🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know what state you live in but the hot spots arent so hot anymore around here anything old and standing is hunted to death id dig every bottle cap signal in those places but i rarely do any good out of an entire summer i managed 1 barber dime 1 merc and 1 rosi from hunting the obvious churches..old buildings ect... now those old places are gravy compared to a old park thats in use still today...there knee deep in bottle caps that the garretts cant deal with...yes they need to come out of the ground to get a real idea of whats under them but im not always in the mood to dig 100's of bottle caps so it would be nice to have a machine do its job and discriminate...and on a side note the se pro my friends hunting with is 6 years old and not worth 1200-2000 dollars thats laughable ...the bounty hunter sharp shooter 2 is about 300 ish give or take and does better then any garrett on bottle caps although id never buy a bounty hunter myself id have to say its a better unit then garrett

I understand what ur saying about hunted out sites, luckily where i live I rarely see another person with a MD
Minelab Explorer SE Pro Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors $1149 on kellyco, and i wasnt referring to just u, ive seen videos on youtube people comparing the ctx3030 and other various minelabs (that do go up to 2k) to an at pro, in my opinion theres no comparison, yes the minelabs are better and i AM a garrett fan. perhaps time for an upgrade there sir

Last edited:

KJ&nugget

Mar 9, 2013
Republic of South Afrika and Wa. State USA
Detector(s) used
I use a garrett AT pro.
My son uses a Technetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I reading this correctly, that the Minelab explorer SE Pro and CTX 3030 can see the difference between a pull tab or crown cap and a coin or gold?

barrybuck

Mar 31, 2013
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Pro Pointer and Gunrunner pin pointer mount.
Fisher F2 and Grand Master CXII
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its a bit of an acquired taste, but when you hear the high pink tone all the way to the edge of the coil, its silver. When it's scrambled at the edges of the coil it's a cap. This is not 100% but with time on the machine it's pretty darn close.

Most days I just use it that way and don't dig the noise. However once in a while I dig just to verify. I have not been wrong in a while now. Like 50 or so in a row I called it to be a bottle cap and it was. The AT Pro can talk to you, just gotta listen.

Oh one other thing, I cannot do as well without headphones. With the headphones I'm pretty consistent determining the target. If you're doing this without headphones I think that may be part of the struggle. The tones are far more crisp and clear with the headphones on.

I'm using wireless headphones but they are about the same as the AT Pro Headphones.

If you dont mind me asking what kind of wireless headphones are you using and how do you have it set up.

Last edited:

KJ&nugget

Mar 9, 2013
Republic of South Afrika and Wa. State USA
Detector(s) used
I use a garrett AT pro.
My son uses a Technetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TDK WR700

With the garrett waterproof to stereo plug, and then a stereo to 3.5mm jack.

The transmit unit plugs directly to the 3.5mm plug.

From there it's flawless perfection. The head phones have volume control. They are incredibly well made and there is no annoying delay like blue tooth has.

Fabbr

Jan 28, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro 5x8DD coil, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett pro pointer, Lesche, Grey Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As stated before i have also noticed that with the 5x8 coil you have to swing the coil much slower. I have a lot of old trashy ground around here thats been hunted to death over the years and ive been pulling silver dimes, several wheat pennies, one indian head and some old buttons out of there. I have dug very little trash, most of the trash i do dig is intentional, whole cans/mason jar lids etc to get it out of there to possibly reveal older deeper targets on upcoming hunts. The slower i go with the 5x8 the better, i look for repeatable subtle tones and dig, learning what its telling you is the key and headphones are a huge help, the 5x8 has proven to be a great choice for me and my at. If any of you are frustrated to the point of selling your at pro let me know, im looking for another one ;o)

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I reading this correctly, that the Minelab explorer SE Pro and CTX 3030 can see the difference between a pull tab or crown cap and a coin or gold?
I didnt say that so dont put words in my mouth that arent there......i said while i hunt with friends using minelabs they dont even hit on the bottle caps BOTTLE CAPS ...even a friend with a bounty hunter laughs at my machine while it screams coins and his doesnt make a peep over my target these are iron bottle caps for a machine that cant tell the difference between an iron bottle cap and a silver dime is pretty well worthless to me ....if i had a choice id take my money back from buying this garrett anytime and id buy a bounty hounter or some cheap pos before ever buying another garrett ....and you can take that to the bank

Fabbr

Jan 28, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro 5x8DD coil, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett pro pointer, Lesche, Grey Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pro coins mode and iron discrim alone isnt enough to id them, iron audio will make the difference. The next time you get a hit that you think may be a bottle cap hit iron audio and sweep over it slowly, if its a iron cap it will grunt as it approaches and as it passes the target, just like it shows in the owners manual. Also when in pro mode when using the pinpoint button a dime will be a very narrow hit on the sweep, a cap will be huge in comparison. If this is too much to deal with then maybe a beep and dig machine would be more suited to you, the at's sell like wildfire for near new cost on ebay.

OP
OP
A

Adamsr0522

Dec 30, 2012
Cohoes NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and 350,BH Tracker IV and now the Garrett AT Pro and White's VX3.
Who said it sucked? This thread took an odd turn. I simply an having issues with a coil. My atp rocks!

Sent from my Galaxy note 2 using TreasureNet

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pro coins mode and iron discrim alone isnt enough to id them, iron audio will make the difference. The next time you get a hit that you think may be a bottle cap hit iron audio and sweep over it slowly, if its a iron cap it will grunt as it approaches and as it passes the target, just like it shows in the owners manual. Also when in pro mode when using the pinpoint button a dime will be a very narrow hit on the sweep, a cap will be huge in comparison. If this is too much to deal with then maybe a beep and dig machine would be more suited to you, the at's sell like wildfire for near new cost on ebay.
And what does it do when theres a nail or iron object or multi iron objects in the same hole as the silver?..thats right it gives an iron grunt

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO,Garrett Ace 250,Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt say that so dont put words in my mouth that arent there......i said while i hunt with friends using minelabs they dont even hit on the bottle caps BOTTLE CAPS ...even a friend with a bounty hunter laughs at my machine while it screams coins and his doesnt make a peep over my target these are iron bottle caps for a machine that cant tell the difference between an iron bottle cap and a silver dime is pretty well worthless to me ....if i had a choice id take my money back from buying this garrett anytime and id buy a bounty hounter or some cheap pos before ever buying another garrett ....and you can take that to the bank

Bottle caps are made of steel, not iron. Although similar, steel and iron are not the same.

Last edited:

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottle caps are made of steel, not iron. Although similar, steel and iron are not the same.

Ok well a metal detector that cant tell the difference between a quarter and steel is still the same princible correct?

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok well a metal detector that cant tell the difference between a quarter and steel is still the same princible correct?

No machine can tell you what you will be digging up with 100% accuracy. I personally haven't dug a bottle cap in quite some time because I am familiar with my machines. Currently I have an Ace 250 and an AT Pro, both are easy to read when over a bottle cap. It may very well show a blip up in the quarter range on the display when passing over it......so what. If that's all you rely on when evaluating a target, there's your problem, its not the machine.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you meen and how you can "tell a bottle cap" but its not always right and if you dont know that your not doing your job sure in the city park i pass and cherry pick but when it comes to a good place thats producing old coins theres no way in hell i would pass a screaming target because it make acouple or dips down to the iron side ...when you do this you have the potential to pass good targets mixed with bad...so what can be done?...get a better detector that doesnt sound off on bottle caps would be a great start

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just no pleasing you is there? Lolololololol. I have better things to do besides debating with a dusty brick wall. Hope you get something besides a garrett. I'm gonna go clean up the gold and silver with my AT Pro. Good luck dude.

Fabbr

Jan 28, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This thread has detoured from the op and his issue, dustytrail basically stepped in and turned it into a complaint thread. I apologize for attempting to correct him. Anyone who doesn't have say 60+ hours minimum in the at pro have no business chiming in to offer advice or making unjust claims about this or any other machine, the computer between the ears has a lot to do with the learning curve and proficiency with any machine, this may explain the issues with the thread hyjackers machine and skill set using the at pro, it just may be beyond him.

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread has detoured from the op and his issue, dustytrail basically stepped in and turned it into a complaint thread. I apologize for attempting to correct him. Anyone who doesn't have say 60+ hours minimum in the at pro have no business chiming in to offer advice or making unjust claims about this or any other machine, the computer between the ears has a lot to do with the learning curve and proficiency with any machine, this may explain the issues with the thread hyjackers machine and skill set using the at pro, it just may be beyond him.

Amen.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A quick post to get this thread back on track. The 5x8 coil is now my main coil after about 30+ hours of use. The weight reduction alone is a plus. Now will i go back to the stock coil for large fields, yes. However, i like the signal dissection of the smaller coil and also the target separation. For me, its easier to tell a coin from trash in trashy areas. Bottle caps, yea, i did those, but with iron audio, i know what it is before i dig, but just want to confirm.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok smarty pants go back and do some readin bud...i only anwered back when questioned or called out about my beliefs about the garretts so if you dont like fine but dont call me out because im not afraid to go back and fourth over something i believe in

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread