Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was under the understanding that the new HF coils had the TID normalized, and there was no way of changing that. True, there is no way to change the ID Norm setting, but my coil is most definitely NOT normalized! I just checked it out on several objects and here is what I found:

14K Gold Ring
----------------
14.4 - 44
28.8 - 60
74.0 - 80

Barber Quarter
------------
14.4 - 94
28.8 - 96-97
74.0 - 98

IH Penny
------------
14.4 - 85
28.8 - 91
74.0 - 98

Aluminum(?) Good Luck Token
------------
14.4 - 94
28.8 - 97
74.0 - 98

So, what's up with that? Did I get misinformed?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No they are definitely not normalized. I think the misunderstanding came from the fact that there is no ID Norm menu setting (it is grayed out) when you attach an HF coil and since Vers 4.0 has ID Norm on by default, then folks just assumed it was locked at the default setting. But, for sure, it is not ID Normalized and your TID numbers will go way up there when you boost frequency. I am pretty much tuned into the 26 khz numbers now.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No they are definitely not normalized. I think the misunderstanding came from the fact that there is no ID Norm menu setting (it is grayed out) when you attach an HF coil and since Vers 4.0 has ID Norm on by default, then folks just assumed it was locked at the default setting. But, for sure, it is not ID Normalized and your TID numbers will go way up there when you boost frequency. I am pretty much tuned into the 26 khz numbers now.
So, they come out with Version 4 to support the new HF coils. They make ID Norm the default in V4. But they don't make their new coils normalized and don't give us a way to change that.

Is this somehow logical?

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, they come out with Version 4 to support the new HF coils. They make ID Norm the default in V4. But they don't make their new coils normalized and don't give us a way to change that.

Is this somehow logical?

I also just realized today that you cant change TX power with the 9.5" HF. I wonder why they did that?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tx power is locked at 2 across the board with the HF coils. Since the coil is like an antenna it is tuned for specific frequencies. XP probably did not want people boosting power into one of the non-optimized frequencies (e.g., during frequency shift) and causing the coil to overheat due to RF losses. Similarly, XP locks TX power at 3 when operating at 4 khz and whenever you operate frequency shift (i.e, off the nominal frequency for any of the remaining 3 frequencies 8, 12, or 18 khz). It is anyone's guess whether TX power 2 on the HF coils is the same as TX power 2 on the LF coils (or actually corresponds to Tx power 3). The point is, they wanted to lock it down to a single, optimal Tx power value (whatever that actually is) for the wide range HF coil.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Is this somehow logical?

Since I do not care for ID Norm in the first place, yeah, I think it is completely logical. :laughing7: but I know you do not share that opinion with me. Again, for me it is a tone machine, I am listening for that ringing high tone and whether the TID is 94, 96, or 98 doesn't much matter to me. I like how bottlecaps now sound like crap at the high frequencies (especially with some silencer applied) so I do not get fooled by them sounding like quarters anymore, even if I get that intermittent high TID.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since I do not care for ID Norm in the first place, yeah, I think it is completely logical. :laughing7: but I know you do not share that opinion with me. Again, for me it is a tone machine, I am listening for that ringing high tone and whether the TID is 94, 96, or 98 doesn't much matter to me. I like how bottlecaps now sound like crap at the high frequencies (especially with some silencer applied) so I do not get fooled by them sounding like quarters anymore, even if I get that intermittent high TID.

Oh, no... I totally agree with you. I used ID Norm for my first season, but this year have weaned myself (when using the LF coil) so that I could do the 4K shift to ID bottlecaps.

What frequency are you running your HF coil at that helps you ID bottlecaps by sound? Obviously not 14K

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread