Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you dont wear the headphones you wasted your money , congrats to both of you on your purchases .
Let me explain the deus is a tone machine and it has alot of info in the tones and you need the headphones to hear them such as deep iron and faint deep signals. There are little nuances in the tones you need to learn and understand what the machine is telling you.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ordered my Deus today, from Big Boys Metal Detectors. i recommend anyone go to them as they really take care of you. Great prices also and will PRICE MATCH any competitor. cant beat that. my deus should be here by Friday and I be digging relics with it on Saturday. thanks to all in this forum for the advice and counsel! cheers!

Welcome Sir! Enjoy it! If you have any questions just let me know. Should be there tomorrow! ;)

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let me explain the deus is a tone machine and it has alot of info in the tones and you need the headphones to hear them such as deep iron and faint deep signals. There are little nuances in the tones you need to learn and understand what the machine is telling you.

The Deus also doesn't have the volume to be used without headphones in many situations. I turned the speaker on to show a friend the fast response of the Deus, and with a breeze and a few cars driving down the street, it was difficult for him to hear just a couple of feet away.

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Deus also doesn't have the volume to be used without headphones in many situations. I turned the speaker on to show a friend the fast response of the Deus, and with a breeze and a few cars driving down the street, it was difficult for him to hear just a couple of feet away.
that sucks, i am not a headphone guy. i understand the need, but often dont care as i just dont like them. maybe these small wireless ones will change me. if not, i will miss targets. so be it.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
that sucks, i am not a headphone guy. i understand the need, but often dont care as i just dont like them. maybe these small wireless ones will change me. if not, i will miss targets. so be it.

You will miss lots of desireable targets.

I've been hunting an abandoned mining camp that's now standing corn. Walking between rows the dried leaves brushing against me combined with a breeze makes quite a racket at times. Bow hunters in the area, so I'm not wearing headphones!

The V3i wore out my arm after 5 hours. Pull Deus out of my pack and couldn't hear crap. Only shallow or large items. Put on backphones for a few minutes but just couldn't do it with hunters around. Too unsafe. Deus got put away and the volume adjustment on the V won the day. My arm wouldn't know it though.

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I've been hunting an abandoned mining camp that's now standing corn. Walking between rows the dried leaves brushing against me combined with a breeze makes quite a racket at times. Bow hunters in the area, so I'm not wearing headphones!

The V3i wore out my arm after 5 hours. Pull Deus out of my pack and couldn't hear crap. Only shallow or large items. Put on backphones for a few minutes but just couldn't do it with hunters around. Too unsafe. Deus got put away and the volume adjustment on the V won the day. My arm wouldn't know it though.

OK, will wear the headphones. i wont worry about hunters either as i will be wearing orange everything. they will think i am a traffic cone and not shoot at me! :dontknow:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In over 10 years of detecting I have always shunned headphones, but I don't mind them with the Deus.
You can go without them for casual hunting in a tot lot or backyard, but they really are necessary in the field. As with most headphones you still have a bit of peripheral hearing ,, You won't hear someone creeping up on you but if a cop said "What are you doing ?" you would hear it.

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You might consider wearing headphones, and keeping one cuff off your ear and one on. I've done that and it's worked for me. Wearing orange in addition to this might help with your situation [emoji1]

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use the headphones. I know what you were going through with the ATP. Those wired phones were a PIA. The WS4 is a different animal. Nothing to get hung up on anything and they are light.

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Use the headphones. I know what you were going through with the ATP. Those wired phones were a PIA. The WS4 is a different animal. Nothing to get hung up on anything and they are light.

it was from your advice i got the WS-4 headphones. i dont like the full sized ones. Definately dont like to be in the woods hunting with those things on. Feel like i cant hear my surroundings and need know if a grizz or wolf is about to pounce me. i may wear these, they look ok.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wireless headphones rule!! I still like to slide them off of my ears while I pinpoint & dig, but not having a cord getting in the way, or snagging on branches is wonderful.

I suspect that using the Deus without headphones will run the remote's battery down quicker.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it was from your advice i got the WS-4 headphones. i dont like the full sized ones. Definately dont like to be in the woods hunting with those things on. Feel like i cant hear my surroundings and need know if a grizz or wolf is about to pounce me. i may wear these, they look ok.

If you run across a grizz let me know. I'll go out and get me a tag lol. I think the only thing you need to worry about is raccoons, squirrels, and opossums. You'll be fine with the WS4's you can always turn the volume down. Remember they are worn around the back of your neck, not on top like regular headphones.

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you run across a grizz let me know. I'll go out and get me a tag lol. I think the only thing you need to worry about is raccoons, squirrels, and opossums. You'll be fine with the WS4's you can always turn the volume down. Remember they are worn around the back of your neck, not on top like regular headphones.
yes, talking about when i am up in yellowstone. all kinds of animals that will kill you up there. it is such a HUGE difference here, you dont have to fear for your life when you enter the woods. i wear snake boots though, just in case. ya, i saw they are worn on the back of the neck. hope i like that.

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wireless headphones rule!! I still like to slide them off of my ears while I pinpoint & dig, but not having a cord getting in the way, or snagging on branches is wonderful.

I suspect that using the Deus without headphones will run the remote's battery down quicker.

used the wireless headphones late last night in my backyard after the machine finally arrived and i got it charged. feels a little strange having something on the back of your next, but other than that they are fine. love the deus so far.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are hunting in Yellowstone,the bear wearing the ranger hat is yourr biggest worry.

Smokey the Bear only cares about you preventing forest fires. :tongue3:

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Smokey the Bear only cares about you preventing forest fires. :tongue3:[/QUOT lm talking about the ranger with a hat , try hunting that grizzly in a National park and see what happens

i would never hunt a grizz. but, if one came into my tent at night, i'd put a few slugs in her before she killed me. i slept many summers in yellowstone. was there the year the guy got mauled in Soda Butte campground. they ate him alive. its real up there. nature does not play favorites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread