Been using 4.0

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
So I loaded up 4.0 about two weeks ago now, and have been using it for 12 hours. At about 10 hours in from a full charged update the bettery meter reads one bar. I re-charged everything yesterday, went for a two hour hunt, which was good except my battery meter reads one bar again! I'm planning to just charge it, turn it on, run it down dead and keep time. Never saw this prior to the update. I have not been following the early reports much as it's full on jewelry season, but bug or battery? Reload the update?

Deus on a schoolyard terror; 4 rings, button, clad, 62' silver - two hours.
262uywz.jpg

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had similar issues with 3.2....it went away after a recharge or 2......

I noticed XP stated "make sure everything is fully charged before installing the update"

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I had lost my fist post, but in this one I forgot to mention it was fully charged immediately prior to update, then I put 10 hours on that same charge. Also, this is for the coil only that shows low battery after two hours off a fresh charge. Everything else shows normal battery drain.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the V4 programs... DEEP, I believe, runs with a TX setting of 3. That will consume more power. I believe also that running in Full Tones mode does, but that would be for the headphones. I doubt that would affect the coil batteries.

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
In over two years of hunting with the Deus, there were only two times when my battery died prematurely and that's when I upped my settings to TX-3. I'm told that's not supposed to happen, but it did.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reload the program and run it dead before a charging again.

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I used it again today for two hours. Still reads one bar. I think I'll just see how long it lasts at this point.

We'll see what happens.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Noticed battery life is majorly reduced with the V4 software. Also have noticed that sometimes the battery meter is not correct and I have to restart the Dues to get it read properly. I also noticed that sometimes the software will get a "bug" and the machine will not work like it normally does, only happened once and on the Beta V4 software but again a restart cleared the issue up right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're racking finds up, Deft!

I do not have enough experience to comment on how long the battery last verses 4.0.

But I do like the two new X-Y screens. The "Deep" helps me discern flattened aluminum cans and bottle caps easier. Which is major improvement in 4.0. Major!

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noticed battery life is majorly reduced with the V4 software. Also have noticed that sometimes the battery meter is not correct and I have to restart the Dues to get it read properly. I also noticed that sometimes the software will get a "bug" and the machine will not work like it normally does, only happened once and on the Beta V4 software but again a restart cleared the issue up right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What type of bug did you experience?

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I drove 26 miles one way to relic hunt and had the Deus coil die in the field 20 min. into the hunt. 4 1/2 hours off a full charge.

SOB!

Good thing I brought a spare machine.

Will be uninstalling 4.0 and reinstalling this week.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully, your coil battery is not going bad, but going back to 3.2 will be a good way to tell whether or not that is the case. I have not had that experience with V 4 so far regarding coil battery life, seems about the same. Regarding the remote, I am especially pushing the remote's battery by keeping the backlight on continuously since I like to detect in the evenings until twilight, lol and I can still detect for hours with that configuration.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In over two years of hunting with the Deus, there were only two times when my battery died prematurely and that's when I upped my settings to TX-3. I'm told that's not supposed to happen, but it did.

Page 38 of the 3.2 manual says "The power only has a subtle effect on the device's pure performance with regard to sensitivity. However, it increases your detector's power consumption as well as alters its stability on difficult ground".

I read it somewhere else as well... perhaps in Andy's book.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I drove 26 miles one way to relic hunt and had the Deus coil die in the field 20 min. into the hunt. 4 1/2 hours off a full charge.

SOB!

Good thing I brought a spare machine.

Will be uninstalling 4.0 and reinstalling this week.
Man, that really stinks!! I have not experienced that, myself. I did find once that my headphones died prematurely, but I suspect that I didn't have the USB plugged in correctly while charging.

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have 3.2 loaded back onto the Deus. There was a firewall problem I didn't have last time, so it took a good minute and several tries to figure out it wanted to call home, but it's loaded. Maybe it loaded the unauthorized V4.0 off my hard drive that first time. I never had installed it but it was downloaded. This time I moved anything XP over to external HD and did a fresh 3.2 install.

Might have a chance to run it back out to the relic site today. We'll see what's up.

Even with that minor annoyance, XP did make the update process pretty much idiot-proof, IMO. So kudos to XP for that. :icon_thumright:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still running the 3.2, but it has some professionally loaded programs 11, 12, and 13 and it's been sucking good stuff out of the ground, so I'm not going to switch probably till mid summer, if then. As in when I'm not digging and can play with it. Spring is upon us here and the grass is getting high and people are starting to plow.

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
OK, almost 5 hours on V3.2 and the coil reads full bar. Seems it's not my battery but the install of V4.0 or something.

So back to the old Deus I know and am comfortable with. Iron digging and all, LOL!
finds_cleaned.jpg

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it ain't broke don't break it again. Lol.

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm happy it was not a bad battery! 8-)

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I was beginning to get interested in the Deus 4.0

I know the Deus is a great machine, hunted along side of it with my CTX and he kicked my butt. But, I'm still learning the CTX, have never varied from the boot up screen in over 100 hours, I've always been a sound guy. Andy's Boot Camp on April 29 will change my way of swinging.

I only presume Deus will leap in and solve this. That's what GREAT companies do.

And, who knows for me down the road, after all, as I can remember, I've already owned 17 different machines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread