanks for those two suggestions...I'll look into the both as options.

us
    Apr 2011
    1322 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Metro Retro View Post
    You need a triplet 10x and that's it. Anything more, and the magnification will be too high and the image too large. They are around $5 to $10 bucks.

If you're checking gemstones or jewelry, then I suggest a loupe with a black casing to offset any reflection. If you need any back lighting, and are looking at loose gems for example, you can use a pen light and flash it from underneath the object. And if you don't mind spending for quality, then I suggest getting a Belomo Triplet 10X.

Also, be sure to google information for properly using a loupe. A good majority of people don't know how to use one correctly, and getting it right makes all of the difference in the world. It's also the first thing a dealer will look at (if you're in a field of trade) to size you up accordingly.

Great information here. I recently bought a triplet 10x, as well as a lighted 30x and 60x (that second hole is REEAALLLLL small!), but I've had a heck of a time figuring out how to use the 10x. Both cost me $10 (each); a little high, but I bought them from my LCS, and didn't mind giving him the business.

Jun 2012
    Oklahoma
    Equinox 800, Ace 250
    369 times
    I've purchased just about every style of loupe available. I stopped looking when I found the hands free jewelry loupe on eye glass frame. These are awesome. I have several pair of them now. They have an LED light for illumination. They are adjustable. I would suggest buying a 10x loupe first. You can buy a single eye or a dual eye. Both have advantages. Then buy the 20x loupe. Here's an example of the 10x dual. If you're just doing a few coins at a time, you might as well buy the single:

New 10x Hand Free Dual Illuminated Loupe on Eye Glass Frame MG1312S US Seller | eBay

us
    ebay "ulster-relic"

Dec 2012
    port ewen ny
    AT-PRO
    7354 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I use a jeweler's 10X tied to my right eyeglass lens for roll searching. any odd anomaly gets the lighted 30X to confirm <<<<AND>>>> most important--- eliminate PMD. amazing how an "error" can just be a damaged coin. study error-ref.com to learn what's real and how it happens. on Ebay just check for US only shippers closest to you --- most all are made in China.

10 pack of batteries LR927 cost about $2--- youze gonna need 'em
    Sleepy Holow and A2coins like this.

us
    Mar 2018
    Bryant, WI
    Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
    1549 times
    CRH, hockey cards
    Not sure as to your budget, but if you have a computer and want to take it easy:

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Micr...4-3e7a9c0027d0

I use it and love it. Can also take pictures and video. Only drawbacks is its tough to take pictures of anything larger than a penny, and the suction cup kinda sucks (in the wrong way).
    Sleepy Holow likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links