spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is best about this walk down memory lane is remembering what had a greater impact in our lives. Take warsawdaddy, chug and red for examples. For me the attack on the Cole and the eruption of Mt St Helen were just news stories of far away places and had no direct impact. Yes, I remember the events, but I couldn't tell you where I was, or what I was doing at the time. I would have mentioned Frankn and the surrendering of Japan, but I was just a gleam in my father's eye at the time :laughing7:

It's interesting to see how one event can affect everyone differently.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was driving to work, I had just got off the DC Belltway and Tony Kornhieser has mention a Cesna had crashed into the WTC. I stopped at a RadioShack downstairs from my office just in time to see the second plane crash.

My immediate thought was "somthing is wrong with the radar at JFK." Then I went upstairs and started listening to the radio. It took me 3 hours to get home. I can still see the signs that read "Major Incident Avoid Downtown DC"

My aunt was on a plane at Reagan National in DC and saw the plane crash into the Pentagon. The only instructions they gave her were " we are taking you back to the terminal, the airport is closed."

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody remember Dr. Jack Kevorkian?

Well I have an experience from his heyday.

I lived in Oakland County MI so did he. I was living with my mother, helping her pay some bills. Well she didn't like me smoking or drinking, so I had to other places.

One of those places was "State Land." This is about 10,000-20,000 acres of land owned by the State of MI used for hunting and other outdoor activities. Scattered along dirt roads are parking lots that will accomodate 2 to 20 cars.

I was sitting in one of the 20 car lots about 2am one nite enjoying a 6 pack and some Marlboro lights. Well I notice a VW van across the lot rocking a little. I figure somebody is gettin' lucky so I don't bother them. I leave around 3am.

I wake up around noon and my mother say "ole Dr Death got another one last night. This time in our back yard." I take a look at the news on tv and start freaking out because he was the one in the VW van in the parking lot at 2am.

Really kinda scary.

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Over the past 79 years,I believe I have seen it all. So many occurrences and trying to remember where I was or what I was doing, boggels the mind. one more assignation might do it. Bob

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Piercesdad said:
I was sitting in one of the 20 car lots about 2am one nite enjoying a 6 pack and some Marlboro lights. Well I notice a VW van across the lot rocking a little. I figure somebody is gettin' lucky so I don't bother them. I leave around 3am.

I wake up around noon and my mother say "ole Dr Death got another one last night. This time in our back yard." I take a look at the news on tv and start freaking out because he was the one in the VW van in the parking lot at 2am.

Really kinda scary.

Know that's a little too close to the story for my liking and I think I would remember that as well.

Funny, but your story brings me back to the summers of 76-77 with the Son of Sam in NYC. This fruit loop had the whole city in fear wondering where he would strike next. Even the headlines of the papers were about him several times a month. I can't forget "Mafia Vows to Hunt Down 44. Cal Killer"

What was most surprising was that he lived maybe 35-40 minutes away from me. Again, a little too close in the comfort zone for me. I do remember hearing his capture on the news at home, and had a sigh of relief. It meant that going clubbing was once again going to be more fun :headbang:

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a natl' known thing but a one time killer here was hanging out at a daycare I was working at. He was accused of rape didn't know who he was at the time then he was threatening the victim and found out he was around then the killing.... so his friend asked him not to come to the DC. then some other coincidence that I was around or just before or just after and played with his helper when she was little all very strange!

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
" And if I really think back far I remember standing at the pass of Thermopylae looking up and spying a goat herder. It was then it dawned on me, "I made a bad career choice"."

It was then that you realised being Leonidas,king of the Spartans was a bad career choice and ran off to be a gladiator in Rome!

...Or am missing something here? :laughing9: :tongue3:

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in the Army (basic training) when the blockade of Cuba started, we will never know how close we came to a Nuclear war.
We were on an Army bus coming back from a two week training mission when we heard of Kennedy's death, it changed all our lives that day, we were in (The Old Guard) at Ft. Myer Va, & therefore were responsible for his funeral & we guarded his grave for months afterward.
Our outfit marched in President Johnsons Inagural parade, plus General Macarthurs funeral procession, & they buried President Hoover while I was home on leave.

Fossis...........

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The day after Martin Luther King was killed, arrived by Greyhound to the bus station in downtown Washington, D.C. Not a good place to be. I still have some color slides I took on 14th Street about 3 days later; after the fires were put out.

1969---Bien Hoa, RVN, just got off duty and was in squadron bar drinking beer and watching live feed of moon landing.

Early 1970---Stationed at USAF base at Duluth International Airport, Minnesota. We went on full alert and had to load out every F-106 that could fly with full weapons, including Genie missiles. Stayed on full alert for 24 hours. Found out later that the Chinese had launched their first ICBM and the US was just being ready by putting all US military in the world on some alert level above "laid back" :laughing7:

1986-ish-----Witnessed the largest Russian Naval exercise in history, from 29,000 feet over the far North Atlantic. Our AWACS plane came out of warp; the pilot saw the ships through a hole in the cloud deck; then put us BACK into warp and we got the hell out of dodge. Stupid ground commander had vectored us there. We got back to Iceland in one piece and he got FIRED. :hello2:

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember seeing my Mom cry on Nov. 22, 1963;

I woke up on my Birthday, June 6, 1968, and hearing that Bobby Kennedy had been assassinated overnight;

I was working in a nursing home in Wichita, KS as a Dept. Head of Maintenance when I happened by a TV and saw the breaking news about the Oklahoma City bombing;

I was building an outside patio/deck covering for a retired Judge in Lawrence, KS when the news came on about Columbine;

I was working construction, building my Boss's house, in Eudora, KS when the radio we were listening to broke the news of Sept. 11. My Boss was in California at the time, and, being the site Manager, I called work off for the rest of the day. I went home and actually saw the second plane hit...

Man,
Since 1959, I WAS there SOMEWHERE!
I've felt the pain, the aura, and the mood of the nation in these "historic" times; they still sometimes haunt me of the inhumanity that some will perpetuate against their fellow humans...

Sleep Well Tonight Friends,

Scott

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quote:(Fossis)
I was in the Army (basic training) when the blockade of Cuba started, we will never know how close we came to a Nuclear war.

OMG!
Alright, Everyone here who remembers, "Duck! And Cover!" please raise your hands... :hello2:

Scott

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack, as a Vet, I must thank you for my belly laugh for today!

Quote:(Shortstack)
Early 1970---Stationed at USAF base at Duluth International Airport, Minnesota. We went on full alert and had to load out every F-106 that could fly with full weapons, including Genie missiles. Stayed on full alert for 24 hours. Found out later that the Chinese had launched their first ICBM and the US was just being ready by putting all US military in the world on some alert level above "laid back"

Thanks, Brother!

Scott

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spartacus my Friend,
Thank you for a great Thread! :headbang:

I think that this is a great way to see who was where when...

Thanks Bro! :icon_thumright:

Best,
Scott

PS. Just TRY to get 4 pages out of it! :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AU24K said:
OMG!
Alright, Everyone here who remembers, "Duck! And Cover!" please raise your hands... :hello2:

Scott

yea I rememer it.

I don't remember ever having to do it.
think it may have stopped before I went to school
or I Blocked it.

Removed the rest of my comment to keep this on topic :tongue3:

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember being told thats what to do but, the only time we did was for practice an we did the same drill in grade school for tornados.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AU24K said:
Spartacus my Friend,
Thank you for a great Thread! :headbang:

I think that this is a great way to see who was where when...

First and most importantly, don't thank me, thanks Dano who put some ideas in my head. :laughing7: :laughing7: :headbang:

It is amazing how some are right in the middle of an event, and others on the sidelines are still deeply effected. Secondly, other great part is that someone's story here will jog you memory about other events that have an impact in your life. The final reason, just trying to think is a good thing for that gray matter.

I have also noticed that we had 2 birthdays one covering each Kennedy. Let me add one more, but from a noted entertainer. On December 8, 1980 I had been talking to my sister wishing her a happy birthday, maybe an hour later, our local programming was interrupted with the new of John Lennon's murder. I know this happened late in the evening and the news had a live feed, there were already several hundred mourners by his house.

Also had to love the big "Red" scare in the 60's. Although I really had no clue why they put us through the paces of hiding under our desk in case of the "big one". I was already aware of Hiroshima and had seen the pictures, I surely doubt that desktop was the answer :laughing7: I still loved getting a break from the classwork though, so teacher's, "Thank you" :icon_thumleft:

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep always knew if it happened a desk was not protection. We went in the hall and put our heads in our laps. which was not going to help in a tornado either! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread