Have you met fellow CRHers?

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jamesandsons is my daycare provider's husband. We actually met on here first, and it just so happened that his wife was recommended to us.
Other than that, I haven't really ran into anyone that was obviously hunting. A few people with bigger containers of change, a few people walking out of banks with boxes of change, but nothing that screams coin roll hunter.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few. Either cool to talk to or thinking you're going to rob them. A safe fear, maybe, but kind of those worst-case-scenario people.

I have to admit, I won't share more intimate knowledge (good banks, how my finds are going, etc) but I won't be hostile either. I'm happy to talk. Unfortunately, the people I've seen recently are people who aren't "doing it right" and end up causing more harm than good (dumping in large amounts, buying/dumping same branch, etc). Not much I really want to say to them.

Tellers are usually fun to talk to. I will show them my wheat penny book and some particularly interesting stuff, and they share theirs.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran into a heavy hunter here in my area a couple weeks ago- does roughly 30k halves a week-nice guy- not on tnet or any other sites- said he was doing great until the internet and the "5words to free silver" radio ads- since then his numbers have dropped drastically as has the banks that no longer order or charge a fee for boxes now-

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never "Met" the guy..But I have seen them out in the wild. Once I was pulling up in the parking lot. And I saw a man, probally in his late 50s-60s, Open his door and I saw empty rolls fall out of his car...lol..it was like a drunk having beer cans falling out

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never "Met" the guy..But I have seen them out in the wild. Once I was pulling up in the parking lot. And I saw a man, probally in his late 50s-60s, Open his door and I saw empty rolls fall out of his car...lol..it was like a drunk having beer cans falling out

Lol now that's funny

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've ran into a few over the years, almost everybody i've run into seem strange like somebody is going to rob them like stated above. I've only met them dumping, not pucking up coins.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't recall once meeting another roll hunter in the last six years. Otoh, I've met dozens of dirtfishing types, gals included.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I met one once. There is another dude that picks up from one of my best pickup banks. He has been ordering from there for years and didn't seem to happy to see me (we were both picking up at the same time). He takes breaks, so he doesn't always order weekly. We didn't really talk much just waited for our coins in awkward silence. The way I look at it he can go pound sand. I've been ordering from that bank for the better part of a year now and neither of us have gotten cut off. I'm always really nice to the tellers there, I bring them treats, and I never dump at any of my pickup banks.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's nothing wrong with sharing a pickup bank as long as neither person abuses the ordering privilege. I've actually seen a person ask my main weekly order bank if they could order him halves. The head teller said they could not order halves and shortly after he left, she brought out my halves. LOL.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I met one hunter once. Even tho I was killing it at the time (avaraging >4 silvers/box - which was pretty good from that bank), I told him I was giving up on the hobby cuz there was no silver to be had anymore. Hopefully he gave up.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never met anyone from this site. Did meet one CRHer from the CC forum who was cautious at 1st, then loosened up when he realized i wasn't a threat.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen plenty at banks though haven't really bothered to talk to any. I met Immy from this site a number of years ago, though I haven't seen him post in awhile so not sure if he is still around.

SanMartian

Apr 15, 2013
Skunksville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I share my main pickup and dump bank with one other hunter who only hunts counter bags. He trained the pickup bank to sell partial bags off the counter, which seems pretty rare to find. However he is in there daily and gets there before I do ( he's retired). So it is rare that I am able to score a partial bag that has a significant amount in it. So I'm stuck with the boxes. Halves have been good from this bank, however. I certainly am grateful for him for blazing a trail for me and training the tellers, I just wish I could get a bag of dimes once in a while, lol.

BRChiver

Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few. Either cool to talk to or thinking you're going to rob them. A safe fear, maybe, but kind of those worst-case-scenario people.

I have to admit, I won't share more intimate knowledge (good banks, how my finds are going, etc) but I won't be hostile either. I'm happy to talk. Unfortunately, the people I've seen recently are people who aren't "doing it right" and end up causing more harm than good (dumping in large amounts, buying/dumping same branch, etc). Not much I really want to say to them.

Tellers are usually fun to talk to. I will show them my wheat penny book and some particularly interesting stuff, and they share theirs.
I've actually been seeing the same recently. I had lost my main dump bank(17 branches with counters) probably 6 months ago. Since then I've been making alliances with the head tellers at a bank who I've been with for 15+ years. I can finally do bag drops with immediate credit. When I went in Yesterday there was a guy who had 2k in halves( used original rolls, no tape). 50c pieces were falling out of his garbage bag on the floor and behind the counter with the teller. I could see the disgust in her face while I stand there with my coinlok bag neatly filled out ready to go. I spoke up and asked for a withdrawal slip and a bag. I might have overstepped my boundaries by doing the following but I was pissed that something I've worked so hard to build could be ruined. I withdrew 2k and pulled the guy to the side. I handed him the cash and told him to never do sh*t like this at this bank. I bagged all his loose wrapped halves and asked for them to be sent off for verification. If I'm lucky I will be credited by Saturday. I really don't have the 2k to float but it was worth while, all 4 tellers that were there were so thankful. I was then told that they will gladly accept As many bags as I could bring! I would never wear out my welcome but it was nice to have some tellers on the Good CRH's side for a change.

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran into an older guy one while dumping, we talked as i put my coins through a particularly slow coin counter. He said he had been doing it since he was a kid, and it wasnt unusual to find 200 keepers a box!

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
i have never ran into another hunter, but there are plenty of guys going around my town to to collect CWR's and some that swap boxes of nickels and dimes out, as far as I know, I am the only one who orders halves at my pick up branches, I think there are still a lot of people out there that just don't realize that you can order boxes of half dollars, luck for me :laughing7:. HH, Maverick.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ran into one (several times) at a dump bank told them about the site. we talked for a while, it was a good experience.Good folks.

Nydus Touch

Jan 9, 2013
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't ran into any in the wild, but I did notice that someone got a box from one of my usual banks...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread