Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Anyone experiencing play in the shaft?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Can you dig it.

Dec 2016
    NH
    Garrett AT MAX & ProPointer AT------- Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tesoro Mojave, Wilson C&R 4
    654 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Anyone experiencing play in the shaft?

I'm noticing there's some twist in the shaft when swinging or keeping the coil on the ground and twisting the detector. The shaft locks are tight but theres about a 1/4 inch of play each direction til the little button stops the shaft. I can also feel it when swinging. Anyone else? I have a 600.

us
    Dec 2016
    Blountsville, Al
    Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
    671 times
    Metal Detecting
    I have the 800 and have on occasions notice a very slight amount of play, thought that it may be the control box was not tight to the shaft. 1/4" in both directions is a lot of play!
    One never knows what they are going to find until they flip the plug over.

Apr 2018
    7 times
    I did so i swapped it for carbon fiber, no more slop.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    De Tampe Bahia - La Florida
    JW 8X - ML X2
    27227 times
    IF a fiber shaft is not an option etc...

Electrical tape band on inserted shaft... adjust thickness.

OR replace the "button spring clip" with a larger button one.
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - Lurking in The RCT - Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...l-welcome.html

us
    Sep 2012
    D'Iberville MS
    E-Trac Equinox 800 Equinox 600
    713 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    There was problems with the shaft right after the release date. Many sent the detectors back to Minelab to get them fixed. I suggest you call them..
    Phishfindr likes this.

I don't detect for the stuff I find, I detect for the stuff I haven't found.

If I didn't find it I hope you did.

us
    Can you dig it.

Dec 2016
    NH
    Garrett AT MAX & ProPointer AT------- Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tesoro Mojave, Wilson C&R 4
    654 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal2k View Post
    I have the 800 and have on occasions notice a very slight amount of play, thought that it may be the control box was not tight to the shaft. 1/4" in both directions is a lot of play!
    Ok so I'm not the only one

us
    Can you dig it.

Dec 2016
    NH
    654 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I might just improvise with tape for now if minelab asks me to send in the shafts. This is prime detecting weather and I really want to learn the machine. Ive only had it less than a week.

Charter Member
    us
    Make America Great Again!

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave; Lobo Super Traq; Bandido -- Makro Multi Kruzer -- Notka Pinpointer -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger
    17196 times
    Metal Detecting
    Now that I'm 61, I have noticed a little play in the shaft, but my NOX is fine.

us
    Jan 2013
    northern california
    Xp deus 11 inch, 9 inch LF and 9 HF round coil Minelab equinox 800 Killer b wasp headphones Whites prostars garrett carrot Predator ranger shovel Predator raptor hand digger Lesche t handle shovel
    142 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SultansOfSwing View Post
    I might just improvise with tape for now if minelab asks me to send in the shafts. This is prime detecting weather and I really want to learn the machine. Ive only had it less than a week.
    Minelab will have you send the entire unit in for the shaft play fix... headphones and all... give them a email or call.... I have a shaft wobble as well with my 800 but use the tape trick for now because like you it's prime detecting weather... I've had mine since Feb 23rd and from day one it's had a pretty bad wobble... tape trick works for me until I'm ready to send it in for repairs..
    Last edited by jdiggs_treasure; May 14, 2018 at 09:40 PM.

us
    Jan 2007
    Gold Canyon AZ
    ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
    341 times
    The design makes wobble a likely problem. A straight shaft with the control box sticking up at the end of the handle means that on each sweep, at the beginning and end, there is a torque reversal acting through the entire handle/shaft - not only the back and forth whipping action, but rotation induced by the axis of grip/coil mount point being different than the axis of the shaft coil mount line. This will make the usual method of shaft connection - pin and locking collar a stressed failure point. That’s one of the reasons that the expensive aftermarket straigh shafts use a more positive locking system for multi-piece shafts or use one-piece designs.
    Jacza likes this.

us
    Sep 2012
    sd
    xp deus , Equinox 800
    425 times
    Metal Detecting
    Same here on my 800 it is a pain for sure .Not sending it in til winter . Tape works .
    South Dakota motto .....Steak , guns and fur . Don't mess with us .

us
    Can you dig it.

Dec 2016
    NH
    654 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    So those of you using tape, do you mark the shaft where the bottom of the cam locks are then separate the shafts and wrap tape at those marks? Then the tape fills the gap and the locks compress it gettinf rid of the wobble?

us
    Sep 2012
    D'Iberville MS
    E-Trac Equinox 800 Equinox 600
    713 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Terry when you're 73 there is a lot more play in the shaft and Minelab can't fix it.

I just got my 800 back from Minelab a cpl days ago and assembled it right away and the length was wrong so I loosened the cam locks and adjusted the shaft and I forgot tighten the cam locks tight.

Well this morning for some reason I checked the one cam lock and it wasn't tight so I tightened it. I am wondering if in some cases guys never noticed the cam locks weren't tight and used the detector until their shaft was possibly bent or wore from not being tight.. Just a guess..

I don't detect for the stuff I find, I detect for the stuff I haven't found.

If I didn't find it I hope you did.

Apr 2017
    36 times
    No wobble here. Knock on wood. I noticed my bottom shaft has a spiral ridge that runs the entire length, not sure if the early production eq had that or not.
    Phishfindr likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    Take a wild guess! Lol!
    3200 times
    Mine doesn't have that. Interesting.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads