WS4 headphone volume : how high to hear faint signals? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: WS4 headphone volume : how high to hear faint signals?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Clad Killin Relic Huntin Machine

Mar 2015
    XP Deus Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro Minelab Sovereign GT Minelab X-Terra 705 Minelab Explorer SE Minelab e-trac Tesoro compadre Whites v3i AT Pro Teknetics Gamma 6000 Bounty Hunter Camo LS Bounty Hunt
    913 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Or at least that's what I thought they were...... I'll have to recheck on today's lunch hunt and get back to you..... that would mean I'm near def from what yalls settings are....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jun 2016
    910 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Prius View Post
    Hi SDT, not enough experience on the WS4, but initial use is positive. The reason I got the WS4 is because of the heat in summer. I plan on getting the Deteknix phones that take the puck for fall and winter.
    That's a good plan. You will like the Deteknix phones, and you can't beat the price...the best of both worlds.

May 2008
    XP Deus
    830 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jadocs View Post
    Something's off. So you hit the menu button on your headphones....cycle through until it's says volume....and it says "1"?
    Indeed it does. And it gets louder if I scroll up. Now, I am usually out in the middle of the woods and the only background noise is the wind blowing through the trees. So unless I am in a howling wind, a setting of "1" is sufficiently loud enough for me.
    jadocs and tabman like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    6834 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretch Da Truth View Post
    I have the WS5's and set my volume at 3. It is odd to be a 1 and have it be too loud.
    How do you guys like the WS4's?
    I didn't think I would like the way they sit on the back part of the head. Look odd but then again, I have never tried them.
    I think the WS4 has several subtle and not so subtle advantages vs. the WS5's

1) The backphones are light and inexpensive should they break since the WS4 puck (the expensive part) is detachable, unlike the control unit on the WS5 - if the WS5 phones break, you are sending the whole thing back in for repair and have lost the secondary control unit. Backphones are good for the beach and hot conditions. Surprisingly good sound for what they are.

2) The WS4 puck is considered highly water resistant, some even say waterproof (though I would not push it with underwater detecting, but if you take an occasional accidental dunk, probably not a problem and they definitely can handle a downpour without a problem). My understanding is that the WS5's are not water resistant.

3) The WS4 puck can be attached to a number of third party over the ear phones to give WS5 like functionality and keep your ears warm or keep out distracting outside noise. My (new) favorite third party cans for the WS4 are the Deteknix which are also weatherproof, sound good, comfortable, relatively inexpensive compared to its direct competitors (the Vance Phones and the Grey Ghosts), and have a hardwired jack that enables them to be used in a wired configuration if necessary.

4) The detachable nature of the WS4 puck also allows it to be attached to a number of XP accessory mounts such as on the pole stem, a watch like band, or a forearm/bicep pouch and there is a headphone adapter attachment you can purchase separately for about $20US such that you can plug in your favorite wired phones to the WS4 control module, if desired.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

us
    Jun 2015
    Maryland
    XP Deus Minelab Equinox
    9547 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (3)
    WS4 at 1 or 2 makes no sense to me. Im at 6-7
    tabman likes this.
    Pine Tree Shilling(Noe 1)-Cut Pine Tree Shilling-Louis XIV 4 Sols-16 Cobs

May 2008
    XP Deus
    830 times
    Well Prius.....looks like everyone else besides us needs to clean the wax out of their ears
    vferrari and jadocs like this.

us
    Sep 2011
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
    Well Prius.....looks like everyone else besides us needs to clean the wax out of their ears
    Yup, the mystery deepens.

us
    Jul 2011
    Germantown, Tennessee
    Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
    6525 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    This is an old thread, but '1' on the volume on my WS4 is painfully loud. If '0' was just a tad louder it would be just about perfect. There seems to be a defect in some of the WS4 pucks. I have a friend coming into town next month to do some detecting with me and he's bringing his XP Deus. We are going to compare them side by on the volume. I'll let y'all know the results.

tabman
    Jeff H likes this.
    CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, Minelab e-trac, Fisher CZ-5 & CZ3D, Minelab Equinox, Whites MXT All Pro, Tesoro Eldorado

May 2008
    XP Deus
    830 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tabman View Post
    This is an old thread, but '1' on the volume on my WS4 is painfully loud. If '0' was just a tad louder it would be just about perfect. There seems to be a defect in some of the WS4 pucks. I have a friend coming into town next month to do some detecting with me and he's bringing his XP Deus. We are going to compare them side by on the volume. I'll let y'all know the results.

tabman
    I'd be interested to see how they compare. Funny, today for the first time in years, I raised the volume on my WS4's from 1 to 2. The site I was at was covered with an inch or two of crunchy oak and beach leaves. I had to turn it back down to 1 once I hit cleaner ground.
    Last edited by Jeff H; Dec 01, 2019 at 10:06 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2005
    Coastal Georgia
    XP Deus, XP ORX, Equinox 800, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
    226 times
    Never looked at a volume number, just press the volume up or down button until pleasant to use.

g
    RW likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    XP DEUS,EQUINOX 800, ANFIBIO MULTI, EXCALIBUR
    7622 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    I run mine wide open....I like to hear the faint ones...

Jas 1:22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2013
    Wisconsin
    XP-DEUS, Equinox 800, 1280x
    868 times
    I'm a little late to this party, but I run @ 5 in a semi noisy environment....waves ...surf etc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links