WS4 headphone volume : how high to hear faint signals?

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is an old thread, but '1' on the volume on my WS4 is painfully loud. If '0' was just a tad louder it would be just about perfect. There seems to be a defect in some of the WS4 pucks. I have a friend coming into town next month to do some detecting with me and he's bringing his XP Deus. We are going to compare them side by on the volume. I'll let y'all know the results.

tabman

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
This is an old thread, but '1' on the volume on my WS4 is painfully loud. If '0' was just a tad louder it would be just about perfect. There seems to be a defect in some of the WS4 pucks. I have a friend coming into town next month to do some detecting with me and he's bringing his XP Deus. We are going to compare them side by on the volume. I'll let y'all know the results.

tabman

I'd be interested to see how they compare. Funny, today for the first time in years, I raised the volume on my WS4's from 1 to 2. The site I was at was covered with an inch or two of crunchy oak and beach leaves. I had to turn it back down to 1 once I hit cleaner ground.

Last edited:

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Never looked at a volume number, just press the volume up or down button until pleasant to use.

g

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run mine wide open....I like to hear the faint ones...

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a little late to this party, but I run @ 5 in a semi noisy environment....waves ...surf etc

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just want to let everyone know that I sent my WS4 in for service to Detector Electronics Corp and the turnaround was really super fast. I wasn't imagining that my WS4 Puck was too loud, it was. I'm a happy camper now. Now I can set the volume at '2' or maybe even a little higher without getting my ears blasted, whereas before '1' was way too loud. XP service is GREAT!

tabman

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not good hearing. 6 or 7 anything more you can't distinguish the deep targets as easily.

efreedma

Tenderfoot
Aug 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually run my WS4's at 7 with an audio response of 3-4.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread