Any bug experts out there?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday the temp hit 78 degrees. I guess the temp got just right and swarms and swarms of these little bugs came out of a stump, zillions from under the mulch, and flew off. It was a great big swarm hatching at once. They don't look like regular termites, something a bit smaller. They don't bite either...

Just wondering if anyone knows exactly what these are.

Bug1.jpg
Bug 2.jpg

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
A gnat sized problem...
I bet they splat like a gnat.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh they are termites all right! Make no mistake about it.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
This is my suggestion for insect control....

Attachments

• flamethrower (Large).jpg
    flamethrower (Large).jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 327
  • flamethrower (Large).jpg
    flamethrower (Large).jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 326

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they are flying ants. A lot of ants swarm just like termites in the spring. Termites have pretty much white wings while ants wings are opaque. Just and educated guess. Monty

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh it's a termite all right!

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everyone for the input, and thanks Jim for the photo. I looked at a couple more pic's we had and the body matches up with the termite.

The only saving grace is that most of them flew north...

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guy In Back said:
Thanks everyone for the input, and thanks Jim for the photo. I looked at a couple more pic's we had and the body matches up with the termite.

The only saving grace is that most of them flew north...

That means nothing.Those were just the swarmers off to start a new colony. Your house my friend is probably infested and if you own it you should get your house treated right away.

Not trying to scare you. Just giving good advice.

Goodyguy~

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodyguy said:
Your house my friend is probably infested and if you own it you should get your house treated right away.
Goodyguy~

Yeah, I do believe that would be the best thing to do. Besides the house burning down, that's about the worst feeling a home owner can have is to see a swarm like that. I have been there too.

DANGLANGLEY

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually the pest control companies will give you a free evaluation looking for mud runs and such around your foundation a sure sign of infestation.

In Florida you are probably on a slab so it's a little harder to find them but a good termite man wont have any trouble.

How far was the stump from your house? Doesn't really matter though they have nests underground and have runs going in all directions.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Goodyguy said:
Those were just the swarmers off to start a new colony. Your house my friend is probably infested and if you own it you should get your house treated right away.

Goodyguy~

The joys of being homeless! The kids grew up and left so we didn't need a house anymore. We live between the sailboat and a 5th wheel with 4 slide outs. Lots of room, but not enough for any of the kids to move back in.

Complete mobility... really ~ REALLY easy to move.

The swarm came out of a stump behind my aluminum abode on wheels. (we are trailer trash) My major problem are the stupid squirrels that keep trying to build a nest under the awning's over the slides outs...

And the barnacles on the bottom of the boat :-0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they're swarming in the house, you got a problem! Most termites come into a home through the foundations. I found that out when I had them in a wall. They went up through a crack in a solid concrete slab! I guess that's why I'm no entomologist, can't tell an ant from a termite! :D M ::) nty

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Guy In Back said:
Goodyguy said:
Those were just the swarmers off to start a new colony. Your house my friend is probably infested and if you own it you should get your house treated right away.

Goodyguy~

The joys of being homeless! The kids grew up and left so we didn't need a house anymore. We live between the sailboat and a 5th wheel with 4 slide outs. Lots of room, but not enough for any of the kids to move back in.

Complete mobility... really ~ REALLY easy to move.

The swarm came out of a stump behind my aluminum abode on wheels. (we are trailer trash) My major problem are the stupid squirrels that keep trying to build a nest under the awning's over the slides outs...

And the barnacles on the bottom of the boat :-0
Barnacles and squirrels, there's a combination problem most of us don't see everyday! Ah the livin' is easy.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodyguy said:
Usually the pest control companies will give you a free evaluation looking for mud runs and such around your foundation a sure sign of infestation.

In Florida you are probably on a slab so it's a little harder to find them but a good termite man wont have any trouble.

How far was the stump from your house? Doesn't really matter though they have nests underground and have runs going in all directions.

Oh so you live in an aluminum home on wheels........Nevermind :tongue3:

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Even an aluminium home on wheels has wood in the walls. Get it checked out.

In-laws had a home with basement up north, fully concreted. Except in the middle of the basement, the stairway from the first floor came down and was cemented BELOW the concrete. Took the termites about 3 years to find that little bit of wood exposed below the concrete. Hardy little buggers.

When I was in third grade, about 135 years ago, my desk was up against the wall. I looked down one day and saw a bunch of creepy bugs on the wooden board running along the floor/wall. I screamed, as most 9 year olds would. Closed down the school! Ha! Termites.

Had them in my grandparent's house. Even came up and ate through the oak flooring in the living room when no one was looking. Had it treated and no more problems.

Pesky little pesks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread