old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are wanting to come and didnt get info post here now.

Ok, if you havent posted yet or let me know that you want to come, post now and I will PM you the hunt info. If you have let me know and didnt get the info...let me know also and I will send it to you.

Looks about 10 people so far.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Re: I am Arranging a GROUP HUNT for us COLORADO TNer's

Ya might Jim. While I was out getting metal from Purcell I saw my first snake a tan and black ringed bugger. Wasn't very big around about the size of my thumb and over a foot long I think but still startled me so yep I am wearing the guardz.

10 people wow going to be a party. Just so ya all know I get bed head so I will look like Carrot top the comedian in the morning but not with red hair lol

scooter

Nov 3, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Is it Saturday yet? ;D just can't wait...

Looks as if the weather will be nice for now according to the extended forecast :icon_thumleft: but as we all know that can change :-\

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not saying there arent any, but I havent seen a rattler around here in the years I have lived here. Seen grass snakes and kings and the occasional rat snake but thats about it. Our other place that we had on the NW side of Sterling we saw rattlers every summer. I have a few of their hides that I tanned.

I dont mind seeing rattlers though. They make good eating and I like to tan them so to me, just another natural resource.

And yep...they taste like chicken. :laughing7:

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Meant to add this but since its more serious, I didnt want to add it to my other post.

I was out swinging the coil of my Etrac this afternoon. Hadnt found much but was enjoying the sun. Anyway, I hit a good signal, and backed up to pinpoint it and when I did, tripped over a piece of concrette that was sticking up. Me being a clumsy idiot. Anyway, I twisted and landed wrong, and I screwed up my back pretty good. So I am out of action for a few days.

Doesnt mean the hunt is canceled, but I might not be able to get out and hunt like I would like to next weekend. Will see how my back is. I have screwed up my back like this before so I am familiar with the progression. The main thing though is you guys get out here and have a good hunt. IF I gotta sit on the sidelines, thats fine...I will cheer you all on. And I will detect as I can. I might need to get my wife out to help me some of the time. I detect, she digs. <laugh> She has done it before and we have worked as a team on it. Just hadnt planned on it next weekend. But that is life. Will try to get it worked out this week. I just dont heal up as quick as I did 20 years ago.

Just gives me more time for the cooking of the BBQ for saturday evening. I think my main enjoyment is going to be having all of you guys here and seeing how you do. And then sitting down and eating a meal together. And listening to all our lies about our big finds. <laugh>

Looking forward to meeting all of you. You all have a good week, and see ya next weekend. Anyone else that decides they are coming and want the directions sent, let me know...just PM me.

Dennis

scooter

Nov 3, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

old_goldchaser said:
Meant to add this but since its more serious, I didnt want to add it to my other post.

I was out swinging the coil of my Etrac this afternoon. Hadnt found much but was enjoying the sun. Anyway, I hit a good signal, and backed up to pinpoint it and when I did, tripped over a piece of concrette that was sticking up. Me being a clumsy idiot. Anyway, I twisted and landed wrong, and I screwed up my back pretty good. So I am out of action for a few days.

Doesnt mean the hunt is canceled, but I might not be able to get out and hunt like I would like to next weekend. Will see how my back is. I have screwed up my back like this before so I am familiar with the progression. The main thing though is you guys get out here and have a good hunt. IF I gotta sit on the sidelines, thats fine...I will cheer you all on. And I will detect as I can. I might need to get my wife out to help me some of the time. I detect, she digs. <laugh> She has done it before and we have worked as a team on it. Just hadnt planned on it next weekend. But that is life. Will try to get it worked out this week. I just dont heal up as quick as I did 20 years ago.

Just gives me more time for the cooking of the BBQ for saturday evening. I think my main enjoyment is going to be having all of you guys here and seeing how you do. And then sitting down and eating a meal together. And listening to all our lies about our big finds. <laugh>

Looking forward to meeting all of you. You all have a good week, and see ya next weekend. Anyone else that decides they are coming and want the directions sent, let me know...just PM me.

Dennis

Dennis,

Sorry to hear that you messed up your back. I know I cannot speak for everyone, but I personally have no problem with a re-schedule for another weekend if it means you can be out there with us all swinging and digging enjoying the day.

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No reschedule guys. I will be ok no matter what. I will just enjoy the company. I got lots of chances to hunt these sites and more. So dont worry. If my back is bad, just means my wife will help me. We have worked that way before. If she isnt able to help, I will just watch and offer advice. <laugh> If nothing else, I can scan for good signals and let yall dig em and keep whatever is there. I gotta learn this dang detector. I discovered today that there is a lot more to learning it. I had hunted about 2 hours before I screwed up and tripped over that dang concrete. Hadnt found anything except some metal. I was trying out the heavy junk program. Was getting signals that werent making sense to me. I just have to learn what this thing is telling me. I dug up my garden last week to move it because I wanted to expand it...and then discovered that I got so much junk around my place that I would have to dig for a week to clear an area big enough for what I want to do.

Anyway, I appreciate the thought, but lets keep it for next weekend like planned. Like I said...I have lots of time to detect these places... For me its all about meeting you guys and enjoying the company.
I will make do.

Dennis

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

Know how ya feel Dennis I have a bad back that goes out on me a lot. Don't just sit around pampering it get up and move just don't over do it. When mine goes bad I work through the pain eventually it goes numb lol but there are time when it gets so bad that I have to stop and let it heal some.

On a side note all metal that no one want I will take with me for scrap metal so it gets recycled. Nothing but plastic goes to waste lol

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Frank, I live on a ranch. There just aint no such thing as pampering anything...especially on me. <laugh> But when I twisted yesterday I did pull a muscle on one side. Done it before and it takes quite a while for me to get over it. After a couple of days I can usually get around ok, but doing anything major like lifting or doing much bending over, well...I will be limited for a couple of weeks.

But thats ok. I will still be able to do a little bit of digging...and will enjoy watching...and would like to be able to compare readings with folks when they scan something, I can scan after them to see what my etrac says, and then see what they dig up. THAT would help me more than anything. If I cant dig...thats fine...but the opportunity to compare readings and learn what this ET is saying would be a BIG help. If you folks can put up with me following you around some. Since I will likely not be able to do a whole bunch of digging, learning is the next best thing.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

Not a problem I volunteer Jimbog to tag along behind LOL Just kidding ya can follow me I am a rookie also and I'll even split the scrap metal we find LOL

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You can follow right behind me and pick up the tabs I point out! I actually had two hours of hunting Sunday afternoon and picked 2 rings and about 12 quarters plus other assorted change from the ground. One ring is silver with a stone. I think it's amethyst, but wife thought it might be a diamond. The other ring was a gold and silver band. I'm beginning to get the feel for the V3 and really like that updates to it.

I heard from my friends at NJC they were getting bad storms today. The good news is the rain should soften the ground. Last I looked the forecast looks great for the weekend. I'm ready.

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jimbog said:
You can follow right behind me and pick up the tabs I point out! I actually had two hours of hunting Sunday afternoon and picked 2 rings and about 12 quarters plus other assorted change from the ground. One ring is silver with a stone. I think it's amethyst, but wife thought it might be a diamond. The other ring was a gold and silver band. I'm beginning to get the feel for the V3 and really like that updates to it.

I heard from my friends at NJC they were getting bad storms today. The good news is the rain should soften the ground. Last I looked the forecast looks great for the weekend. I'm ready.

We got some of those storms out here today and last nite. Not too bad but the wind really kicked up. And SNOW for Wed from what I hear. Thats Colorado for you. Good thing we got globull warming....we would be having a blizzard wednesday. Havent seen snow out here on the plains this late in the year in a good many years. But you are right. This weekend is looking good. Supposed to be up around 70 on Saturday. NICE detecting weather and sunny. Sat and Sun both. Will gather a bunch of wood so we can have a nice campfire. Everything will be nice and green so no worries about fires. And out front is the perfect place. Make sure you guys bring some camp stools or chairs. I got some but not enough for all. That will make for a nice evening. Sitting around the campfire telling stories about our big finds of the day.

Hey, congrats on the rings. Anytime you find a ring its a good day.

I just need a lot more time on this ET. Its telling me alot but I am not getting it figured out yet. So since I wont be able to do alot of digging, just being able to scan over behind you guys and then seeing what you dig is going to be a BIG help to me. I figure that will be my payback for arranging this weekend, OK guy? I dont want any of your finds. I hope you guys find some great stuff. That school site should have some old coins on it. So should the church site. Both were there from about 1884 or so to the 50's or 60's. Same with the homesteads. So I am hoping you guys find some nice coins and maybe some relics. Up at the one homestead I found a distributor off what I think is an old model T. Found it under a tree in the Front yard. I can almost picture the farmer sitting under that tree on a hot day working on a part. Not sure how old it is though. The tree that is. I think it shows in the picture down below. Might not even have been there back then.

And Frank, you are welcome to all the scrap metal you dig. <laugh> Plus, there is alot just laying around up there at the one homestead. There is alot of stuff there. Old iron. You could likely pick up a 100 pounds of it in a day.

There is a basement in both places that I havent gone into. Not the size and conditon for exploring there. But there is no telling what is down there. Other than critters. Could be worthwhile checking them out.

That one building that I show in the photos was the original house, the one collapsing. It was built from sod and rock. Once the other house was built, they turned the sod place into a chicken coop in the sod side and added a wood workshop on one end. So that is an original sod building from homesteading days. Alot of history there. There is another farm a couple miles away that has a building still standing and being used that was built the same way. From sod and rock. If anyone is interested I can show it to you. From the road. Its a long building. But its interesting for sure. Going to see if we can get permission to hunt there too.
Dont know about it though. Not that we need it. we have 4 places to hunt and anyone that wants to swing a coil on my place is welcome. Its an original homestead as well. The houses on it now are both about, well one is about 80 years, and the other about 60 years old. One spot I will show yall is where I found a musket ball and 2 arrowheads in the same hole. Looked to have been a dropped ball but has what look to be toothmarks. Some untold history there.

I am really looking forward to this weekend.

scooter

Nov 3, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

old_goldchaser said:
Hey Frank, I live on a ranch. There just aint no such thing as pampering anything...especially on me. <laugh> But when I twisted yesterday I did pull a muscle on one side. Done it before and it takes quite a while for me to get over it. After a couple of days I can usually get around ok, but doing anything major like lifting or doing much bending over, well...I will be limited for a couple of weeks.

But thats ok. I will still be able to do a little bit of digging...and will enjoy watching...and would like to be able to compare readings with folks when they scan something, I can scan after them to see what my etrac says, and then see what they dig up. THAT would help me more than anything. If I cant dig...thats fine...but the opportunity to compare readings and learn what this ET is saying would be a BIG help. If you folks can put up with me following you around some. Since I will likely not be able to do a whole bunch of digging, learning is the next best thing.

Dennis,

You can follow me around as much as you like, I could use some DFX tips. I am getting more comfortable with it everyday as long as I can keep myself from cranking it up too hot and unstable. I did learn a very valuable lesson today as I had the pre-amp too high as usual and dropped it to 2 along with the A.C. phase and swept an area I had been over once already and got a solid +18 at 2.5" and started to dig that nickel when out popped my first gold ring ever. I about had a heart attack :o all in all a good day with (2) wheaties and $2+ in clad and the "heart attack" ring.

Jim,

Congrats on the rings as well :icon_thumright:

I would love to check out your V3i if you don't mind...

Hope I did not use up all my luck this week :-\,
Scooter

Attachments

• DFX 025.jpg
    DFX 025.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 411

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

If no one else wants to brave the basement I sure will just no one walking above me while I am down there LOL

Don't think I could get that much inside the truck Dennis. Would bring my trailer and load up but I want to detect not work loading metal all weekend.

It might be a good idea for us to decide who is bringing what side dish so we don't have all the same stuff.

I hope to leave around noon Friday Dennis and using my directions it should take between 2 and 3 hours to get there. Oh ya might want to check the directions you posted from Greeley because ya had me going to New Mexico and then to Kansas it showed me taking 2 days to get to your place. Remind me not to ask you how to get to the bathroom if I need to go bad LOL

Congrats on the ring Jim and if that is a fresh ring then congrats to you also Scooter

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

I'll bring chips 3 or 4 bags should tide us over for the weekend.

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am gonna be smoking some pork and some lamb and then bbq'ing some burgers and dogs and spareribs sat evening. Also going to do some baked taters and smoked baked beans. Since all of that can be done in the big grill I have, its no big deal. So if you guys want to bring stuff to put on the taters and any veggies you might want.

Was also thinking of doing a brisquet. If none of you have ever had TexMex bbq'd brisquit then you dont know what you have missed. Mine I cook for about 12 hours or so and they are usually tender enough to cut with a fork.

Just so you guys know. I am known for my cooking in this area. No bragging needed. <laugh>

So Saturday be prepared to eat hearty.

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey, and congrats on the rings guys. It doesnt get better than that....unless you find a pile of them. :hello2: :notworthy:

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

Ok it is the middle of May and there is SNOW on my truck! What's up with that? Sheeeesh ???

Wow Dennis sounds like your cooking for an Army! Sure hope you like leftovers for a week Sure sounds mouth watering though.

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well folks, just a report on the situation here as far as the weather has left.

The roads were turned into a swamp around here. Since yesterday, the dirt roads in this area required almost a 4x4 drive to get through. And with the forecast now with a few days yet to go showing 30 percent or more chance of thunderstorms, things arent looking as good for this weekend as they did a few days ago.

Its up to you folks who planned to come. You are still welcome. But things could be a mess. Rainstorms around here turn the roads to mud pits. To us who live out here, it is nothing new. Thats why everyone drives 4x4 pickups out here. The UPS guy got stuck today. <laugh>

Opening things up for discussion. I am all for everyone showing up this weekend, but just wanting to point out that the weather could make things difficult.

Thoughts all?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread