Let;s Play A Game...Silver or Not Silver?

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot (187).png

If you want to know the answer, this is a video of the hunt where I found it. Skip to 2:20 for the answer :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure. People often post videos of their hunts on hosting sites like Youtube. We do not have the capacity to host the video's ourselves. This is just my opinion but if you do not want to watch someones video then just ignore it and move to something that is of interest to you. i never feel the need to have to make a comment. Some people want the clicks on their videos. Their is hardly any monetization on youtube anymore unless you have hundreds of thousand followers.
My opinion just skip it and do not watch if you do not want to.
Look in Todays Finds. Many people post their hunts. I have seen people post their coin roll finds and have seen videos in here of people searching the rolls?
Just skip it! :)

By that same principle, then I want to advertise my business on here as well. Anyone that doesn't want to participate can just ignore the ad.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What the Mods are ignoring is that the creator of the Youtube video chooses whether to include paying ads or not. If the video is purely for sharing the hobby, there would be no ads.

TreasureNet is crystal clear in the rules that members cannot use the forums to advertise. Maybe that rule is just a suggestion. Maybe all of the rules are just suggestions. Who knows?

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To everyone attacking Ryan and/or people who post videos. This issue has been put to bed already. If you don't like it then don't click on the video. Your complaining about people making money on videos and they probably are making less then the cost of a soda per video they make.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To everyone attacking Ryan and/or people who post videos. This issue has been put to bed already. If you don't like it then don't click on the video. Your complaining about people making money on videos and they probably are making less then the cost of a soda per video they make.

If you don't like posts discussing the posting of revenue generating videos, then don't read those posts.

You can jump up and down and say it doesn't matter if the videos have ads because those ads don't mean anything to anyone. The explicable truth is that if those ads do not mean anything to OP, then OP would not go to the trouble of embedding them. Actions speak louder than words. The actions are that OP goes to great lengths to sprinkle click-bait all over the CRH forum and OP embeds ads in the videos. Your words cannot speak louder than those actions.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FWIW...
The nickel is in good shape for being 75 yrs old... just sayin.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Your complaining about people making money on videos and they probably are making less then the cost of a soda per video they make.

I would hazard a guess that it's CONSIDERABLY less than that. I still don't like the videos, but the Ignore button takes care of that.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright here's some input from OP.

This post went too far. I should not have disguised my attempt to get people to watch my video as a game. It was a stupid idea.
And yes, I would like people to watch my videos. If you made videos, you would want people to watch them too. Is that my sole reason for being on this site? Of course not! I make myself active in the comments just as much as the next guy.

As far as the "If you don't like it, don't look at it" argument goes, I believe that this is an excellent counterargument.
If you don't like posts discussing the posting of revenue generating videos, then don't read those posts.

It's difficult to choose whether you want to ignore something until it's too late.
Now, there is a difference between a properly constructed TN video post and a word post. With a video, you should be able to see the thumbnail, then choose whether or not you would like to watch it. Looking at a thumbnail should do you no harm, and you still have your freedom of choice.

The flaw in this particular post is that I cut into that freedom. I basically said "If you want to enjoy this post to its full extent, you HAVE to watch my video." This was a big mistake.

Here is how I believe a proper TN video post should be structured. Feel free to chime in if you disagree with any of the following features.

1) 1-2 line description of hunt and a preview of what can be expected in the video
2) 2-3 still shots from the hunt
3) The video itself, displayed as a playable link

I think this is fair for all users. If you want to watch the video but cannot due to time/data constraints, you have the description and the pictures. If you do not want to watch the video at all, you also have the description and pictures. If you would like to watch the video, everything is there for you. AND, if you want to argue about how videos are ruining the hobby/call me an idiot for getting something wrong, the comment section is right down there where it always is :thumbsup:

rcs

Mar 15, 2017
Western Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This post went too far. I should not have disguised my attempt to get people to watch my video as a game. It was a stupid idea.
And yes, I would like people to watch my videos. If you made videos, you would want people to watch them too. Is that my sole reason for being on this site? Of course not! I make myself active in the comments just as much as the next guy.

As far as the "If you don't like it, don't look at it" argument goes, I believe that this is an excellent counterargument.

It's difficult to choose whether you want to ignore something until it's too late.
Now, there is a difference between a properly constructed TN video post and a word post. With a video, you should be able to see the thumbnail, then choose whether or not you would like to watch it. Looking at a thumbnail should do you no harm, and you still have your freedom of choice.

The flaw in this particular post is that I cut into that freedom. I basically said "If you want to enjoy this post to its full extent, you HAVE to watch my video." This was a big mistake.

Here is how I believe a proper TN video post should be structured. Feel free to chime in if you disagree with any of the following features.

1) 1-2 line description of hunt and a preview of what can be expected in the video

I think this is fair for all users. If you want to watch the video but cannot due to time/data constraints, you have the description and the pictures. If you do not want to watch the video at all, you also have the description and pictures. If you would like to watch the video, everything is there for you. AND, if you want to argue about how videos are ruining the hobby/call me an idiot for getting something wrong, the comment section is right down there where it always is :thumbsup:

I'd just like to say that while I don't particularly enjoy watching videos, I think that you are handling this in a very thoughtful manner. Kudos to you.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I think that's a great reflection and solution.

Well done.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rryanq
I don't have an opinion either way, prolly cuz I don't care....
But when I see a guy step up and own his lunch.... it makes for a respectable head nod, sayin your ok in my book.
Keep on keepin on.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have to say that I was not expecting to see a reply like this either.

My viewing experience in situations like this has always been bad, to outrageously horrendous responses from an OP.

You made it clear that you had made a bad call in the way that you posted your original post, came up with a solid solution, and throughout the post didn't stoop to name calling and other things typically associated to bad press.

Full respect from me on that regardless of how I feel about Youtube videos! :thumb_up:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Group hug!?..'sniffle'...but seriously, I had the popcorn salted and buttered and ready to enjoy the unsuing slug-fest, and I've got to say I honestly did not see the thread going that way...way to play nice fellas...makes me all warm n fuzzy inside! Now let's all go dig some silllllverrrrrrr!. Ddf

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011

Believe it or not, I'm going to agree with you; I think that's a great idea.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions