Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Nifc coins, i dont get it

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2013
    Illinois
    garrett ace 250
    159 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Nifc coins, i dont get it

If they are nifc why do I find so many in circulation?

Some people think they will be worth money in the future because the mintages are low on them. Most post 2002 or 2001 whatever it is that are non silver have a mintage of 1.5-3 million. There are old walkers that have mintages of 1-1.5 million that are worth spot, same as a walker with 30 million minted. So how is a coin that 75 years newer and not a pm going to hold any kind of numismatic value, especially with around 10 years with of low minting?
    "Sure, Ive been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, Im not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries arent as good. That used to be called patriotism." KP

Charter Member
    cn
    Jul 2013
    Hong Kong China
    227 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Uh ohh, this threads gonna get heated pretty quick haha.

Here's my opinion: The low mintage halfs (post 2002) will offer a larger premium in the future because they will be harder and harder to find due to so many people hoarding them and eventually being worn out of circulation. Currently they are worth 2x to 4x FV on ebay. A roll of NIfC halfs (2002-2008) on eBay sells for around 20 to 30 bucks right now. There is no reason why this price should drop in the future, the price can only go up. Here's the eBay link:

2002 2008 Kennedy Half Dollar Lot 20 Coins UNCIRCUL8TD BU Roll from US Mint Sets | eBay

It's totally personal preference wither or not YOU think they are worth keeping. Personally I keep the post 2002 halfs, all 2009 (Cents, Nickels, Dimes, and Quarters), but I don't keep any of the older nickels from the late 40's 50's or 60's. Like I said its all personal preference about what is worth keeping. Another thing people hoard are the Ikes, personally I don't see them worth hoarding. What you keep is all up to you and everyone has their own opinions about it.

Happy Hunting! Curious to see what other have to say
    sagittarius98 likes this.
    2014 GOALS!

CRH
    66.04/250oz Ag
    9/40 Bens
    0/1 Barber
    0/1 Seated
    208.5k/1,000,000 Searched

eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/Ryans-Super-Collectables

Should be a fun year! Best wishes to all of you!

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    1006 times
    silver surfing
    I spend those suckers as fast as I find them.
    SilverForBrains likes this.

us
    May 2013
    WI
    180 times
    I just don't understand why anyone would dump anything that they can get double face value for. I mean, copper cents don't even get that kind of profit margin, and plenty of people save those (and/or sell them). For me, saving them for future increases is irrelevant. They're worth something right now, if you're willing to put the very small effort into gathering and selling them.
    "We never go after things in themselves, but the pursuit of things." - Blaise Pascal

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    1006 times
    silver surfing
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesandsons View Post
    I just don't understand why anyone would dump anything that they can get double face value for. I mean, copper cents don't even get that kind of profit margin, and plenty of people save those (and/or sell them). For me, saving them for future increases is irrelevant. They're worth something right now, if you're willing to put the very small effort into gathering and selling them.
    How many have you sold, and what method do you use to sell, if you don't mind my asking?

us
    Apr 2011
    670 times
    Pretty sure that listing that was referred to earlier in the thread didn't sell. If you can get more than face value, great! I see no upside in the future for those tho.

us
    Feb 2010
    Richmond VA
    519 times
    NIFC's were already sold to collectors in the first place, so for the most part anyone who wants them already has them. I don't see where the demand will come from that ever drives prices up - I doubt they'll ever be worth much of a premium, and certainly not worth a premium in my lifetime. I keep them because I'm OCD, but I'm sure I'll dump most of them for it's all said and done.
    sagittarius98 and accordselux like this.

us
    Jun 2011
    Southeastern MI
    221 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Uh ohh, this threads gonna get heated pretty quick haha.

Here's my opinion: The low mintage halfs (post 2002) will offer a larger premium in the future because they will be harder and harder to find due to so many people hoarding them and eventually being worn out of circulation. Currently they are worth 2x to 4x FV on ebay. A roll of NIfC halfs (2002-2008) on eBay sells for around 20 to 30 bucks right now. There is no reason why this price should drop in the future, the price can only go up. Here's the eBay link:

2002 2008 Kennedy Half Dollar Lot 20 Coins UNCIRCUL8TD BU Roll from US Mint Sets | eBay

It's totally personal preference wither or not YOU think they are worth keeping. Personally I keep the post 2002 halfs, all 2009 (Cents, Nickels, Dimes, and Quarters), but I don't keep any of the older nickels from the late 40's 50's or 60's. Like I said its all personal preference about what is worth keeping. Another thing people hoard are the Ikes, personally I don't see them worth hoarding. What you keep is all up to you and everyone has their own opinions about it.

Happy Hunting! Curious to see what other have to say

The link you provided was for BU NIFCs halves (brilliant uncirculated) The NIFCs that I usually find are AU, which is different.
    I am in agreement that one can sell NIFCs on Ebay for a profit. Like anything else the price you will get will fluctuate with quality of the coin and interest of the buyer(s).
    I have kept 3 sets of NIFCs for posterity ( I don't expect any big payoff in the next 20-30 yrs)
    FormerTeller likes this.

May 2012
    378 times
    I really don't think they are worth more than face value. I don't think they are that rare. I find tons of them in each box I search and never really contemplated saving them. I did get two mint rolls or NIFC's from a teller one time. I searched ebay to see what they were going for and it really wasn't even worth listing them. I think the only mint rolls that had sold on ebay went for $15-17 per roll and a lot of them had not sold. When I factored in the packaging, shipping, and hassle of listing and going to the post office not to mention the 12% ebay/paypal fee I deemed it not worth my time and sold them to a local coin shop for face value and future consideration in my dealings with them.

Considering a mint roll would be worth more than NIFC's that you find in a circualted box, I think anyone saving them is wasting their time. That's just my opiniion. With that being said, I encourage all hunters to save as many NIFC's as they possibly can since that will lessen the amount of worthless clad that I have to shuffle through every week.
    FormerTeller likes this.

us
    May 2013
    WI
    180 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
    How many have you sold, and what method do you use to sell, if you don't mind my asking?
    I haven't sold any yet myself - just looking at the completed/sold auctions on eBay. Looking at it again, I'd have to say my initial statement that they easily sell for 2x-4x face value was an overstatement for the AU coins we typically see in rolls. I'd say 1.5x-2x is more accurate. Still worth it, in my opinion.

I haven't sold anything at all on eBay since I started CRH, but I expect to list several things in the next few weeks. My "inventory" is getting to large, and I need to replenish the growing hole in my bank account.
    "We never go after things in themselves, but the pursuit of things." - Blaise Pascal

us
    May 2012
    Southern United States
    716 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    I keep the better ones for my albums, I'm trying to get some others (if I can find a cheap album to throw them in) and sell them, hoping to profit on them, but the few that I have sold were tough sells. I had a lot of like $10 FV and they sat on eBay for about a month (3 listing cycles) before anyone watched or bid on them. I ended up selling them for like $16 or so (a lot of different years).

On the other hand, I sold an uncirculated roll of 1994-D halves for ~$17 (found them in a CWR at a bank last year). <--- Sold the first time I listed them.

- DS

Sep 2012
    186 times
    I don't save them aside from whatever I need to fill in holes in my coin album, but try to buy a missing NIFC on ebay and see how much you will have to pay. There's enough of a premium there that I don't buy any, just search for them.

Also, U.S. mint rolls of NIFCs are a different story. I've sold rolls of those that I picked up at face for a good profit.

us
    May 2013
    WI
    180 times
    I've finally put my theory to the test and put some of these up on ebay. I completed the entire P&D run from 2002-2011, and listed the 20 coin lot with a minimum bid of $13.99 + $3 shipping (which would net me about $1.50 after fees). The bid is up to $20 right now, with 6 hours to go. That would leave me about $17 after fees, which is 1.7x face value. Not great, but I'd say it was worth the hassle.

Not including a link because I don't want to cross any lines about selling on here. I just thought it was useful to the discussion about whether these are worth keeping or not.

Ag_Forager
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesandsons View Post
    I've finally put my theory to the test and put some of these up on ebay. I completed the entire P&D run from 2002-2011, and listed the 20 coin lot with a minimum bid of $13.99 + $3 shipping (which would net me about $1.50 after fees). The bid is up to $20 right now, with 6 hours to go. That would leave me about $17 after fees, which is 1.7x face value. Not great, but I'd say it was worth the hassle.

Not including a link because I don't want to cross any lines about selling on here. I just thought it was useful to the discussion about whether these are worth keeping or not.
    Nice follow-up Jamesandsons.

Mar 2013
    644 times
    Thats not bad though for a roi- im 2 away (2011p) away from having my 2 sets completed-

-------------------------------------
    just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors