one last try for the 5x8 DD on the atp.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None of your posts helped the op, it just seemed to me you had an agenda. If so start your own thread I imagine it would be quite popular.
Thanx for the advice..now go dig some bottle caps like a good little boy

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
249831_326961770741482_1687970579_n.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets follow our rules and stop attacking and insulting members....

OP
OP
A

Adamsr0522

Dec 30, 2012
Cohoes NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and 350,BH Tracker IV and now the Garrett AT Pro and White's VX3.
As the OP please let me apologize for this thread. I thought we were all adults here. Apparently at least one of us has snuck into the computer room to troll on legit forum posts.
As for the BH tracker 4 or any other bh unit. I started with and still have a T4. I love it. But the atp is hands down a better unit.
As for the 5x8 coil. I'm back to using the stock. Thanks to all that offered advice.

Sent from my Galaxy note 2 using TreasureNet

relish

Mar 28, 2013
Staten Island NY
Detector(s) used
ATPRO......Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try slowing down with the 5X8......it's so light you may not really hear what your are missing......also test...test...test! I started using the 5x8 when I found the stock coil a bit too front heavy.......I haven't been back to the stock coil ever since.....but I will give it a go when the beaches open up here in NYC. The 5x8 has produced really great for me.......last 7 outings....28 wheaties....5 silver....1 gold pendant....all this in a really hammered spot.....!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to think the same thing until i started watching what my friends junk bag would look like at the end of the day..the bounty hunter sharpshooter my friend uses kicks my butt id be suprised if he dug 5 bottle caps the entire summer last year...my friends se pro same thing not a peep over a bottle cap while mine is screaming quarter dime...so just keep telling yourself its part of detecting
The reason the Bounty Hunter is missing the bottle caps is it is already tuned at the factory to do so. I know I own one and it will keep up with my expensive F75 in the park. Dusty is right to say the find ratio is where you know if your doing it right or not. Turn it down, choke it a lil bit, and then run it hard for the day. Next hunt tweak it again to another setting. If you find a bottle cap you know its working, if you find a lot of bottle caps you know its still working lol.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I reading this correctly, that the Minelab explorer SE Pro and CTX 3030 can see the difference between a pull tab or crown cap and a coin or gold?
I don't know about the Minelab, but a fisher F75 can. Dig dimes with pull tabs and bottle caps in same hole all the time. But does anyone ever listen to me noooooo.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread has detoured from the op and his issue, dustytrail basically stepped in and turned it into a complaint thread. I apologize for attempting to correct him. Anyone who doesn't have say 60+ hours minimum in the at pro have no business chiming in to offer advice or making unjust claims about this or any other machine, the computer between the ears has a lot to do with the learning curve and proficiency with any machine, this may explain the issues with the thread hyjackers machine and skill set using the at pro, it just may be beyond him.
So I am to understand this is a AT Pro only thread, no input needed or wanted from other users, no matter the expertise? The AT guys can talk about other detectors, but folks with those detector cant respond? What flippin country you live in Jack. Use the big muscle between your ears. Dusty is stating a fact, a flaw in the Garret programing. When a Bounty Hunter can disc a bottle cap and AT cant, what is your point? The 5x8 coil seems to be a challenge and I would like to see how the problem is fixed or it really can swim with out help? Hey Dusty, how many bounty hunters can you buy with one AT Pro lol. Non, bottle caps are worth nothing lol. Seriously, personal attacks on everyone without a AT Pro because you seen it on TV and bought one is just wrong. Tell me Im wrong, go ahead, tell me you don't say Boom Baby....come on.

OP
OP
A

Adamsr0522

Dec 30, 2012
Cohoes NY
Detector(s) used
As mentioned I also own a bounty hunter Tracker 4 and I love it.
I do agree with Dusty that the BH can more easily disc out unwanted metals. That's not the debate here. My original post was simply asking for help learning the language of the ATP with the 5x8 coil specifically.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP, we all know that bottle caps are made of steel and they are usually painted with a metalic paint containing aluminum dust and that is why they can give of a good signal. There is a way to tell them apart. Try planting some new and old dug up bottle caps in your test garden and of course some coins. water the garden and pack it down, let it set up for at least a week to alow the metal to oxidize in the soil abit. Now go and check it out, listen closely and you will hear the deferences. Don't for get to use iron audeo on and off.
The small coil I find is best used slowly and for more localized hunting. If you can use the large coil for more general hunting and the small coil for the iron patches or really trashy areas. hope this helps you out.
ZDD

Fabbr

Jan 28, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro 5x8DD coil, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett pro pointer, Lesche, Grey Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The post reads one last try for the 5x8 on the at pro, if you know one machine you definitely do not know them all. As I mentioned earlier any 'experienced' hobbyist will attest to this, you need a minimum of 60 or so hours on a machine to begin to learn it, some will say its more like 100. Someone who is inexperienced with the at pro should not attempt to offer advice to a thread that is discussing that machine. I own an at pro with a 5x8 coil and have a lot of hours into it. I felt i had something to offer the op, it seems that you are part of a very small but elite group of members that really have nothing to offer this specific thread. At the end of your confusing rant I see a reference to the moron on tv, that explains a lot. In many of your past posts i see you have payed homage to him. I am not a fan, if you are that's great, the reference, and your rant did nothing for this thread or the op.

Fabbr

Jan 28, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro 5x8DD coil, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett pro pointer, Lesche, Grey Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back to the thread, iron audio is key in helping eliminate the bottle caps. You have to sweep slow, start by trying to positively id them first then dig to verify. I dont usually leave this on, just a quick check here and there.The target separation is so tight on the 5x8 if theres anything remotely close you will hear it as a separate or a wavered tone. Check your GB occasionally and see what the caps seem to hit the vdi at. If you run into a signal that seems to be a bottle cap but the vdi is off it could very well be masking a coin or other target. This could also be a iron falsing. The at will combine the conductivity measurement of multiple targets skewing the vdi number or making it jump. Is any of this seemingly bottle cap infested ground old at all? If it is you may want to consider getting as much of the junk out of there as you can, then you may begin to find a lot of deeper targets that were being masked by the junk. If I may ask how many hours roughly do you have into your at pro? I can tell you I went through doubt and frustration learning this machine, but I was able to overcome and adapt and im glad I did, I consistently pull coins and goodies out of my local trashy, pounded parks, I got a 1908 IH, a 57 rosie, 6 wheats, and $4.03 in clad. Time and patience will do you well with this machine.

OP
OP
A

Adamsr0522

Dec 30, 2012
Cohoes NY
Detector(s) used
I'm out now with the 5x8.

Testing the advicefrom everyone.
I'm update later.

Thanks again

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The post reads one last try for the 5x8 on the at pro, if you know one machine you definitely do not know them all. As I mentioned earlier any 'experienced' hobbyist will attest to this, you need a minimum of 60 or so hours on a machine to begin to learn it, some will say its more like 100. Someone who is inexperienced with the at pro should not attempt to offer advice to a thread that is discussing that machine. I own an at pro with a 5x8 coil and have a lot of hours into it. I felt i had something to offer the op, it seems that you are part of a very small but elite group of members that really have nothing to offer this specific thread. At the end of your confusing rant I see a reference to the moron on tv, that explains a lot. In many of your past posts i see you have payed homage to him. I am not a fan, if you are that's great, the reference, and your rant did nothing for this thread or the op.
Yes folks, since the introduction of boom babys and the at pro post on here, we are to believe the AT Pro does not work like any other detector, it is a bottle cap magnet? So here is some necture for you, the At Pro is made to hit on relics, and do water hunts. In that mode, its gonna hit on steel and iron. You don't need countless hours on a bottle cap machine to know the science. I used lil words for you, cause I think the guy here asking the question has two options: 1, dig everything and enjoy the bottle caps. 2, get a new machine. But his post says he is happy with AT Gold or what every version he has. So Please someone explain to me how a Garret vlf has some secret the other machines don't? The At Pro is a fad, you bought into media hype. It is just a well thought out detector that by the limitations of science, can only do some things well. For it to overcome that problem, you need a new circuit board and program.

So you own a AT Pro/Gold, now what to do about coins in the park? Well with the rockin 5x8 coil I already love and have never used it. You need to jurn the juice down so you can find more roundness in the hole. I used some words you At Pro guys might appreciate lol. Your going to have to exeperiment with the settings, as Fabbr is wrong, each soil is different, and you need to know what the machine is telling you if you want go Boom Baby and make $10,000.00 dollars.

Maybe you guys can ask the Savage Family for some pointers as they have a really great success rate. If it were me, I would just use the AT Pro for what it does best, and use it for water hunts and old battle fields. Arent you glad I didn't say tweezer G the bottle caps. lol.

Guess Im gonna have to buy a AT Pro, take it apart, look at the circuits and program and send Garret a update, as according to some, I must own one to know how a metal detector works. Even Tesla didn't understand it all, and we should enjoy the fact they find anything at all.

Dude you have either a bum machine which I doubt. Or a very hot coil and that is a good thing. I run one of those inferior non garret machines that is very noisy. I got used to it and now can not hunt with a quiet, or in your case, the worst sounding detector I have ever heard. With all the money Garret is making, why fix it? Roundness in the hole to all you juicers and good luck. Please by all means, never consider experimenting or getting another detector. Submit to your finds and be a lsave to Rick Savage's million dollar a year contract to get you on the right path lol.

Fabbr, with all that knowledge you possess you will never get any help from the old guys who get annoyed easily. Good luck with that Tweezer G.

OP
OP
A

Adamsr0522

Dec 30, 2012
Cohoes NY
Detector(s) used
Is there a way to lock or remove this thread?

Fabbr

Jan 28, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How did you do today with the 5x8? Try to ignore the armchair experts, just fyi they are frequent posters in a thread called at haters. Im sure you are intelligent enough to see these simpletons for what they are, contact a moderator and ask about closing or locking the thread. If you would like any insight from me on your at pro you could give me a call anytime, id be glad to help you anyway I can. If so let me know ill pm you my cell. I went out for an hour with my dad and 9 year old son today and managed a 42 merc dime, and a wheatie. So 2 silvers in 2 days was very nice, not near as much clad as yesterday($4.03) vs $.82 today, this in a very trashy older park with the at/5x8DD

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
On a side note - I have found so many bottle caps that I actually started a Bottle Cap collection. Yuppa - it no longer drives me crazy when I pull a BC! I am now considering a Pull Tab collection!
killingme.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread