1792 HALF DISME......STRANGE DAY

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with cudamark on the benefits of having such a rare and valuable coin conserved, certified and graded!! Not only will the coin benefit from a professional cleaning/restoration, the owner will also benefit from the boost in value because of these services which will make the coin much more marketable and more desired by collectors of such Type coins. Also, by having the coin conserved, certified and graded by one of the top two third party grading services, the word will get out about this particular coin as the Graders, Conservators and others that work for the grading service, tend to spread the word per see. It could also be featured in Coin World if the owner decides to allow them to do so.

Try selling such a rare and valuable coin without it at least being certified and graded and see what you might get for it, if you can even sell it at all.

Frank

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with cudamark on the benefits of having such a rare and valuable coin conserved, certified and graded!! Not only will the coin benefit from a professional cleaning/restoration, the owner will also benefit from the boost in value because of these services which will make the coin much more marketable and more desired by collectors of such Type coins. Also, by having the coin conserved, certified and graded by one of the top two third party grading services, the word will get out about this particular coin as the Graders, Conservators and others that work for the grading service, tend to spread the word per see. It could also be featured in Coin World if the owner decides to allow them to do so.

Try selling such a rare and valuable coin without it at least being certified and graded and see what you might get for it, if you can even sell it at all.

Frank

I could not disagree with you more. But that's ok. Whatever the owner decides to do, its an amazing story and I wish him the best.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can disagree all you want, but graded is better. The 16D Mercury I found, no one would touch it until it was slabbed. Too many fakes and doctored coins. Once graded everyone wanted it!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
You can disagree all you want, but graded is better. The 16D Mercury I found, no one would touch it until it was slabbed. Too many fakes and doctored coins. Once graded everyone wanted it!

The caliber of collector who would be buying subject coin does not give a crap about a piece of plastic. Very hard to compare a 1916-D to the OP's coin.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The caliber of collector who would be buying subject coin does not give a crap about a piece of plastic.

Yeah, I have seen many of those folks you are talking about. They meet the Seller of such a coin or other rare and valuable coin at a Coin Show, then they drag the Seller and his' or her' coin across the Coin Show to a PCGS' tables or Larry Brigg's tables and ask if the coin is genuine and if so, then they ask which Variety it is. In essence, they are getting a free Certification because some of them are too cheap to pay for the service.

Very hard to compare a 1916-D to the OP's coin.

I don't agree because the 1916-D Mercury Dime has been one of the most sought after coins for much of the 20th Century and now the 21st Century. Sure, it may not be as valuable as a 1792 Half Disme but to a collector that collects 1916-D Mercury Dimes or needs one for his' or her' collection, it is just as important to them. The 1916-D Mercury Dime has been and still is one of the most counterfeited or altered coins in the history of U.S. coinage!

Frank

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't agree because the 1916-D Mercury Dime has been one of the most sought after coins for much of the 20th Century and now the 21st Century. Sure, it may not be as valuable as a 1792 Half Disme but to a collector that collects 1916-D Mercury Dimes or needs one for his' or her' collection, it is just as important to them. The 1916-D Mercury Dime has been and still is one of the most counterfeited or altered coins in the history of U.S. coinage!

Frank

I would say that the 1916-D is probably one of the best specimens to be slabbed due to rampant counterfeiting and its popularity among collectors of all levels.

However, this still has no bearing on your argument. A 1792 half disme is not subject to rampant counterfeiting and many collectors do not have knowledge of the 1792 half disme. Most collectors would never be able to even obtain one. It is a special level of collector that will actually seek one of these out for purchase. I assure you, that collector DOES NOT need a piece of plastic to influence their purchase.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say that the 1916-D is probably one of the best specimens to be slabbed due to rampant counterfeiting and its popularity among collectors of all levels.

However, this still has no bearing on your argument. A 1792 half disme is not subject to rampant counterfeiting and many collectors do not have knowledge of the 1792 half disme. Most collectors would never be able to even obtain one. It is a special level of collector that will actually seek one of these out for purchase. I assure you, that collector DOES NOT need a piece of plastic to influence their purchase.

What you don't understand is that when selling such a coin, you do not want to just market it to the likes of the EAC crowd, you want to market it to anyone that has the money and wants to own such a rare Type Coin. Sure, some of the EAC crowd may not need the coin in plastic to purchase it but some do and if it is not in plastic, then they walk the coin across the Coin Show to PCGS' or Larry Briggs' tables. You want the coin to appeal to all collectors that have the funds to make such a purchase and that might just be an Amateur Collector that has decided that they want to concentrate on collecting Type Coins right now. I have seen folks in the mid 1980's that had money, that wanted to start a collection of Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars and paid between $1,300 to $1,700 for every roll of mostly common date Morgan Silver Dollars and $1,100 to $1,400 for every roll of mostly common date Peace Silver Dollars that came up for bidding at Estate Auctions. This was during a time when Silver was under $7.00 an ounce. Would have an EAC member or other long time Collector of Type Coins paid those prices for a roll of Morgan or Peace Silver Dollars, no! Would an Amateur Collector with deep pockets that wanted to collect Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars pay those prices, yes because one did! Now, would an Amateur Collector with deep pockets pay more for a 1792 Half Disme than most if not all EAC members and long time Type Coin Collectors, most likely they would and especially so if the coin has been certified and graded. Heck, they have money but not all folks with money are stupid!

Frank

Last edited:

rreahard

Mar 29, 2016
Hammond, LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy ****!! Un-freakin-believable!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
What you don't understand is that when selling such a coin, you do not want to just market it to the likes of the EAC crowd, you want to market it to anyone that has the money and wants to own such a rare Type Coin. Sure, some of the EAC crowd may not need the coin in plastic to purchase it but some do and if it is not in plastic, then they walk the coin across the Coin Show to PCGS' or Larry Briggs' tables. You want the coin to appeal to all collectors that have the funds to make such a purchase and that might just be an Amateur Collector that has decided that they want to concentrate on collecting Type Coins right now. I have seen folks in the mid 1980's that had money, that wanted to start a collection of Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars and paid between $1,300 to $1,700 for every roll of mostly common date Morgan Silver Dollars and $1,100 to $1,400 for every roll of mostly common date Peace Silver Dollars that came up for bidding at Estate Auctions. This was during a time when Silver was under $7.00 an ounce. Would have an EAC member or other long time Collector of Type Coins paid those prices for a roll of Morgan or Peace Silver Dollars, no! Would an Amateur Collector with deep pockets that wanted to collect Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars pay those prices, yes because one did! Now, would an Amateur Collector with deep pockets pay more for a 1792 Half Disme than most if not all EAC members and long time Type Coin Collectors, most likely they would and especially so if the coin has been certified and graded. Heck, they have money but not all folks with money are stupid!

Frank

Frank, you make some very good points.

However, there is a big IF here. IF the owner wanted to sell the coin for the most profit to the widest possible audience, then yes, I DO AGREE that in most cases it is better to have a coin slabbed. However you yourself stated "if he can even sell it at all" (he wouldnt be able to sell THIS COIN unless it was slabbed) in post 61. Regardless, that argument drifts from the original topic. My original point back in post #58 was that it was not worth potentially losing this coin in the mail. This was a DIRECT response to several folks suggesting that the coin had to be slabbed. These folks were offering this advice but were BLINDLY doing so. Insinuating that the coin would be worthless (or something equally absurd) unless it was in a slab (refer to Frank's "if he can even sell it at al" comment).

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Frank, you make some very good points.

However, there is a big IF here. IF the owner wanted to sell the coin for the most profit to the widest possible audience, then yes, I DO AGREE that in most cases it is better to have a coin slabbed. However you yourself stated "if he can even sell it at all" (he wouldnt be able to sell THIS COIN unless it was slabbed) in post 61. Regardless, that argument drifts from the original topic. My original point back in post #58 was that it was not worth potentially losing this coin in the mail. This was a DIRECT response to several folks suggesting that the coin had to be slabbed. These folks were offering this advice but were BLINDLY doing so. Insinuating that the coin would be worthless (or something equally absurd) unless it was in a slab (refer to Frank's "if he can even sell it at all" comment).

You misread or misinterpreted and misrepresented my statement which was directly to you. I was not referring to the coin belonging to the friends of the O.P.! I was referring to rare Type Coins in general and was making a point as to how hard they would be to sell if not certified and graded.

Frank

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why there is such an argument about this Jersey Ben. There is no argument. This coin wouldn't be sold at the local coin shop or on eBay. It would be sold by a major auction house. It wouldn't even be accepted unless proven authentic and given a grade. I'm sorry, but your argument is wrong.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why there is such an argument about this Jersey Ben. There is no argument. This coin wouldn't be sold at the local coin shop or on eBay. It would be sold by a major auction house. It wouldn't even be accepted unless proven authentic and given a grade. I'm sorry, but your argument is wrong.

The coin could easily be sold on ebay, and it's not even that valuable when comparing to some listed on there.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Isn't it ironic that none of the genuine, certified and graded 1792 Half Disme coins on eBay have not sold and most were listed for 30 days. Also, if you look, there is no record of genuine raw or certified and graded 1792 Half Disme coins having been sold during the period of record on eBay. Luckily for the Seller of the 1786 Nova Caesarea New Jersey " No Coulter" Copper Cent, who I might add is probably doing the Happy Dance all the way to the Bank because some knowledgeable folks spotted an extremely rare coin and were willing to pay a big price for it! No matter what it sold for raw or even if it was certified and graded, it is in a completely different Ballpark or Class coinage-wise compared to the subject coin in this Thread.

Frank

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
No matter what it sold for raw or even if it was certified and graded, it is in a completely different Ballpark coinage-wise compared to the subject coin in this Thread.

Frank

Frank, If you don't think that NJ copper and the 1792 half disme are in the same ballpark, then I do not think you and I are ever going to agree on anything related to numismatics.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The 1792 Half Disme falls into the category of the first true coinage of and for the United States of America whether it was Official or Non-Official as the records are not very clear while the 1786 Nova Caesarea was authorized by the New Jersey Legislature and minted as a State coinage, so IMHO, they are not in the same Ballpark or Class, the term I should have used.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread