spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now this is a very broad and open topic and can cover any type of event. Your stories can range from a historical event, to an everyday happening.

Examples
Historical: Anything newsworthy, including assassinations, 1st moon lading, terror attacks, etc...
Everyday: Being left behind, or just missing an important meeting, or other event.
i.e. Where were you? This guy was giving out free $100 bills - or -
We waited 2 hours for you to show

Get creative, or be real... The choice is yours ;D

My 1st is historical and it was the summer of "69"

1969 was a year I will never forget and some much happened withing the course of a month. I was a counselor in TMR Scout camps for all 3 of the following events. We had the Manson murders, man landing on the moon, and of course Woodstock :headbang: Well I can say that I remember listening to the first 2 stories on the radio and it was much of the talk of the day. As for Woodstock, well, I was lucky enough to attend the first day for a few hours before I had to walk back to the camp.

Your turn.......

S

stefen

Started life as a little squirt and have now lived thru many happenings in this climatic world...

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Let's start young;
(1)got called in to listen about Pearl Harbor being attacked on the radio.
(2)Couple of near misses in the Air Force while flying.Ordered to bail out once.(didn't do it)
(3)In bed a few hours when wife woke me up to listen and watch about JFK assination.Called my cousin who lived just a few blocks from the theater where they got Oswald.He had already gone up there.
(4)Got disoriented in the Maine north woods while deer hunting.Just before dark I came across an old trapper and cabin who put me on the trail.Got back to the road about 2 hours after dark.Buddies were getting a search party together.
(5)Over saw the repair of the USS Stark(hit by missle) and of the repair of the USS Cole(terrorist attack).

That's enough for now,won't get into the gory stuff here.

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
On Nov 22, 1963 I was 3 years old and my mother had to take me by bus to the doctor to have a raisin removed from my left nostril. When we returned around 3PM in the afternoon my Aunt Betty who lived next door came running to the fence and announced that "president Kennedy had been shot".

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can still remember when Mt Saint Helen's blew, May 18, 1981, it was the day before my 17th birthday. My dad had taken my little sister and I camping in Ocean Shores. There was ash everywhere, and no place to park when we got home, as there were cars up and down our street and in our yard. My mom charged 5.00 a car to use our yard, since you could see the mountain from our house!

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rooter, thanks for you input
warsawdaddy, loved seeing your stories, one from column A and one from column B

For the JFK assassination I was in class, in grade school. An announcement was made that the president was shot and school was dismissed immediately. I was too young to fully understand the importance of this moment at the time, I was happy that school ended early that day. It wasn't until I got home and saw my mother crying did I realize something terrible had happened. I guess as a kid we just viewed the world though the innocent eyes of a babe.

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
Same here, I was only 3 and I remember being mad that there were no cartoons on TV. Little did I know how the world had changed.

Was the input referring to the raisin in my nose? :laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few come to mind... Was at a bar for the Atlanta Olympic bombing, talked to my friend Marcel. Watched the OJ chase with my girlfriend after a day at the mall. Seen the verdict with my soon to be roommate and his two female roommates who were unfortunately moving out. Was at a bar when Joe Carter won the World Series for the Jays... I remember that because I said "if he hits it out they win!" and he did! I was at a bar the Night Princess Diana died, met a blond who I went out with one a short time later, she had three kids, I kept on truckin. :D

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
A few come to mind... Was at a bar for the Atlanta Olympic bombing, talked to my friend Marcel. Watched the OJ chase with my girlfriend after a day at the mall. Seen the verdict with my soon to be roommate and his two female roommates who were unfortunately moving out. Was at a bar when Joe Carter won the World Series for the Jays... I remember that because I said "if he hits it out they win!" and he did! I was at a bar the Night Princess Diana died, met a blond who I went out with one a short time later, she had three kids, I kept on truckin. :D

Is that you Norm??? :laughing9:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
Iron Patch said:

Is that you Norm??? :laughing9:

Now that I don't go to the bar much I have no guideline to remember things! :wink:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was at the Hospital when I was born.

Was at home on the couch trying to stay awake
Because my sister said The Beatles were so great
& were going to be on Ed sullivan.
Went to bed right after I saw & heard them.

Was at home Faking sick on seveal occasions
where I Knew there were Tests or other Lame
things we were supposed to do in school.

Was up front of the stage for
Golden Earring & For emerson Lake & Palmer.
when they came out & Played.

Was in Long Island at the Coloseum Parking lot for Pink Floyd
When
some dead heads from California pulled up & asked us how to get Greatfull dead tickets.

Was at the Bar when I heard Everyone was worried about
Three Mile Island Melting Down.
after I stopped Laughing I went over to the door
and started working.

Was out detecting when the twin towers come Tumbling down.
was a good day detecting Got a gold ring :headbang:

Was mowing my Grass earlier When I decided to finish
it another day.

Was sitting here typing this when I decided I Need
a Break so I guess I'll hit Post

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I was standing outside at nite under a Japanese maple tree when i heard on the radio that Japan had surrendered.
Was pulling up in Bell Labs parking lot when I heard that Kennedy had been shot.
I pulled in late with my wife at a small motel out west. they had one room left with a 27" B/W crosley TV. W watched the first great step on the moon. I was mad because the set was B/W only to discover later that it was a B/W transmission.
In a past life long ago I was a goat hearder on top of a great hill overlooking a narrow pass. A very large army was battling this small, but extremely brave force. They fought fought to the last man standing fell,Spartacus! (^_~)

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the WTC was struck I was having an everything bagel and a cup of coffee at my desk when someone mentioned the first plane. Got a live feed from MSN and saw the actual 2nd hit, it looked so surreal. I just counted my blessing's because I was supposed to make sales calls in lower Manhattan that day and the day before our sales manager wanted us all in for a special meeting. I would have either been in the city for a few minutes before, or arriving around the time of the first strike. Not that anything would have happened either way in my case, but I would have had no way home for the remainder of that week.. All bridges, tunnels and trains ceased running.

What was most eerie is that we were able to see the plumes of smoke from our parking lot and for the remainder of that day and the full week nearly complete silence in the air. The only sounds that would follow were those of fighters patrolling the airspace during the day.

And if I really think back far I remember standing at the pass of Thermopylae looking up and spying a goat herder. It was then it dawned on me, "I made a bad career choice".

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Spart It was then it dawned on you memories of that old saying " Discression is the better part of valor!!

dpitt8

May 2, 2008
wa
9/11....finding out that my 20th bday would totally be overshadowed by that event.....such a crappy 20th bday I had....

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was asleep when my (now ex) wife ran into the room crying and screaming "We're being attacked! Oh my God!"
I didn't know what the heck she was talking about but she turned on the TV to see the first tower burning. I was about to say "Aw, now honey we're not being..." when BAM! I could clearly see the second plane slam into the building. I knew then that life as we knew it had changed in an instant.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was in class when Kennedy was shot they turned the radio on.
Snuck on hands and knees into the living rm (so sitter wouldn't see) an saw the Beatles.
At a friends when Reagan was shot.
Just had got to moms and sat down when Challenger blew up !
Had just arrived at where I was babysitting and found out something at happened down in the city. turned on their Tv it was the Murrah Building (OKC bombing).
And 9/11 was watching GMA and just sat an watched could not beleive what was on. And finding out about people we knew there 1 was at work in #4 or 5 tower which ever one it was that came down later that day.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at home when I was born, no hospital. That Bay of Pigs thing was pretty scary to live through. I didn't know Woodstock happened til it was over. Right after the Murrah building got blown up in OKC I was on the phone trying to get ahold of my friend who worked up there in that area. The coolest thing was the first moon landing. I was camping with my grandparents on Lake Eufala. The moon was full that night and we watched it while listening to it on the radio in the pick-up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread