I am Arranging a GROUP HUNT for us COLORADO TNers

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: I am Arranging a GROUP HUNT for us COLORADO TNer's

I'm not crazy about 5 lbs of mud on my boots. Not to mention having to clean the mess we'll make of the RV. Weather.com shows 61 degrees and rain Saturday, 72 and sunny Sunday. Originally it was 70 Saturday and 80 on Sunday which probably would have been okay. It may be better to reschedule.

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, its turned into a beautiful day. If it stayed like this for a day or so things would dry up fine. But looks like clouds are moving in again and the forecast is changing to a greater chance of rain on Saturday with more chance of Tstorms Friday. There would be no tents on Saturday unless you like setting up in the rain and making a total mess of the inside of the tent as well as anyone who brings an RV. Tent campers could stay in the house though of course. But any hunting on Saturday is going to be out the window unless you like mud. And around here....there is going to be a bunch of that when you have 4 days of storms. The ground is already saturated and a day of sunshine would dry it up, but doesnt look like we are going to get a full day of sun before more storms come in.

Folks...I hate to say it, but I think we need to reschedule. If we have 4 or 5 straight days of rain, its going to be a mess up here. Not a place for RV's or tents then, even on the grass because its going to be all mud underneath. And my wife discovered that the last time we had rain like this. She tried to drive across the area where everyone would be camping. She sunk to her hubcaps.....the top side.... If it wasnt for 4 wheel drive and some pure luck...she would have been stuck for good....or till I pulled her out. And that was a couple days after the rain had stopped.

We would need a full day like Sunday is supposed to be, with full sun, for things to dry out enough to do much of anything.

You guys want to shoot for NEXT weekend? And keep your fingers crossed???? And by then my back will be doing a bunch better too.

scooter

Nov 3, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

old_goldchaser said:
Well, its turned into a beautiful day. If it stayed like this for a day or so things would dry up fine. But looks like clouds are moving in again and the forecast is changing to a greater chance of rain on Saturday with more chance of Tstorms Friday. There would be no tents on Saturday unless you like setting up in the rain and making a total mess of the inside of the tent as well as anyone who brings an RV. Tent campers could stay in the house though of course. But any hunting on Saturday is going to be out the window unless you like mud. And around here....there is going to be a bunch of that when you have 4 days of storms. The ground is already saturated and a day of sunshine would dry it up, but doesnt look like we are going to get a full day of sun before more storms come in.

Folks...I hate to say it, but I think we need to reschedule. If we have 4 or 5 straight days of rain, its going to be a mess up here. Not a place for RV's or tents then, even on the grass because its going to be all mud underneath. And my wife discovered that the last time we had rain like this. She tried to drive across the area where everyone would be camping. She sunk to her hubcaps.....the top side.... If it wasnt for 4 wheel drive and some pure luck...she would have been stuck for good....or till I pulled her out. And that was a couple days after the rain had stopped.

We would need a full day like Sunday is supposed to be, with full sun, for things to dry out enough to do much of anything.

You guys want to shoot for NEXT weekend? And keep your fingers crossed???? And by then my back will be doing a bunch better too.

Sounds good Dennis,

I am sure everyone will understand. I will be out for next weekend as I am scheduled to work :(
I do hope everyone post some pics of your great finds :icon_thumright: I hope everyone has a great time...

Happy digging,
Scooter

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well Scooter, this is supposed to be for everyone so what weekend would work for you? I am pretty open on weekends so I am good for whatever weekend everyone decides on. I was just mentioned next weekend as an option.

So lets work on this then. What weekend would work you Scooter, and then everyone else can chime in if that works with them. I want you to be able to join in. So guys. This weekend is a bust since the weatherman isnt cooperating...so lets let scooter name a weekend and we all go from there? Sound ok?

Dennis

scooter

Nov 3, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

old_goldchaser said:
Well Scooter, this is supposed to be for everyone so what weekend would work for you? I am pretty open on weekends so I am good for whatever weekend everyone decides on. I was just mentioned next weekend as an option.

So lets work on this then. What weekend would work you Scooter, and then everyone else can chime in if that works with them. I want you to be able to join in. So guys. This weekend is a bust since the weatherman isnt cooperating...so lets let scooter name a weekend and we all go from there? Sound ok?

Dennis

Very nice gesture on your part Dennis..

I am in for what works best for everyone else as well, even if I cannot attend it is no problem at all. I do work every 3rd weekend which means after next weekend I am off for the next 2. Hope everyone else can chime in and pick some dates that will work for everyone and that the weather will cooperate :icon_sunny:

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I am out of town the next two weekends and will be back for the weekend of June 5th. Maybe the snow will stop by then. :tongue3:

If you guys get together before then I'll just have to try to bribe Dennis into letting me come out that way on my own. Would a case of Fat Tire do it?

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Anytime you want to come out jimbog. All you need to do is let me know ahead of time. Same for you Scooter and Frank. Looking like this weekend is out and maybe next weekend. But the 5th sounds good. And maybe as a bonus...what would you guys think of hunting a drive-in movie theater? Not an easy hunt, the older coins are buried under 5 to 8 inches of crushed rock and sand. But they are there. The place has been there since 1946. I can get a limited number of guys in there for a morning/early afternoon hunt.

And will also see if I can get us on indian battlefield. So we could do even more. To make up for this weekend. How does that sound guys? If we make it the weekend of the 5th. Same deal applies for the camping and such. I cant guarantee the battlefield but will try, but if I cant then I will get another place just as good setup. Plus will still have the homesteads and school.

So lets reschedule for the weekend of the 5th. Lets hope mother nature cooperates this time, and I make sure I wont be clumsy as well. :headbang:

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

@#&$@&^$)*&%(*^%(*^_(*^_ mother nature!!!!!!!!! I knew we were screwed when it snowed! The 5th works for me and wish I could afford to come up more before and after that. I already put all my NEW camping stuff up even the food seeing it won't spoil before then lol Will put the gas money aside and start building up pocket cash for the next attempt. Sounds like the drive in will be a good workout. I'll set the 5th on calendar unless ya all change your mind on that date. Ya know I am going to be cussin mother nature all weekend now lol

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yea, the weather has definately thrown a wrench in this weekend. But thats ok. There will be the 5th. And let me tell you, that drive in will be a blast. He wont let me bring in more that 4 or 5 guys to hunt there at a time. I can go in any time, but for more than that its a one time deal. He is pretty particular.

Now the battleground, IF I CAN ARRANGE IT, will be a good hunt. Its been hunted alot over the years. Been hit hard. But it hasnt been hit in about 10 years now, so with the newer detectors we have a chance of finding something that was missed. Its going to be strictly all metal mode there and dig everything. There shouldnt be much scrap other than maybe modern bullets and brass but its a national monument on the other side of the fence. So not much traffic other than cattle on the private side. And the actual battlefield is all private property.
Will likely be limited on the number of people there too. And we will have to be on best of behavior both places.
So keep your fingers crossed guys that we can get on the battleground.

Dennis

conlaodh

Dec 10, 2007
Denver
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505, Explorer II

OK then lets shoot for the 5th.
Rest up some Dennis and give that back some time to heal, maybe you could try a mud bath and see if your dirt has any curative powers in it.
On the serious side I know all about back pain and sciatica and have learned the hard way not to take pain killers and keep on working through it as in the long run it will only make thinks worse.
Also any one of the old homesteads will do me just fine for my detecting.

Looking forward to the 5th

Con

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

conlaodh said:
OK then lets shoot for the 5th.
Rest up some Dennis and give that back some time to heal, maybe you could try a mud bath and see if your dirt has any curative powers in it.
On the serious side I know all about back pain and sciatica and have learned the hard way not to take pain killers and keep on working through it as in the long run it will only make thinks worse.
Also any one of the old homesteads will do me just fine for my detecting.

Looking forward to the 5th

Con

Sounds good. Yea, I have had problems with my back for alot of years. Had nerve damage to my lower back. So I have had to deal with it for many years anyway. Just when I take a fall like I did things get aggrivated. I work through it. Sometimes faster than others.

Yea, the homesteads or the the old schoolhouse are good sites for sure. Some folks like to do the coinshooting, others like you, for relics and whatever.

You will dig alot of trash at the homesteads. FOR SURE. :icon_scratch: Got one site that I have detected just one time and only for an hour or so because it started snowing and the wind kicked up bad. That was my signal to leave. :icon_shaking2: Its just a foundation left, but could be a good site. Found an old pipe and then some trash the short time I was there.

There are a couple other sites I want to get to also. But there is no way I will be able to detect all these sites by myself and cover them well. Just not possible in the few months that I have before we move.

So we got the 5th to look forward to, and if any of you have an IN with mother nature...how about putting in a good word for us. :icon_thumright:

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

now watch it will be in the 100's the weekend of the 5th. As I have been saying for the past 30 years when something doesn't work out "Oh well thus goes life!" But still going to cuss lol

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, it looks like we did the best thing canceling for this weekend. All day yesterday it hardly broke the 40's here and it either misting or a light rain. Then around 11 or 12 it started storming and rain. Its 2:30 in the am and its pouring rain outside. And I do mean pouring. Its rained at least an inch in the last couple of hours.

Looks like my pond will be full by morning again....and then some. Be lake time. And everything else is going to be mud.

Hey Jimbog....that 5pounds of mud you were talking about on your boots. Well, I think it would have been 10 pounds. Minimum. It is going to be a mess out there. And that RV would have been stuck until it dried out around here. You would never have gotten it out on these roads. Well, you would have gotten it out on the road but would have dropped to your hubcaps. Would have had to have gotten my neighbors tractor to get you out. His tractor is 4 wheel drive and the size of your RV. Heck..the thing is bigger than my camper trailer. Makes that old 4020 tractor on my website look like midget. He came and got us one time a few years back in it when we got stuck on the road in a sudden blizzard. Was just cloudy and we went into town to get some groceries. Headed back 2 hours later and the snow started coming down. 1/2 hour of that and we had a bunch of snow on the ground with 40 mph winds. The snow drifted bad and my 4wd pickup just road up on top of the snow in the middle of the road. I wasnt going anywhere. Had the wife and both boys. Called Tom and he came and got us in that big ol tractor. Didnt know what else to do. There wasnt anywhere he couldnt go in that thing.
Almost anywhere.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

I was curious as to how hard ya got hit out there Dennis. How much cussin did you do? lol I actually only got some rain Friday late afternoon and been cloudy yesterday and sunny today.

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frank1960 said:
I was curious as to how hard ya got hit out there Dennis. How much cussin did you do? lol I actually only got some rain Friday late afternoon and been cloudy yesterday and sunny today.

You were lucky. Its been raining up till around 8 or so this morning, but its been misting off and on and its cloudy and its wet as the dickens. Roads are mud pits as usual. My hydrometer went out so dont know how much rain we actually got, but I am guessing we got around 2 inches total.

Yea Frank. I am, have been cussing. I had a better weekend planned. >:( :dontknow:

But thats ok. The 5th is ahead. And the roll of the dice gotta come up 7's or 11's sometime for us.
And keep hoping for the battleground search. The guy that did the major searches on that battleground found thousands of artifacts there. But I know there has to be more. You can never find it all. And I am hoping that I can get us clearence to do a hunt there. I have been wanting to get in there to detect for years.

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here is a view outside my backdoor this afternoon. Lots of puddles.

Attachments

• DSCF3006.JPG
    DSCF3006.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 353

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

Yep and I bet my tent would have been right where that puddle is lol

Don't think the ACE will get deep enough for the battlefield so will leave that for those of you who can go deep

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frank1960 said:

Don't think the ACE will get deep enough for the battlefield so will leave that for those of you who can go deep

Hunting in all metal, no discrim, it should. And if it dont, then you are welcome to borrow one of mine. The omega, if I still have it then, will go plenty deep, and I also have a PI which will go deep and I still will have the Etrac and I hope an Excal II. So if I am able to get us into the battleground, dont worry. You arent going to be left out.

And Frank, your tent would have been pitched where the grass is on the opposite side of the house. So you would have been sinking out of sight in the mud. :laughing7:

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

old_goldchaser said:
Frank1960 said:

Hunting in all metal, no discrim, it should. And if it dont, then you are welcome to borrow one of mine. The omega, if I still have it then, will go plenty deep, and I also have a PI which will go deep and I still will have the Etrac and I hope an Excal II. So if I am able to get us into the battleground, dont worry. You arent going to be left out.

Oh sure confuse me with a different detector haven't mastered the ACE yet lol

Wild Boulder Bill

Jan 5, 2005
Now residing Waynesboro Georgia
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer, whites gtx, tesoro lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I have a wife that is ill and flying back and forth to San fransisco, but would like to hook up with you guys some time when I can. I love to hunt with colorado hunters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread