I am Arranging a GROUP HUNT for us COLORADO TNers

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: I am Arranging a GROUP HUNT for us COLORADO TNer's

old_goldchaser said:
Frank1960 said:
Ok it got very quiet in here!

Been a long week, I think. Everyone is concentrating on getting through to the weekend.
Indeed. I've just been lurking when I get time.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm also looking forward to my new MD "collection". I've been doing some trading. I am selling my old IDX, using that money and bought a used MXT (it shares coils with the V3), am getting my upgraded V3i back Friday, and have a used Tesoro DeLeon coming next week. Whew. I don't know if I'll keep the Tesoro, but I thought I need to use one to see if it feels right over time. So while everyone else is digging I'll be sitting there going "gee I wonder what this does?" :laughing7:. That should actually be a lot of fun to run these against each other a little. I thought those interested could have a chance to try out another model MD they have not been exposed to before and swap for an hour.

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jimbog said:
I'm also looking forward to my new MD "collection". I've been doing some trading. I am selling my old IDX, using that money and bought a used MXT (it shares coils with the V3), am getting my upgraded V3i back Friday, and have a used Tesoro DeLeon coming next week. Whew. I don't know if I'll keep the Tesoro, but I thought I need to use one to see if it feels right over time. So while everyone else is digging I'll be sitting there going "gee I wonder what this does?" :laughing7:. That should actually be a lot of fun to run these against each other a little. I thought those interested could have a chance to try out another model MD they have not been exposed to before and swap for an hour.

I wouldnt mind trying out your V3i while you are out here, Jim. I just got my E-Trac today. Havent done much more than played with the menu's and reading in the manual and the ETrac Manual by Andy Sabisch. Hopefully will get a chance to try it out tomorrow some, but we have a change in weather coming tonight which I have heard could include some snow. So if weather is bad..not going to get outside much tomorrow.

So you arent going to be the only one sitting there wondering "what does this do" No way am I going to learn this thing in a week. And I am not any better with the Omega yet. So we will be sitting together likely watching everyone else digging while we try to figure out our new detectors.

I used to have an MXT. Good machine. I had a DFX till recently. I got rid of my MXT about 4 or 5 years ago. Regretted it ever since. It is a great detector for our part of the country. Have thought of getting another one but just wanted to try others.

Looking forward to next weekend. Will be getting all the information out to everyone this weekend. Google maps and my address and phone number to everyone that has said they are coming. Along with any other information that comes to mind.

Dennis

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Heck yeah. I've been wanting to see the eTrac too. I took the MXT to a school the other day. Really liked the way it responds. By the time I got there I forgot how to GB though. :tongue3: The main reason I have the MXT and V3i is to share coils between them. I have a 300, DD2, 950, 6x8 and 4x6. All V rated. That 300 is pretty big and might come in handy on the farm. To me it's like having a nice 18v drill but you still need drill bits in different sizes and for different materials. I'm looking forward to the new features on the V3i, in particular the polar plot. Once I found the programs brewed up at thebeepgoeson.com that V3 really started to shine. There is a huge opportunity for someone to developed a V3 book or DVD. Time to go to work.

Don't forget mothers day this Sunday. You've been warned. :icon_sunny:

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

Would the sniper coil be a good choice to hunt with here or my stock? One more week folks I can't wait and yet I don't have anything bought yet lol Still need to buy tent, stove, at least one pot to cook in. Spent all week either working for someone or hauling metal to get enough money for gas, tent, and stove. Guess I better add food in there huh? lol

All you tent campers do you have a favorite brand that you use that stands up good in foul weather?

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You dont got to spend money if you dont want, Frank. We have the guest house So have plenty of room for someone to hang their hat for a night. The guesthouse has 4 bedrooms. But if you want to rough it on your own, fine too. And I think we can come up with enough pots n pans even if you are the type that carbonizes everything ya cook. Like my mother-in-law.

Give all you folks a preview...well, kinda ... Here is our website below such as it is. Made it a couple years back but never did much with it. Didnt like the design...used a software program. Got another one I am working on right now and may have it up before next weekend.

Anyway, just a few photos on this one here, but gives you a bit of a view of the place.

http://www.cyberpip.com

scooter

Nov 3, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You guys won't be alone swinging a new detector as I just got a DFX a little over a week ago and learning it daily as it is not to bad a transition from my XLT. Anyone that has had a DFX and could give me some pointers would be greatly appreciated :icon_thumright:

Like everyone else I am soooo looking forward to this next weekend.

Frank, I do not drink as well, so maybe we can share a pitcher of kool-aid ;D

Dennis looks like a very nice place you have there...

Scooter,

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Scooter, I used to have a DFX. Nice detector. Alot of adjustments that you can make with it. Recommend you stay with the factory settings before you make too many changes. The coin/relic program works good around here without having to tweak it much. If you got a small coil, I recommend you use it on the homestead sites.

Not sure if I have mentioned it yet but I am also, for those that have problems around the buildings and such, going to show you guys the schoolhouse site. You would have to know someone from the area to know about it. Its now just a field. But for those that want, I will clear it with the owner so you guys can hunt there as well. Its a nice open site, it was harvested last year so its fallow now, just stubble. Its about a 2 acre site. Will also show everyone the church site. Its private too, but will get permission for everyone to hunt there as well. So no one will be crowding anyone else, for sure. All these sites are within a mile of my place, well 1.4 miles at most. And there are many more.

Will get emails out to everyone this weekend. So make sure you PM me or email me so I will have you on the list and counted.

Going to be a great weekend next week.

scooter

Nov 3, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

old_goldchaser said:
Hey Scooter, I used to have a DFX. Nice detector. Alot of adjustments that you can make with it. Recommend you stay with the factory settings before you make too many changes. The coin/relic program works good around here without having to tweak it much. If you got a small coil, I recommend you use it on the homestead sites.

Thanks for the info...

When you say "small coil" are you talking a 4x6, 6x6 or would a 6x10 work? as my buddy has one that I hope I could borrow. I also have a 950 coil which would be better than the stock 300 if trashy. Are there any areas that I could use the 300 coil? I have been playing around with the factory Deep Silver program which has been a great help to learn the adjustments.

Got any more pics of the "hunt areas"?

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

Well Dennis I am hopeing this ins't going to be a one time deal and I will get invited to other overnight detecting hunts in the future. I found a good cot today at yard sale for $5.00 and got a free never used air mattress from a friend to keep and he is loaning me a sleeping bag so I can wait on getting one of those. A friend of mine another detectorist suggested making a camping list of what you take and check things off as you pack them so you don't forget anything.

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scooter said:
old_goldchaser said:

Thanks for the info...

When you say "small coil" are you talking a 4x6, 6x6 or would a 6x10 work? as my buddy has one that I hope I could borrow. I also have a 950 coil which would be better than the stock 300 if trashy. Are there any areas that I could use the 300 coil? I have been playing around with the factory Deep Silver program which has been a great help to learn the adjustments.

Got any more pics of the "hunt areas"?

Scooter, by small I meant something like a 4x6 or other type of sniper coil. The homesteads would be considered high trash areas, so a small coil works best, But a 6x10 I think you mentioned would work in a DD because it has the smaller footprint through the center on the long axis which helps to get inbetween the trash at least on that axis though it has a 10 inch length on the other.

Also, I did mention in my last post that I would be getting permission for all to hunt on the old school site. Its a clear site as I said. So is the church site. Open pasture on one, and just cropland on the school site. And there doesnt seem to be much trash on those.

On the school site and church site I dont have photos right now, but I do have more of the homesteads.

Frank, that buddy I was telling you about used those kinds of lists. He then managed to forget the lists.

Third time to try to post this. Keeps failing

Attachments

• backyardex.jpg
    backyardex.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 502
  • homestead2ex.jpg
    homestead2ex.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 508
  • homestead6ex.jpg
    homestead6ex.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 501
  • homestead8ex.jpg
    homestead8ex.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 504
  • homestead11ex.jpg
    homestead11ex.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 494
  • homestead15ex.jpg
    homestead15ex.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 504
  • homestead26ex.jpg
    homestead26ex.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 494
OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Frank, nope dont plan on it being a one time deal. Going to talk to my cousin, he has a big ranch up in the mountains. At one time he was running it as a dude ranch, not sure just what he is doing with it right now. Anyway, they have 3 or 4 cabins up there. The ranch has been there since the late 1800's and there are still old 1920's vehicles that broke down, sitting there up in the hills around the ranch. Anyway, going to see if I can arrange a hunt up there around the ranch. Not sure just what would be found. But there was also a couple of old gold mines on the place, so nugget hunting would be possible. Never know. And we could likely camp all use the cabins. They are all fully furnished, dishes, pots and pans. You just have to bring your own linens and towels. They all have wood cook stoves. I have stayed in the cabins a few times over the years. Its a beautiful spot too.

But thats just a possiblity for now. But there are other places to hunt...lots of them if folks want to go do some overnite hunts. I was born and raised here, my family has been here since the mid 1800's. Mostly..anyway. I was an air force brat.

scooter

Nov 3, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scooter, by small I meant something like a 4x6 or other type of sniper coil. The homesteads would be considered high trash areas, so a small coil works best, But a 6x10 I think you mentioned would work in a DD because it has the smaller footprint through the center on the long axis which helps to get inbetween the trash at least on that axis though it has a 10 inch length on the other.

Also, I did mention in my last post that I would be getting permission for all to hunt on the old school site. Its a clear site as I said. So is the church site. Open pasture on one, and just cropland on the school site. And there doesnt seem to be much trash on those.

On the school site and church site I dont have photos right now, but I do have more of the homesteads.

Pics look great :icon_thumleft: and the only problem with them is it makes me wish it was next Friday already :wink: And I thought this past week was a long one :( Next week is going to be just like a kid again waiting for Christmas to get here ;D

Also I can't wait to see the eTrac and V3i in action...

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Scooter said:
Pics look great :icon_thumleft: and the only problem with them is it makes me wish it was next Friday already :wink: And I thought this past week was a long one :( Next week is going to be just like a kid again waiting for Christmas to get here ;D
Also I can't wait to see the eTrac and V3i in action...
I'm glad you made the Christmas reference. I almost did and then, naahhh. ;D
I got my V3i upgrade back today. I was just re-loading some custom programs from the V3 board since they got wiped in the machine upgrade process. I'll hunt around with it tomorrow.

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wouldnt expect much from the E-trac then...I am having to learn it. Havent even swung it over any ground yet. Wasnt able to go out today and do any hunting. So all I got to do was do some air testing and playing with the settings. Its an amazing machine, no doubt about it. That V3i is supposed to be something else as well. Likely going to be no contest though, as I am too new with this ET and Jim has at least got some experience with the V3. I am going to have to hunt every day this next week for at least a couple of hours each day to even get my head wrapped around this machine and begin to understand it.
Been reading the manual and the Andy Sabisch book and the book is great...but it seems like I read it and without actually doing it...just doesnt stick in my head. Maybe just trying too hard.

So tomorrow, before I go out, I am going to sit down with the book and the E-trac emulator program running and maybe between the two of them I can start to get my brain wrapped around this thing. Then take the real one out tomorrow and I think I will either go to the school site or maybe run into town and hit the park and tot lot. I need to hit somewhere that has been hit hard and is pretty clear so I can see just how this does. The school site hasnt been hit much, but I know the park in town has.

Us old farts just dont pick things up so easy, leastways I dont. The older I get, seems like the slower my ol brain works. Along with the body too.

I will get some photos taken of the old school site and the church site tomorrow...if I dont get distracted and forget. I figure you guys are going to find some cool stuff next weekend. I hope you do anyway. And at the homesteads. Here is a little tantilizing photo. These places were abandoned...furniture in place...And still there. So possiblities of a cache are pretty high.

Attachments

• homestead12.jpg
    homestead12.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 489
  • homestead12.jpg
    homestead12.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 490

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

It looks like the squirrels have already been through those cushions for the dropped change. Darn.

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not the squirrels, :icon_pirat: the picture taker. :hello2:

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

That sounds great Dennis up in the mountains you can see all the stars in the galaxy one of the things I miss about the Army and Alaska. Oh and I don't hold anything against ya for being Air Force lol

I love going through old buildings ya never know what ya will find but after looking at that grass I am glad I bought my snake guardz and will be wearing them too.

Going garage sale hunting today for camping gear before I buy in store. Not buying a tent from garage sale though you never know what condition they are in until it's to late.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Frank1960 said:
I am glad I bought my snake guardz and will be wearing them too.

Snakes? Should I wrap my legs with sheet metal?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread