Herbal Folk Remedy

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Was reading on Jeffs case of Poison Ivy and thought it would be fun to have a Herbal Folk Remedy thread. I gather and use alot of herbs ,for different ailments and health. Some have been passed down through the generations ,and some are newer versions that I have experiented with. Would like to hear other herbal cures from TN members.

Poison Ivy
The juice from the stem of Jewelweed are used to cure poison ivy and other plant induced rashes, as well as many other types of dermatitis
Jewelweed works by counter-reacting with the chemicals in other plants that cause irritation. Poultices and salves from Jewelweed are a folk remedy for bruises, burns, cuts, eczema, insect bites, sores, sprains, warts, and ringworm.
Jewelweed blooms May through October in the eastern part of North America from Southern Canada to the northern part of Florida. It is found most often in moist woods, usually near poison ivy or stinging nettle. Jewelweed often grows on the edge of river or creek beds.

When you have been exposed to poison ivy, oak, or stinging nettle you can reach for the jewelweed plant and slice the stem, then rub its juicy inside on exposed parts. This will promptly ease irritation and usually prevents breakout for most people.

Jewelweed or an infusion made from boiling leaves of Impatiens capensis may be frozen for later use. Brew chopped jewelweed in boiling water until you get a dark orange liquid. Yellow Jewelweed will not yield orange color and may not be effective. Strain the liquid and pour into ice cube trays. Its better to then remove icecubes and place in a Ziplock baggie and label it ,returning to freezer.When you have a skin rash, rub it with a cube. It will keep in freezer up to a year.
It does not dry well due to its high moisture and oil content. Do not make alcoholic tinctures from Jewelweed because some people have had a bad reaction using jewelweed with alcohol.

Attachments

• Jewelweed.jpg
    Jewelweed.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 310

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
Wow, thanks, Gypsy! I have Jewelweed EVERYWHERE in my yard (it likes damp soil), and I'm always getting poison ivy at the farm. I got it in brush scrapes on my shins right before our wedding- good thing I was wearing those long socks with my Kilt, because my shins were purple.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a serious upper respiratory infection, I used two onions, two fists of garlic, one red pepper, sautee these in some olive oil and eat 'em all gone. The next morning, I felt 100% better.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My son, who had moderate...sometimes severe asthma, used to drink a couple of teaspoons of red hot sauce before he went to bed everynight. I didn't realize until I read it later, that he was self-medicating himself. Spicy foods opens up your airways. :P

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Sore throat remedy:

This sounds goofy,but it really works.
If your tonsils are swollen to the point of infection, take hot water and add Cayenne pepper to it....about 1/4 teaspoon in a 1/4 cup of water .....then gargle with it. I know it sounds like its going to burn...but it wont......the infection will go right out.
Then after gargling....take 1 teaspoon of honey.
My daughters are prone to tonsillitis and it works immediately.

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Great idea for a thread, Gypsy. I hope it takes off with the from nature direct route like your Jewelweed recipe.
I am not an off the shelf product user or promoter,but from the field and forest many medicinal herbs have great health benefits. A few years ago I began researching non-hallucingenic wild mushrooms and one of particular interest was a "conk" (fairly common growing on dead trees and logs) called locally Red-Belted conk. I harvested these, cut them into wafers and dehydrated them. We then used them in a tea and drank at least one cup a day for the six winter months. It worked for me as a blood thinner and reduced my high pressure down to the good zone. Also is purported to be a immune system enhancer. Don't want to make this too long but anyone interested can research under Ganoderma for more information.
S.S.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Paul is Dead said:
What about blood letting?!! Let's not forget those leaches!!! :o ::) ::)

L Y
:P :P :P :P :P :P
Dont forget the coven circle and sacrificed male either! Any volunteers?

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
[/quote]
:P :P :P :P :P :P
Dont forget the coven circle and sacrificed male either! Any volunteers?

[/quote]

Don't Rush Me ! I'm thinkin' about it !

Diggem'

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsy what would you prescribe for an absessed tooth until someone could get to a dentist?

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
First ...take very warm water ....about a half a cup and then add about 1 tbls of salt....take a swig and hold it in for a few moments ...gently swishing ...then spit....the salt will draw out some of the infection....Does it hurt?

You can take a clove and smash it and then apply to it...or oil of clove.....but an abcessed tooth isnt something to mess with...so many other things can lead from it ...so get in as soon as possible.....

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice........and interesting! I will take one of those potions, Do you have any recommendations! hmmmmm! :o :o

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gypsyheart said:
First ...take very warm water ....about a half a cup and then add about 1 tbls of salt....take a swig and hold it in for a few moments ...gently swishing ...then spit....the salt will draw out some of the infection....Does it hurt?

You can take a clove and smash it and then apply to it...or oil of clove.....but an abcessed tooth isnt something to mess with...so many other things can lead from it ...so get in as soon as possible.....
Actually it isnt me it's a friend of mine who has a bad one....His face has swollen...He said he couldnt get into the dentist until tomorrow...Thanks I will relay....I had told him hot water and salt though...

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paul is Dead said:
A string and a door knob with a good slam!!!

Or if you want herbal, oil of clove may remove pain............................Is it SAFE?
Hey Paul is Dead.....I really do wish I knew who you are STILL.......Sorry....I just had to throw that in cause I know youre here!

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
yes its safe...people have used cloves for tooth pain for along time...just dont overdue it...1 or 2

The slamming door part is not safe....

....and then again a good swig of brandy will always take the pain away

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
151 RUM........Now that will curl the gums.... ;)

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The Seeker said:
Very nice........and interesting! I will take one of those potions, Do you have any recommendations! hmmmmm! :o :o
Dear Seeker
What kind of ailment do you have?
Medicine Woman aka Gypsy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread