Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree that junk silver is great because you are paid per coin - well, depending on where you sell. Pawn shops weight them (one more way of ripping you off), but provident metals pays per coin, regardless of wear.

However, I disagree that silver dollars are a bad investment. Morgans in particular are a great way to hedge against potentially bearish silver. they will always be worth at least $20-30 bucks, even if silver tanks.
Hmmmm...3 years ago I was buying all the Morgans I could get for $12 ea...you think they will hold a premium that high? Sure hope so =)

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a question in regards to picking up silver on ebay. Is running into fakes as far as ,dimes and halves, a big concern with ebay? If so, does anyone have any pointers on spotting the fakes? I've seen some mercs that I would bid on if I could win it low enough. Same with halves. Thanks for any input!

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silver on ebay is a sellers market for the most part.

But, it's nice, you can get any amount for a little over melt.

Don't buy exotic CC morgans, or weird silver bars, or anything with 'clad' in the description.

I would develop a relationship with your local coin shop, and spend 10 or twenety dollars, or whatever your budget is, on silver. Perhaps a generic oz, or silver eagle if they are a good price - sub $35 dollars. You will not be getting 35 dollar eagles on ebay.

If your coin shop is bad, then move on. They should be excited to see you, and happy to help.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a question in regards to picking up silver on ebay. Is running into fakes as far as ,dimes and halves, a big concern with ebay? If so, does anyone have any pointers on spotting the fakes? I've seen some mercs that I would bid on if I could win it low enough. Same with halves. Thanks for any input!

It's sometimes hard to tell, as the Chinese are so good at fakes now.

Also, as far as investing, Britannias are good. You will pay more over spot, but they have extremely low mintages, so even if silver tanked, they would be worth around the $30 mark I'm sure.

2012 1 OZ SILVER BRITANNIA | Buy Silver Britannias

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thorne said:
I've considered buying on these lows. And reselling back to the lcs. On the highs. If i buy 100 @ roughly 30$ apiece that's 3k and if silver hits 35 again ill Mae a quick 500$. Problem is if it drops even more.

LCS won't pay spot.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just went to P-metals dot com. I bought a 2013 panda at the LCS the other day, now I might be obsessed with world bullion. I picked a 2013 brittania, and a kook. Then a half oz dragon. They all look great in the photos.

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im trying to find the right time(when i have enough money) to buy $100 face value in dimes. I can buy at around $23 per ounce with silver at $29.10. I will sell them right away though to provident metals. Minus shipping i could make around a 375- 400 dollar profit. I would do this until they run out of coins for me to buy and i'd have a lot more hunting money.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
morgans and eagles seem too high to me with silver at 29. MY local shop wants 6 over spot for eagles, why isn't anyone reasonable? How can eagles be so much over spot when they are only good for bullion?

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually there is a numismatic value to eagles as well. So 5-6 overspot is normal. Plus look on the usmint site they sell over spot as well

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
morgans and eagles seem too high to me with silver at 29. MY local shop wants 6 over spot for eagles, why isn't anyone reasonable? How can eagles be so much over spot when they are only good for bullion?

REalistically, shoot for 2 over spot for the collectable bullions - maples, eagles, ect.

Other bullion runs about 9+ over spot per OZ - pandas, and other premium bullions.

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im trying to find the right time(when i have enough money) to buy $100 face value in dimes. I can buy at around $23 per ounce with silver at $29.10. I will sell them right away though to provident metals. Minus shipping i could make around a 375- 400 dollar profit. I would do this until they run out of coins for me to buy and i'd have a lot more hunting money.

If you can buy at 23 per ounce or what would come out to 16.45 face buy all you can right now.

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can buy at 23 per ounce or what would come out to 16.45 face buy all you can right now.

yeah i think i'll have enough to buy $100 face value after I cash out my clad a couple times. I drop about $1000 every time i go to the bank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread