Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Anyone Buying Silver?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2012
    East Coast
    Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
    201 times
    Metal Detecting

Anyone Buying Silver?

I have been having trouble finding silver lately. Anyone out there buying while the price is under $29? If so what, where, how much? My local coin shop just closed up. Told me when I called to see if I could trade 40% for silver quarters.

us
    Apr 2012
    Left coast
    Love to treasure hunt
    1955 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    The coins shops are treating me right during this slump. Eagles are around 31-34, and generics are 30.
    toorude89 likes this.

us
    Apr 2012
    144 times
    Buy, buy, buy! I have been getting everything I can get my hands on lately as long as I can spare the cash. By the way, if you are buying now, the best bang for your buck is junk silver coins. When it comes time to sell, you are usually paid per coin—not by weight. Your percentage of what you are getting vs. what you are paying is better on junk silver coins. Therefore, your return should also be better when you go to sell. I know the Eagles and even the Morgans and Peace dollars look and feel cool to hold in your hand; but, for the most part, you are paying some kind of premium for those coins that you will never recoup when it comes time to sell. Buy halves, quarters, and dimes, the more worn and ugly, the better. This way you are primarily only paying for the silver value (assuming your coin shop owner is a straight shooter). I know it's not as much fun; but, when you are rich someday, you can have lots of other kinds of fun. :-)
    Last edited by OtlFrutiger; Mar 04, 2013 at 03:35 PM. Reason: typos

us
    Jul 2010
    Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
    270 times
    Coin roll hunting, British coins, ancient coins, antiquities
    Yep, I've been buying some here and there although lately things are priced at nearly 33/tOZ at my local coin shops. So lately I've been buying silver jewellery at various places close to spot (and considering selling some of the better pieces on eBay for a profit)
    Speeding up Gresham's law one roll at a time

Jan 2013
    9 times
    Not physical.

us
    "Dad"

Dec 2012
    Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
    Minelab Sovereign XS 2 Pro
    282 times
    Mental.

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    2461 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I can't find any local. I have been buying from the houses online, but it's 3+ weeks to wait, and by the time I get the goods, silver is down $2. It's weird that the demand is there, but the price keeps dropping.
    I did read this today.
    Silver
    Prices Defy the "Law of Supply and Demand"

us
    Apr 2012
    144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
    I can't find any local. I have been buying from the houses online, but it's 3+ weeks to wait, and by the time I get the goods, silver is down $2. It's weird that the demand is there, but the price keeps dropping.
    I did read this today.
    Silver
    Prices Defy the "Law of Supply and Demand"
    Great article! I've always firmly believed in buying physical silver. If I can hold it my hand, then I really own it.
    fistfulladirt likes this.

Sep 2012
    98 times
    My LCS has his prices set as if silver was $50 an oz. ASE's at $55, Merc Dimes $4 each, what he deems junk 90% halves at $13 each.

Craigslist has roughly 20 ads a day looking for silver. The one seller I found was asking $15 each per 90%. Good luck if you can find deals.

us
    Apr 2012
    144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Walla183 View Post
    My LCS has his prices set as if silver was $50 an oz. ASE's at $55, Merc Dimes $4 each, what he deems junk 90% halves at $13 each.

Craigslist has roughly 20 ads a day looking for silver. The one seller I found was asking $15 each per 90%. Good luck if you can find deals.
    Sounds like it's time to shop around. My LCS is high, but the one about 12 miles away is much better. For example, just today I bought some Franklin halves $11.50 each. The Eagles were listed as $35, and the junk Morgans were $30. Hell, this place is so cool on pricing, they will trade me two rolls of wheat pennies for a silver dime!

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    2461 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    The ASE's at the local monthly show in my hometown last weekend were $32.50 (or less depending on how well you dicker @ qty. 20/roll). Cull silver dollars still $30. I just bought 20/1 oz. Silvertowne bars at a $1 premium online.

us
    Mar 2012
    Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 Garrett Ace 250
    1892 times
    Coin Roll Hunting/ Metal detecting
    I've been picking up Quarters here for a little while now, I've been buying at least 2-4 every week from my LCS, they are the only thing I can't find in the wild so I buy them when I find them. HH, Maverick.

us
    Mar 2012
    Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 Garrett Ace 250
    1892 times
    Coin Roll Hunting/ Metal detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    Mental.

LMAO, ZIng!
    CoinFetcher, agme and AdDicted2Ag like this.

us
    Feb 2011
    America
    1618 times
    My LCS is a rip off, ASE's cash only at $49.99+tax each... though they do have 1/10 oz AGE's for $199.99+tax, not sure if paying $2,000 an ounce of gold is a large premium or not...
    hh
    HH
    BuffaloBoy

us
    Apr 2011
    1187 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
    I can't find any local. I have been buying from the houses online, but it's 3+ weeks to wait, and by the time I get the goods, silver is down $2.

Not sure I understand your concern. Had you bought locally for the same price, 3 weeks later the price would still be down $2, and I assume you wouldn't have sold at a loss regardless. Personally, I don't see the difference whether I physically have possession immediately or 3+ weeks later, as long as I'm satisfied with the price when I buy it...
    Last edited by FormerTeller; Mar 04, 2013 at 06:02 PM. Reason: clarification
    sagittarius98 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links