Have you met fellow CRHers?

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly I don't know if you guys are serious or joking around....

Where do you live? I want to hunt where no one asks any questions!

You sound like a child. Childish lies will not get you far in this hobby. I have no problem with lying, people are just trying to help you NOT look ridiculous in banks. If you start real conversations with tellers and don't tell awkward sounding lies you are going to end up getting what you want from banks more often than not.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't roll hunt much anymore, but when I went to my bank a few weeks ago to cash a check, I saw a guy walk out of ther bank with a box of half dollars. LOL what else would someone want $500 in Halves except to search through? - CC

Only one box? likely he was plann'n an easter egg hunt and or use'n them for tips.

OP
OP
B

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Within the last MONTH I've run into two more hunters:

1) was an old guy asking for silver dollars and half dollars and "real old stuff" (I had asked the teller just a moment before he did, and he poker faced his way through telling the guy that they didn't have any and added "that they rarely do").

2) was today, and a young guy (about 30ish) who was asking for "silver dimes, silver quarters, silver halves, silver dollars, and stuff of that nature" then he asked if she had any $2 bills, and she said she had one then he DEMANDED that she tell him what year it was, then, when she had trouble finding it, he said, "Oh just let me see it" and was a real jerk about everything. It wasn't a year he wanted, but he said that since she gave him so much trouble, he'd just go ahead and take it. I played my poker face and just went and sat down and waited until he left.

I approached the teller and asked her if she had anything weird that that guy didn't get from her and she said no, but that she really appreciated the way I asked politely and wasn't a complete jerk about everything... then she said she would gladly save anything interesting if she found and give it to me! :D

:thumbsup:

Let's hope this plays out in my favor; I love when banks love me!
:laughing7:

Last edited:

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Within the last MONTH I've run into two more hunters:

1) was an old guy asking for silver dollars and half dollars and "real old stuff" (I had asked the teller just a moment before he did, and he poker faced his way through telling the guy that they didn't have any and added "that they rarely do").

2) was today, and a young guy (about 30ish) who was asking for "silver dimes, silver quarters, silver halves, silver dollars, and stuff of that nature" then he asked if she had any $2 bills, and she said she had one then he DEMANDED that she tell him what year it was, then, when she had trouble finding it, he said, "Oh just let me see it" and was a real jerk about everything. It wasn't a year he wanted, but he said that since she gave him so much trouble, he'd just go ahead and take it. I played my poker face and just went and sat down and waited until he left.

I approached the teller and asked her if she had anything weird that that guy didn't get from her and she said no, but that she really appreciated the way I asked politely and wasn't a complete jerk about everything... then she said she would gladly save anything interesting if she found and give it to me! :D

:thumbsup:

Let's hope this plays out in my favor; I love when banks love me!

Thats how it is done. Just like when talking about how to deal with tellers, thru my own experiences, and being a member here, you get allot further just being nice. That teller saying that she will look out for you just assured your success in this hobby, while hurting the others mans at the same time. He helped you, and screwed himself at the same time.. Everyone says that being like that (jerk) will have a negative effect on other CRH'ers and it may in the grand scheme, but this is example that shows he only hurt himself and every hunter is in control of how they are treated..

I tend to stop at every bank I see, and sometimes im in and out in less then a minute, because i am not a member, and its always a smile and thank you very much, and i know ive walked in to some of thiese more then once, sometimes i get lucky, and just being friendly (and having cash, so no accounts may not matter) can get you some coins..

I will say that I have had to speak up on a couple occasions when banks would not take rolled coin- and only when it was a branch of my own bank, it has happened twice, with co-op credit unions... they said we dont take rolled coin, i said you dont take money? at a bank? they said no, i said ok and left.. not real dramatic i know, but i dont want too much trouble, and i felt both times that the teller just didnt want to be bothered..

And on topic, kinda, I thought i had met another CRH'er while dumping, i had my mini tote box full of halves and he said he had a big bucket of change like that at home, the way he said made me think that he was saying he had like a dump bin or something, but when he said how long that take you and i said just a couple days, and he looked puzzled i realized that he was just saying he had allot of change lol

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have been buying straps of $2 bills to spend (and some to track on wheresgeorge.com) for many years now. I usually get a strap a week from the same Chase bank as they keep a bundle of straps in the vault at all times. I once encountered this situation from the other way a around, a teller who was extremely rude to me when I tried to buy $2 bills! She downright lied to me one day and said that they don't keep $2 bills and would not order them, when I was just in there the week before and bought my usual strap as I had been doing for years.

Another time I got stuck with her as a teller and requested $2 bills and got the same BS response. One of my usual nice tellers overheard me asking and said "I'll get you a strap from the vault" with her usual smile. The rude teller immediately got cranky and started quizzing me about why I needed $2 bills. She then proceeded to open the FRB strap and count out each bill one at a time very slowly, in a childish way trying to mess with me. She mumbled something about how she collected them in her naturally irritating voice. I had already made up my mind to go to the manager and say something at my next visit.

Funny thing is, I never saw that rude teller again after that. They must have canned her @ss, because I never saw her at any other branch either. That was in 2011, and I have spent over 10k $2 bills since then :headbang:

N

nickeloid

It's good to see people who don't lie when a teller asks about why the pickups/dumps.

I mean this in a non-judgmental way, but some people were brought up with a cultural value that's opposed to lying, so seeing frequent mentions of lying in some CRH forums can be awkward.

This is just a fun hobby for me, not a money-making enterprise, so I'm only looking for pleasant experiences.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions