FOUND MY FIRST DOUBLE DIE LINCOLN!!!!!!!!!

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Well boys this is by far my best find ever, for a single coins value that is.

I went through 2 boxes of cents tonight. first box gave up only 5 wheats. However, one was a beautiful 1951-D red gem. Always nice to find. The next box held 12 wheats with one being a 1917. Well the last box also held another little gem.

IMG_20131031_220715_019-1.jpg

Yep that's right. I found a 1983 DDR.:hello2::hello2::hello2: I could not believe my eyes when I flipped it over. I leaped so far out of my chair I practically knocked over the table. Well it is not in the greatest condition ever but still sits at a good $150:headbang:, not bad of a 1 cent investment :laughing7:

Here are a couple more pics for yall

IMG_20131031_220811_614-1.jpg
IMG_20131031_220729_566-1.jpg
IMG_20131031_220744_131-1.jpg
IMG_20131031_220803_677-1.jpg

Upvote 0

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spectacular find!! Those are super rare. That's the first I've ever heard anyone find. I have a 65rd, but paid $375 for mine. Congrats!!

SanMartian

Apr 15, 2013
Skunksville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! The doubling is very pronounced and it looks to be a solid XF. Super cool!

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang that's a cool coin- can totally tell with out the loupe
Congrats

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
moff347

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I joined this site this previous March and since then I do not recall anyone finding a 1983 DDR. Have any of yall ever heard of one of the individuals on this site running across one of these gems???

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one about 3 years ago that would probably go MS-63.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome find. Still on my wishlist. Congrats!!

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well boys this is by far my best find ever, for a single coins value that is.

I went through 2 boxes of cents tonight. first box gave up only 5 wheats. However, one was a beautiful 1951-D red gem. Always nice to find. The next box held 12 wheats with one being a 1917. Well the last box also held another little gem.

View attachment 891424

Yep that's right. I found a 1983 DDR.:hello2::hello2::hello2: I could not believe my eyes when I flipped it over. I leaped so far out of my chair I practically knocked over the table. Well it is not in the greatest condition ever but still sits at a good $150:headbang:, not bad of a 1 cent investment :laughing7:

Here are a couple more pics for yall

View attachment 891425
View attachment 891426
View attachment 891427
View attachment 891428

good
find

foundinrolls

Jun 6, 2006
That is a great find! Let me tell you that your coin is an early die state example which means that the coin was struck early in the run with the effected die. Consequently, the doubling is very strong and crisp. That increases the value to a degree as many 1983 DDR examples are mid to late die state. It's a Fabulous looking coin on the reverse. I hope the obverse is as nice.

As far as finding them, I've found six in total. I kept one and sold all the rest over the years.

I lived in Lebanon, PA for many years and these were a "local" discovery. The earliest finds were in the Lancaster, PA area so I had a better chance of finding them.

I have emails from a few people that have found them in rolls so they are still out there!

Those in PA probably still have a better chance to find one in a roll.

Have Fun,
Bill O'

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great find! Let me tell you that your coin is an early die state example which means that the coin was struck early in the run with the effected die. Consequently, the doubling is very strong and crisp. That increases the value to a degree as many 1983 DDR examples are mid to late die state. It's a Fabulous looking coin on the reverse. I hope the obverse is as nice.

As far as finding them, I've found six in total. I kept one and sold all the rest over the years.

I lived in Lebanon, PA for many years and these were a "local" discovery. The earliest finds were in the Lancaster, PA area so I had a better chance of finding them.

I have emails from a few people that have found them in rolls so they are still out there!

Have Fun,
Bill O'

Interesting to know.

Congrats to the OP! Still on my wish list!

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Have Fun,
Bill O'

Six? Wow! That's awesome. I guess when it rains, it pours. I wish I'd have known that 2 yrs ago when I was there. I would have bought 10 boxes of cents & sent them home.

It seems like most errors are found in concentrations like that: the '82 no P dimes were mostly found in Ohio; the Wisconsin extra leaf quarters were mostly found in AZ & TX; the '55 doubled die was mostly found in New England - a lot of them in cigarette packs (2c in package as change - they sold for 25c in vending machines).

OP
OP
moff347

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah I heard about the Wisconsin error being prominent in the Houston, TX area. As a result I boosted my quarter boxes several months ago, but have thus far been unsuccessful. Thus far I have found the following:

- 3 Arizona extra cactus leaf
- 1 Alaska seven claw
- 1 Idaho semi-major cud
- Several Delaware spitting horses
- 1 spitting eagle (1996 i think)
- 2 dozen or so die cracks
- 5 Silver quarters
- 2 Proofs

foundinrolls

Jun 6, 2006
It turns out that initial discoveries of major die varieties are regional and the reason is fairly logical. This scenario is general and not specific but it illustrates a point. If you imagine back to an earlier time, coin presses were used that sometimes had 4 pair of dies working at the same time. One pair of dies would be producing whatever die variety was being created. Let's say the 1983 DDR.

OK, the coins were struck and fell into a huge bin and that means that a huge bin was eventually filled with a mix of coins where about 25% of the total could be 1983 DDR cents. They would be relatively concentrated at this point.

In '83 cents were bagged in $50 (5000 coin) bags. The mix is getting diluted depending upon how the cents were in the bin, prior to bagging but you would still have a better chance of a DDR being in the bag.

So at that point, bags are delivered to the Federal Reserve bank in Philly and from there the coins were distributed to counting companies like Brinks. Now the banks closer to Philly would be more likely to get the coins from Brinks. Thus, the 1983DDR cents had a higher distribution in the Lancaster PA area since that is what, about 50 miles outside of Philly.

Often a larger percentage of a certain die variety ends up turning up in a certain area because the distribution chain keeps the coins together, more or less until they really get out there in circulation.

foundinrolls

Jun 6, 2006
Yeah I heard about the Wisconsin error being prominent in the Houston, TX area. As a result I boosted my quarter boxes several months ago, but have thus far been unsuccessful. Thus far I have found the following:

- 3 Arizona extra cactus leaf
- 1 Alaska seven claw
- 1 Idaho semi-major cud
- Several Delaware spitting horses
- 1 spitting eagle (1996 i think)
- 2 dozen or so die cracks
- 5 Silver quarters
- 2 Proofs

All good stuff, but you should be looking for doubled ear lobes on Washington as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions