Why?

point hunter

Feb 1, 2007
West Monroe, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI 2500
Hi. I have been having a similar problem as you, arkiegold. I can find buried lines with no problem. I learned how to do that as a kid working for a local plumber. Finding gold with a baited rod is giving me trouble. I'm finding that gold and aluminum signals are extremely hard to tell apart. I have dug up more than my share of can slaw and melted cans. Another thing I have discovered, if there is no gold or aluminum buried close by, then the rod is responding to other metals like zinc or copper and last iron. It does make metal detecting easier though. Dowse a signal, finish locating the object with the detector, and then dig it up. I have also found signals that the detector can't pick up. Like you, the signals are there but too deep to find with the detector or a two box. I just assumed I was the only one having this problem or that the item was too deep and/or too small. This is the first time I've seen anyone post here regarding these problems. I would really appreciate input and advice from the more experienced forum members about this.

OP
OP
ArkieGold

ArkieGold

Dec 17, 2008
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 800
Why I believe in dowsing. This marked tree is exactly where Art said I would find a marked tree.

It bites though that I had to dowse for the target and pinpoint it first and then back track to find the tree :D

The snake was barked over almost completely and it's head (top) is pointing the exact direction of the target. Well what I think is the target anyway which remains to be seen.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Hey Dell…ArkieGolds site is one the first map I did on the computer screen so I am excited about it. I didn’t know how it would work. I only tried one map for my personal use and it came out pretty accurate. I am using a program called Microsoft Digital Image Standard to mark maps. I keep trying….Art

OP
OP
ArkieGold

ArkieGold

Dec 17, 2008
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 800
Somehow I think you have got it figured out :wink:

Art say so and so paces in such and such direction from the marked tree. Well like I said this is the target I had to get to in order to determine if there was a marked tree so kinda did it backwards but there is something very peculiar about where I perceive the target to be. This flat rock has been placed obviously with the pointy end sticking up about four inches right on target. Anybody ever seen this type of marker? It sure looks un natural...

I need a deep detecting two box for sure now. So if all this pans out to be a false signal, what, does it mean Art can somehow tell where there are trees with marks? Maybe coincidence I get a target signal with my rods and go the exact opposite direction and distance he gave me and find a marked tree? This sure is getting interesting.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Hey Charlie....JR gets the treasure about 2 feet to the right of the rock. If you have some way
to check for cast iron it would be a plus....Where I am at has dial up so I have not checked my e-mail...Art

OP
OP
ArkieGold

ArkieGold

Dec 17, 2008
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 800
I'm going to check it tomorrow with our magnetic locator that's used for locating valve boxes and such. Any good size metal pot I should be able to pick up several feet deep.

OP
OP
ArkieGold

ArkieGold

Dec 17, 2008
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 800
Why is it never so easy as to just go out and dig it up :D

So i go with the magnetic locator and yes get a good signal all around the rock and start digging where seems to be the strongest. Problem with this wand is the sensitivity and it picks up smaller objects. There was a piece of flattened tin can top at 1.5 feet. i dug about 3 ft and got called by a sick wife. Filled the hole and came home. Rest of the day has been spent looking at PI Loops on the web. Got to get something along these lines...

http://www.had.com/pulse.html

http://www.treasurenow.com/html/MaxiPulse5000.html

Next trip will include a regular shovel rather than the sharp shooter. Something is down there...

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Hey ArkieGold…You have to remember that you are looking for a target that is less than 1 ½ wide at the top…Art

An Ri Rua

Apr 7, 2008
On da money
Detector(s) used
Mermet brass pendulum; Aqua Locator (antique), Luddite Skeptic detector
aarthrj3811 said:
I spent the best part of the last 2 days working on gold maps from Ireland. Gold in Ireland ? yes there is

Looks like we gotta whole lot of gold in Ireland :)

See http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/mhsnqlidojmh/ Mining firm strikes gold in Co Armagh

Prospectors who discovered what is believed to be the biggest untapped gold mine in Ireland or Britain have struck lucky again, they said today.

The exploration company which uncovered the precious metal outside a small village in the Republic of Ireland last year said they have found a larger, higher grade seam several miles over the border in south Armagh.

Share prices in Conroy Diamonds and Gold rocketed after it formally announced the value of the massive deposits at Clay Lake, near Keady, to the London Stock Exchange.

Professor Richard Conroy, the firm’s chairman and a former Irish senator, said there was a lot of work ahead but the mine could be worth hundreds of millions of euro.

“We’re very excited about this, we’re delighted with it. We’ve felt for a long time that there must be something big there,” he said.

Conroy began moving into the North after striking gold in the rural, rolling hills outside Clontibret, Co Monaghan, where it has begun a feasibility study, which could allow mining to begin within two years.

The deposits there were valued last July at up to €570m, but gold prices have soared since then, as it traditionally does in times of economic uncertainty.

Further tests along the border led the exploration company to an area near former lead mines around Derrynoose in the notorious republican heartland, known as Bandit Country during the Troubles.

That a local farmer had discovered a large gold nugget near Clay Lake in the 1980s, which now lies in the Ulster Museum, made the prospectors even more excited and determined.

“By going a bit further north we started to come across quite a bit of gold, but nothing anywhere near as big as what we have come across now in Clay Lake,” said Prof Conroy.

“Clontibret is quite large and there’s more to come, but this is a larger area and, from what we’ve seen, the levels here are about twice of what we discovered in Clontibret.”

The company said there would be a couple of years of slow and painstaking work before it can carry out an economic viability study on the south Armagh mine.

Geologists will now drill down to the bedrock, and see what grades of gold they discover along the seam.

“Then we will get very exact indications of how rich it is,” said Prof. Conroy.

“Until we’ve done the work, like we did at Clontibret, we can’t make exact forecasts but one couldn’t have asked for better at this stage.

“It’s far too early to say how much it will be worth, but on present evidence it is certainly in the same bracket as Clontibret and perhaps more.”

Shares in the exploration company were up by more than 40% after the formal announcement this morning.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread