Anyone Buying Silver?

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Visited my LCD and they are selling generic rounds for $31.00. There were two ASE's in that stack as well. New ASE's are $34.00. 90 percent coins are 22times face value which comes in at about $1.50 give or take a little over spot. All in all they seem pretty fair. Planning to go back and pick up some stuff. Do these sound like good prices to you guys?

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ase in my area sell for 4-5 over spot. Junk silver you should shoot for just under to just over spot. Try to buy a lot of.junk silver at once to try and haggle a deal. I.e. 1 dime is 1.50$ but 100 dimes for like 120$

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im trying to find the right time(when i have enough money) to buy $100 face value in dimes. I can buy at around $23 per ounce with silver at $29.10. I will sell them right away though to provident metals. Minus shipping i could make around a 375- 400 dollar profit. I would do this until they run out of coins for me to buy and i'd have a lot more hunting money.

I'm not a fan of going into debt unless its an absolute necessity, but in this case it makes perfect sense. I would borrow the money to buy ALL the silver your seller has @ $23/oz. Immediately sell enough to pay off your loan completely, and either pocket the free silver, or sell it all for an instant profit.

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a 1940s walking liberty a 1940s quarter, 1940s merc and a 1940s penny, free shipping on ebay...total hit $20 dollars. I barely buy silver because I like to get it free* but when silver is dry its always good luck to keep some fresh on your mind for the future.

**time, gas and the occasional weird looks from people**

mtk76

Jan 9, 2013
3rd District
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My small time CRH wasnt yielding much but fun (besides the dumps).

Found a pretty nice spot where I bought some nice looking walker halves and a 48 ben that looked near perfect for 10$ each. How do we define junk these coins look quite a bit nicer than some of the crap I bought for spot so very happy with that purchase.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Junk silver is any silver that is just worth melt value and has no collector's premium.

Not all junk silver is created equal. Some has a lot of wear, other can look brand new. It's always better to get junk silver with minimal wear. It can be surprising how many heavily worn dimes can fit in a tube designed to hold fifty. Or another way to look at it is to put fifty worn barbers in a tube and it might only be 2/3 full. When you buy junk silver at X times face, you can get less then you thought when there is a lot of wear. HH

mtk76

Jan 9, 2013
3rd District
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good pts I bought a lot of worn stuff early but now only by nicer looking junk that you'd be happy to have in a coin book. Can't lose that way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread