spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Summer in The City", not only was that a popular song when I was going up, but also a reality. Growing up in the city had its advantages and disadvantages, depending how you looked at it. I for one, would never trade in my experience even though I think I would have been tempted for another lifestyle. I guess it boils down to where you were raised and how you grew up and spent your time and the interests you developed. Besides, I was lucky to have my summers in the country, either on family vacation, or at the overnight scout camps.

The one thing about "Summer in The City", it was hotter than the song. Walking on asphalt melting from the sun and feeling the heat being reflected off the ground was grueling. There were no trees to shade us, no lakes or clean rivers to swim in. We had Johnny Pumps (fire hydrants) open them up and cut the ends off a can to spray across the street. The one beach I had near me was about 90 minutes away after 2 bus rides.

The city did offer one thing the country folk never had, and that is tar beach. You haven't lived until you spent a day with friends at tar beach. I wonder how many of you out there have appreciated a good day at tar beach?

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure what a "Tar Beach" is but in a suburb of Los Angeles I left tracks in the tar on the roads with my bare feet back in the late 1950s.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
greydigger said:
Not sure what a "Tar Beach" is but in a suburb of Los Angeles I left tracks in the tar on the roads with my bare feet back in the late 1950s.

I am just waiting to see if anyone knows were tar beach is, besides me :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread