Weekend finds and returning a momento

Grundestoun

Dec 16, 2010
Idaho
Detector(s) used
coinmaster 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a pair of pearl earrings with 14k posts, a sterling silver earring and necklace set, and a sterling silver pendant by Lenox. But my best treasure I found was a funeral card for A man who died in 1889. I paid $1 for it. I am an avid family history buff so I decided I would try to see if I could find him on find a grave . When I got home I got on the computer and looked for him. I didn't take long to find him. There was a photo of his head stone with the exact information from the card on it. I posted a photo of the card on his memorial and left o message for the person who is maintaining the memorial to see if they were a descendant. With in the hour I had a response from the person and she is the great great grand daughter of the man. She saw the photo of the card and asked about it. I told her that I had just found it and that I would be happy to give it to her. She was really happy to be able to have his funeral card and sent me her address right away. So tomorrow it will be on its way to someone who will really cherish it. The real treasure was being able to give a part of someone's family history to them. That's better to me than any silver or gold.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's so wonderful a person like you came along and found that and did what you did.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Cool story!!!!

I bought a box of handwritten letters and family photographs a few years ago. I strongly suspect that box had been lost in a storage unit foreclosure, and then resold at an auction barn that I frequent. I tracked the family down...talk about a WEIRD situation! I just wanted to return a large box of pics to the rightful owners, including hundreds of baby and school pictures of their kids.

So, after about 6 phone calls, back and forth, the dude shows up with his wife at the local McD's where we planned to meet. I was happy-go-lucky, but this dude shows up in full testosterone mode, telling 10,000 lies, and almost denying that the pictures were his...and then the dude's wife starts sobbing uncontrollably while looking at the pictures.

Instead of just being honest and telling me "times got tough, and we lost our storage unit", this guy tried to concoct a big story, which none of it made sense, and the lies started crossing one another. In fact, the dude acted like I owed it to him to return them, as if I had stolen them from his family.

The whole ordeal was W=E=I=R=D.

And not one time did either of them say 'thank you' or offer to buy a cup of coffee for my kindness or time....nothing.

OP
OP
Grundestoun

Grundestoun

Dec 16, 2010
Idaho
Detector(s) used
coinmaster 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice gesture on your part. I tried something similar with a grave marker but didn't get too far in reaching any live family members. Here is that thread- http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/309470-i-think-s-grave-marker-maybe.html

You could post the photo on find a grave.

Here is his memorial.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...1936&GSdyrel=in&GSob=n&GRid=103414239&df=all&

His father was Bert Carter and his mother was Stella Phillips Carter. His mother died four years later and is buried in the same cemetery. His father must have gotten remarried and moved away.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yard_sale.gif
OUTSTANDING - very very nice of you. Thanks for sharing...

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could post the photo on find a grave.

Here is his memorial.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...1936&GSdyrel=in&GSob=n&GRid=103414239&df=all&

His father was Bert Carter and his mother was Stella Phillips Carter. His mother died four years later and is buried in the same cemetery. His father must have gotten remarried and moved away.
Yeah, he wasn't listed before I started my search. That is how he got listed, because of it. I think posting a photo of the plaque is a good idea. The strange thing is that the company that made the marker didn't come into existence until 1944, a full 8 years after his death. So someone must have thought enough of him back then to have it made. His mom passed 3 years after he did so it wasn't her. The site is down at the moment but I will try to put that photo up when I can.

Sorry for the hijack.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Cool story!!!!

I bought a box of handwritten letters and family photographs a few years ago. I strongly suspect that box had been lost in a storage unit foreclosure, and then resold at an auction barn that I frequent. I tracked the family down...talk about a WEIRD situation! I just wanted to return a large box of pics to the rightful owners, including hundreds of baby and school pictures of their kids.

So, after about 6 phone calls, back and forth, the dude shows up with his wife at the local McD's where we planned to meet. I was happy-go-lucky, but this dude shows up in full testosterone mode, telling 10,000 lies, and almost denying that the pictures were his...and then the dude's wife starts sobbing uncontrollably while looking at the pictures.

Instead of just being honest and telling me "times got tough, and we lost our storage unit", this guy tried to concoct a big story, which none of it made sense, and the lies started crossing one another. In fact, the dude acted like I owed it to him to return them, as if I had stolen them from his family.

And not one time did either of them say 'thank you' or offer to buy a cup of coffee for my kindness or time....nothing.

As you know, no good deed goes unpunished!

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool story!!!!

No good deed goes unpunished. It has happened to me also, and it might happen again, because I'd still return something like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread