Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be off base on my concern and I know most of you already know this, so don't flame me. But regarding metal detecting in any national park - big no no. It's a federal offense, felony. Your gear, vehicle, etc. can be seized. In fact, if you enter a national park with your detector in plain view, appearing ready to be used (i.e., not broken down), is grounds enough for the Park ranger to arrest you. This goes for ANY national park, not just battlefields and other historic sites. Just a word of warning based on the Yellowstone discussion above.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I may be off base on my concern and I know most of you already know this, so don't flame me. But regarding metal detecting in any national park - big no no. It's a federal offense, felony. Your gear, vehicle, etc. can be seized. In fact, if you enter a national park with your detector in plain view, appearing ready to be used (i.e., not broken down), is grounds enough for the Park ranger to arrest you. This goes for ANY national park, not just battlefields and other historic sites. Just a word of warning based on the Yellowstone discussion above.
Thanks for doing the needful. I was wondering about that in this discussion, as well.

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for doing the needful. I was wondering about that in this discussion, as well.

the discussion of Yellowstone was in JEST as I had mentioned my piranha shovel was good for wolves and grizz. it took off from there. no one was talking about relic hunting IN yellowstone. lol. I have been to Yellowstone for 17 years straight and have never once "hunted" in park boundaries. i dont believe anyone on here was really talking about relic hunting in yellowstone. I sure was not. :dontknow:

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's why you need that piranha !

lol, see you were also joking about the piranha being good for grizz and wolves. next people will say we are really hunting bears and wolves and should be fined. :dontknow:

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
now you guys got me curious though, what kind of finds would there be around the old faithful lodge? :laughing7:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the discussion of Yellowstone was in JEST as I had mentioned my piranha shovel was good for wolves and grizz. it took off from there. no one was talking about relic hunting IN yellowstone. lol. I have been to Yellowstone for 17 years straight and have never once "hunted" in park boundaries. i dont believe anyone on here was really talking about relic hunting in yellowstone. I sure was not. :dontknow:

Scott - my post wasn't aimed at anyone who actually posted and certainly not at you directly. I know that people who post here generally know the rules hence all my caveats about "I know most of you already know this...don't flame me" etc. but despite my best efforts to avoid it, I apparently struck a nerve even though I was not accusing anyone of anything. Could have been worded better I guess. I think it you go back an read the thread, it is not exactly clear what is in jest and not. We went from not wearing phones so you can hear your surroundings like wildlife and then yellowstone comes up. If you read through it, its easy to see how someone could inadvertently connect dots that should not be connected.

Let me be clear -

There have been 40 some posts in this thread and 1600+ views. That means there are a lot of lurkers out there who will never post but they sure as heck read and believe what they read. My post was directed at those who are reading the thread but don't understand what are jokes, may not know the rules that may be obvious to the experienced, start connecting dots that shouldn't be connected, and then end up getting themselves in trouble.

Just because you don't say it or mean it doesn't mean someone won't interpret it the wrong way, especially written word which lacks the visual queues and body language that clue your audience in to the fact that you are joking. It's as simple as someone not reading carefully and not understanding or knowing the rules and thinking hey this is a thread on the Deus and relic hunting and someone said something about Yellowstone park so they must hunt there. Boom - someone is going to do something stupid. So I put out the Public Service Announcement for the benefit of the lurkers who may not know better. Didn't mean to offend or imply that anyone posting was breaking rules. And I don't expect people to put disclaimers in their posts saying "Just Kidding". I just saw a potential bad situation that could result from misinterpretation and wanted to put the info out there to protect those without bad intent from getting themselves in trouble. I'll take this as a lesson learned for next time on how I can better word my post so people don't think I am accusing them of doing something they didn't do while I'm trying to put out the "kids don't do this in a national park" message for the clueless. Again, no offence intended.

Last edited:

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
no offense taken vferrari. not at all and i appreciate your detailed response. using the logic embedded in your reply, it also therefore follows that a"lurker" who read your post warning people about the serious legal matter that detecting in a place like yellowstone would/could be, may infer that we are indeed discussing detecting in Yellowstone. my reply to your reply was merely aimed at clarifying that we were not discussing detecting in yellowstone. the "hunting" i believe that was 1st mentioned involved hunting grizz with the piranha shovel, a joking response to my stating that the shovel is effective to protect oneself from grizz (which I, of course, realize is not true, having spent much time myself in grizz country up there. the best defense is either bear spray or simply to play dead and hope for the best). i agree, the joking probably need be more clearly labeled as such so as not to give lurkers or those simply not following every word to the letter the wrong idea. in my own defense, i usually use the :laughing7: icon when i am joking. i think i probably did. :dontknow: again, no offense taken or meant to be given. I know others were also involved in the multiple posts related to "hunting" in yellowstone and I do not intend to speak for all those involved, only myself. let's get back discussing relics...

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no offense taken vferrari. not at all and i appreciate your detailed response. using the logic embedded in your reply, it also therefore follows that a"lurker" who read your post warning people about the serious legal matter that detecting in a place like yellowstone would/could be, may infer that we are indeed discussing detecting in Yellowstone. my reply to your reply was merely aimed at clarifying that we were not discussing detecting in yellowstone. the "hunting" i believe that was 1st mentioned involved hunting grizz with the piranha shovel, a joking response to my stating that the shovel is effective to protect oneself from grizz (which I, of course, realize is not true, having spent much time myself in grizz country up there. the best defense is either bear spray or simply to play dead and hope for the best). i agree, the joking probably need be more clearly labeled as such so as not to give lurkers or those simply not following every word to the letter the wrong idea. in my own defense, i usually use the :laughing7: icon when i am joking. i think i probably did. :dontknow: again, no offense taken or meant to be given. I know others were also involved in the multiple posts related to "hunting" in yellowstone and I do not intend to speak for all those involved, only myself. let's get back discussing relics...

Amen to that. I only wish I was successful this weekend in finding some relics to discuss. Came up dry at an old 1880's period farmhouse near South Hill VA. Plenty of buried mason jar lids though, they ring up just like silver dollars. Really annoying. :BangHead:

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
at least you dug mason jar lids. :thumbsup: i have not been out since the day before thanksgiving. going through withdrawal BIG TIME. i will hit it this weekend for sure. enjoying the posts of others finds in the mean time!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where you going yellowstone? lol:laughing7: couldnt resist.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are going to a national park I have a warning, do not try to search a Griz for relics using a pinpointer. He might get the wrong idea...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, back on target. I just bought a new XP Deus. Full package including the case. Going to try it the first time on Saturday in an untouched field near a very popular and extremely old crossroads in Maryland. For an open field in soil which should not have a big natural iron content and no hot rocks, which out of the box program would you first use? Could be ANYTHING there, or nothing.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
would you like my relic program? its very simple and its a deep program, I never used a factory preset and I dont believe in them now either because they restrict the machine to much imo and you will think you spent 1500.00 on a machine that doesnt perform any better than a at pro. just my 2 cents if you do your home work and learn how to put the settings in and save them I can give you a great program to start with. I know some use basic 1 and 2 or deus fast.

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use calabash's program and it is awesome. new deus user here myself. also use the relic 2 program I got off of a website. def dont use the stock programs. i figured that out testing in my backyard. glad this forum is back on track! not sure who brought up Yellowstone! :dontknow:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be a plan. It has a couple custom modes already in it. First, I need to get it out of the box.....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And send in the warranty card. Also going to a 55 acre farm Saturday no one has EVER dug, 30 miles from Gettysburg. Might be good, might not be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread