Relic Hunting

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watching Gary Blackwell on Iron video he said the people who are having trouble identifying iron are all using aftermarket headphones.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watching Gary Blackwell on Iron video he said the people who are having trouble identifying iron are all using aftermarket headphones.

Not true. Iron fools me all the time. Must be those damn WS5’s :)

Thats a good video though. Watched it many times.

Last edited:

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run in 12 kHz, ID Norm = Off, full tones, reactivity 2, silencer -1, zero discrimination, sensitivity 90-95 depending on soil conditions, using the X35 coil. Bottle caps will have a TID of either 84 or 94 in my soil. The ones at 84 have a noticeable “halo” or trace scratchiness towards the edge of the target. The ones at 94 sound great at first, but break apart once the target is scrutinized from a different angle, or if you drag the coil towards yourself over the target. I am aware of the risks of non ferrous up or down averaging running zero discrimination, but the results with bottle caps are consistent in my neck of the woods using the above settings.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just went and counted about a dozen bottle caps in my first 25 hours. And many of those is because I didn't check them before digging. I did throw some away so maybe 20 total.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I use XP wired FX-02. Blackwell says he likes those.

Indy durtdigger

Mar 20, 2019
East Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Equinox 600, XP DEUS with 9, 11x13, and HF coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm pretty new to the DEUS and still in the experimenting with the different programs phase of the learning curve. Last night I was hunting a camping area next too an equestrian event arena, those peeps loves them some silver. The spot I hit last night is relatively clean but still has good targets at depth so I gave the deep program with the x-y screen a shot. I have to say of all the detectors I've used over the years that is hands down the best for identifying bottle caps I have ever seen (the large aluminum screw caps from soda bottles not withstanding). The modern beer bottle type alloy twist caps were giving a perfectly clean line just above horizontal and the older steel rusty ones made a rectangle on the screen that varied in size depending on how much of a rust halo they had. Not sure how well that program will work in trash or iron but plan on giving it a shot with some minor site appropriate tweaks later this week.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Without any discrimination iron will show as non-ferrous on the horseshoe, but not on the XY graph. Vertical nails has got me a time or two.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug two horseshoes yesterday, but they were from a CW battlefield, and I was hoping for a shell fragment, so I have no excuse.

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, let me start by saying that I believe that the XP Deus makes the best detector on the market. I will always default back to the XP Deus when I am questioning which detector to use. However, I like to park hunt and in the old parks are deep coins. As many of you know the Deus will raise the conductivity on deep non ferrous, so deep coins can all sound the same and show the same VDI. Well ever since I purchased the x35 coils and updated to Software Vol. 5.2 bottle caps have both sounded the same and produced the same VDI as a quarter (clad and silver). I decided to make a video in my test garden showing the difference between the Deus Fast vs the Deus Deep programs on bottle caps and a clad quarter. The signals are all almost identical on all targets in both Deus Fast and Deus Deep. I believe that the bottle cap is the Achilles' Heel of the XP Deus with this current software volume. Previous Software volumes would allow you to see the mineralization bar to spike when you swung the coil over a bottle cap. No longer the case. If anyone has the solution to differentiating the bottle cap from a good non ferrous then please let me know? Otherwise enjoy the video.

I had to chuckle when you said Corona caps are the worse....I agree 110% ... LOL What the hell do they alloy them with?? Silver??? They always sound good to me.

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

i have found that even at zero disc i hear nulling on some iron. going to -2.5 seems to be more like REAL zero disc. five it a try.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Pinpoint mode you can hear iron gives a more intense sound. Just put out some various test targets and see. Gold, even silver not nearly so screaming.

Last edited:

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All of the above! I keep a low-frequency version of my coin program right next to it on the program list so I can easily switch to it to watch for a VDI change.

Good hunting,
Bob

That works in most cases with low frequency coils, but VDI norm is all you've got with the high frequency coils.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That works in most cases with low frequency coils, but VDI norm is all you've got with the high frequency coils.

Actually, ID Norm is OFF for the HF coils and cannot be turned ON, so the frequency-based iron check VDI change can also be used with the HF coils.

Last edited:

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually, ID Norm is OFF for the HF coils and cannot be turned ON, so the frequency-based iron check VDI change can also be used with the HF coils.

If what you say is true, consider my mind blown. I can't verify right now, but will as soon as I can.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If what you say is true, consider my mind blown. I can't verify right now, but will as soon as I can.

Yep, true. It is in the manuals for v4 and v5, also. Bizarre fun fact. I believe ID norm is on for the HF coils using the ORX. Go figure.

Of course, since you can only lower frequency to 13 khz, the iron check ID change is not as dramatic as with the 4 khz on the LF and X35 coils.

Last edited:

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, true. It is in the manuals for v4 and v5, also. Bizarre fun fact. I believe ID norm is on for the HF coils using the ORX. Go figure.

Of course, since you can only lower frequency to 13 khz, the iron check ID change is not as dramatic as with the 4 khz on the LF and X35 coils.

A good friend of mine owns the ORX, I also believe that ID norm is set to on based upon what he tells me when we hunt together.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I just looked at the 4.1 manual and all I could find was,in the ID Norm section "Note: This function is not available with the HF coils." You've never steered me wrong with your advice, so I feel funny even asking you this, but can you point me to a source? I'm not really in a good situation for doing my own testing right now.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just looked at the 4.1 manual and all I could find was,in the ID Norm section "Note: This function is not available with the HF coils." You've never steered me wrong with your advice, so I feel funny even asking you this, but can you point me to a source? I'm not really in a good situation for doing my own testing right now.

Deja vu...lol.

You proved it to yourself nearly 2 years ago, see this thread:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/deus/552116-hf-9-5-coil-tid-normalized.html#post5519241

It was the first thing that popped up when I did a google search on "Deus HF coils and ID Norm". BTW - I didn't remember this thread either...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread