Anything special or Chinese junk?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what I bought this weekend I don't know why I probably wasted five dollars. I guess because pickings are slim so I bought a Chinese Dragon. It's about 14 inches long porcelain it looks like. And the markings are in Chinese as well! So do you all think I wasted my money? Lol. Thanks. image-304486224.jpg image-3532416597.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some days you just need throw in the hat and go home empty handed. I think it looks like a tiger more then a dragon.

Last edited:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks pretty modern with the perfectly round air hole in the bottom. put it on ebay and test the waters. who knows that artist may be famous.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks pretty modern with the perfectly round air hole in the bottom. put it on ebay and test the waters. who knows that artist may be famous.

I agree. Definitely don't disregard it. It is often very hard to distinguish good Chinese porcelain from junk. I would try to ID the glaze and the mark with some quick online research.

If you don't want to spend the time at least do as Diggumup suggested and try an auction.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. Definitely don't disregard it. It is often very hard to distinguish good Chinese porcelain from junk. I would try to ID the glaze and the mark with some quick online research. If you don't want to spend the time at least do as Diggumup suggested and try an auction.

Alright thanks, I'll give it a shot. Really the only thing that drew me to it, it didn't say made in China! Not sure if that's a big deal or not. But I'm use to the words... I'll post back what it goes for. Maybe list it as rare!! I'm sure if it's not, someone always seems to email me saying its a repo or something.

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Chinese reads 杨镇行制:yangzhen xingzhi. It's in simplified form the translation is: "made in yang county" which is in Beijing. However, 杨 yang is also a person's last name so it could be made by yangzhen 杨镇 (the person's name) but doing a quick search on baidu didn't come up with an artist name yangzhen who creates asian art like this one (only found a photographer and a musician).

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
The Chinese reads 杨镇行制:yangzhen xingzhi. It's in simplified form the translation is: "made in yang county" which is in Beijing. However, 杨 yang is also a person's last name so it could be made by yangzhen 杨镇 (the person's name) but doing a quick search on baidu didn't come up with an artist name yangzhen who creates asian art like this one (only found a photographer and a musician).

Just wanted to say Yang Hao you are a very good addition to this forum. I've seen a few posts now that you have interpreted and helped out users. Thanks for your contributions.

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You, I'm enjoying reading the many posts on this site and hope to help out more in the future.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You, I'm enjoying reading the many posts on this site and hope to help out more in the future.

I see you found it. There was a couple that came through my yard sale in this little old man picked that statue up and said something in his language and pretty much hugged the statue. So I guess he was happy to have it!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Some days you just need throw in the hat and go home empty handed. I think it looks like a tiger more then a dragon.

Agree 100%

One of the best lessons I have learned. Don't buy crap just to buy crap. Otherwise you are just wasting money and 1 step closer to being a hoarder.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree 100%

One of the best lessons I have learned. Don't buy crap just to buy crap. Otherwise you are just wasting money and 1 step closer to being a hoarder.
One man's "crap" is another man's treasure or maybe "Crap" is in the eye of the beholder. Life is a gamble, sometimes it pays to roll the dice. You may not always win, but at least you can die happy knowing that you gave it one hell of a try. Sitting on the sidelines is not the same as playing the game.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What intrigues me about the piece is the mark. I can't recall seem an embossed mark like that before. The glaze is also unusual. I think it is worth researching. My hunch tells me it is better than junk.

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright thanks, I'll give it a shot. Really the only thing that drew me to it, it didn't say made in China! Not sure if that's a big deal or not. But I'm use to the words... I'll post back what it goes for. Maybe list it as rare!! I'm sure if it's not, someone always seems to email me saying its a repo or something.

I did the same thing, didn't say china, but since then i've seen more of em.

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see you found it. There was a couple that came through my yard sale in this little old man picked that statue up and said something in his language and pretty much hugged the statue. So I guess he was happy to have it!

Was the couple chinese? If the old man was Chinese he could be from the Yang county and that was made in his hometown (something he can show to others). Or his last name is Yang and he was happy to see an item made by another "Yang". Or maybe he was born in the year of the tiger and was looking for a piece like that.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was the couple chinese? If the old man was Chinese he could be from the Yang county and that was made in his hometown (something he can show to others). Or his last name is Yang and he was happy to see an item made by another "Yang". Or maybe he was born in the year of the tiger and was looking for a piece like that.

Yeah he was. He just smiled and said thank you thank you thank you!

I got something else today to since you're around and I'm pretty sure it's Chinese as well since it has some dragons on it I don't know if it's old or not.

image-2712817500.jpg

image-4066027277.jpg

image-109735206.jpg

image-4228972877.jpg

image-773068776.jpg

image-924626684.jpg

It's really hard to read the markings underneath it. So it might just be some import but it feels like it's almost cast-iron but I don't think it is?

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The characters underneath are difficult to read. All I can make out is a style which I believe to be 大篆 da zhuan (if it is chinese because sometimes it is difficult to tell). That was a style of writing used by the zhou dynasty between 1100 to 300 BC. It would make sense to use that style of writing underneath the item because the item is metal and that style of writing was used during China's Bronze age. It does look old but I couldn't tell you how old. I do know it's not from the bronze age :-). It's a beautiful piece. Kind of reminds me of the things I saw at the Summer Palace in Beijing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much. I'm going to add another picture but it's going to be upside down. I think I have no idea what ways up or down. The third symbol is showing up pretty good now. Before I think there was too much glare.

image-2846465105.jpg

image-1420858489.jpg

image-679757191.jpg

It's pretty heavy, 2 pounds 4.4 ounces. 6"x2".
I couldn't even imagine if this was as old as 1100 to 300 BC. Finding something like that at a yard sale just blows my mind. I have no idea where to even take it either. There are a couple places in town from dealing with them in the past they're going to tell me it is 20 years old and worth $15 which it may be. But I really have no idea.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought just for the heck of it I would test it. It's testing for a low-grade silver it appears. The test to the left is 800 Silver the one on the right is the Dragon bowl.

image-573781250.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread