Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My XP charging clip spring broke on me last week. I ordered one of those "new, improved" clips from Detecting Doodads rather than deal with getting a replacement that will also probably break in a while (XP... shame on you! Clever designs must still be durable designs or they are worthless!) This guy 3D prints a charger clamp of his own design.

Doodads.jpg

Seems to be a good design... for the older coils. But I also have the 9" elliptical HF coil, and the Doodads charger DOES NOT FIT! Deus for some reason decided to put a couple of ribs at the point of connection that keep the new clip from fitting.

I have written to they guy that makes them, but haven't heard back yet. I'm sure he will fix the problem and send me a new clip, but who knows how long that will take. Meanwhile I'm stuck with trying to get my older clip with the broken spring to stay in place during the entire charging cycle.

You can see the new ribs in this photo, on the side of the brace that has the contacts.
xp-deus-v4-hf-elliptical-coil.jpg.4b684e1e833e3c0d3ab9a66d7df778c7.jpg

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to know. Thanks IB. Let us know how it turns out.

Theppgcowboy

Aug 15, 2017
Western Montana
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for letting us know about this company, I just got a new charger knowing mine will give up the ghost one day.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Note my avatar... in the hot rod world, we would Dremel those ridges off of there, and go get another beer!

Thanks for the info, and best of luck to you sir.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Note my avatar... in the hot rod world, we would Dremel those ridges off of there, and go get another beer!

Thanks for the info, and best of luck to you sir.

I've thought about it. Or a hot paperclip might do the trick. But first I want to see what Don is willing to do. He wrote me that he sent for a HF coil so that he can re-engineer the clip but hasn't received it yet. He didn't mention what he might do to compensate me.

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GM1000, XP Deus, GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me tell you, the OEM charging clips barely work on the HF coils, I have had one cover replaced and while the clip now fits, it is barely on. The new HF coils suck for charging clips! I got both new coils and my clips are screaming from being squeezed open to the max and surely will break one day.

Crappy design work from XP if you ask me...or at least on my 2 new HF coils.

Jim

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let me tell you, the OEM charging clips barely work on the HF coils, I have had one cover replaced and while the clip now fits, it is barely on. The new HF coils suck for charging clips! I got both new coils and my clips are screaming from being squeezed open to the max and surely will break one day.

Crappy design work from XP if you ask me...or at least on my 2 new HF coils.

Jim

I just got a replacement clip from XP and I swear that the spring is much harder to squeeze than the first one was, especially when fitting it on the old LF loop. It fits the HF loop just fine. But yeah... even with today's plastics, you don't make a part out of it that has to be sprung over and over and expect no fatigue failures!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread