Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. Just a quick question for anyone with experience with the AT Pro. I was at the beach detecting today, when my detector started beeping like crazy for no reason. It wasn't a frequency problem, and it stopped when I turn the sensitivity down 2 notches. It did this in areas I already covered at full sensitivity just fine. I took the cover off of my coil and cleaned the sand out, and it was fine again. Later, away from the sand, it did it again with the same symptoms. Any idea what the problem is? I know it wasn't an interference problem, freq problem, is it just the coil cover guard gets dirty? I'll try again tomorrow and see if it acts up again.

I ground balanced it best I could, and the batteries still have half a charge according to the display. just curious if this has happened to anyone else. Thanks!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple things u can try change the frequency id do first, or a factory reset

OP
OP
Sapper724

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How do I factory reset?

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How do I factory reset?

Turn it on then Hold the power button down for atleast 6 seconds. You'll hear a double beep when it resets.

The chatter could be from black sand. Lower your sens down to 3-4 bars and ground balance. The gb could be as low as 11

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok for changing the frequency u have 4 hold down pinpoint button & press the sensitivity button + or - either way
Reset factory press the power button for 5 seconds should double beep & return all settings back to factory

OP
OP
Sapper724

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK thanks guys! I'll reset tomorrow. It was on lake Superior in Michigan, very fine sand.

Also, I ruled out it wasn't the frequency, so one less thing it could be. Thanks for the quick responses!

P.S. The mosquitoes are absolutely horrible in Michigan's UP right now! I really hope they lay off for the rest of my trip! If you come up, bring DEET! ;)

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thought you were at a saltwater beach. A freshwater beach, you can run the pro close to max. You might want to check your coil connection too.

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sapper,
Just to let you know, my GB goes down to around 10 sometimes at the beach...
I always Manually GB to be sure it's dead on....

Pete

OK thanks guys! I'll reset tomorrow. It was on lake Superior in Michigan, very fine sand.

Also, I ruled out it wasn't the frequency, so one less thing it could be. Thanks for the quick responses!

P.S. The mosquitoes are absolutely horrible in Michigan's UP right now! I really hope they lay off for the rest of my trip! If you come up, bring DEET! ;)

OP
OP
Sapper724

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll reconnect everything also. It was a 6 hour road trip, some rough road, I doubt it got knocked loose, but stranger things have happened!

OP
OP
Sapper724

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sapper,
Just to let you know, my GB goes down to around 10 sometimes at the beach...
I always Manually GB to be sure it's dead on....

Pete

To manually GB, do you just "pump" it and switch the numbers until it stops buzzing or making sound? Lol I sound like a noob, wait a second, I still am! ;) Thanks for the help!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To manually GB, do you just "pump" it and switch the numbers until it stops buzzing or making sound? Lol I sound like a noob, wait a second, I still am! ;) Thanks for the help!

Yeah pretty much. For auto GB = You find a piece of clean ground, push and hold the GB button and pump the coil till it evens out then release the GB button. For manual GB = push and release GB button, use plus/minus buttons to balance while pumping the coil, once balanced push & release GB button.

I almost always run my GB a couple of points high. Seems to be a little more sensitive.

OP
OP
Sapper724

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, I couldn't remember if people ran it higher or lower. Now I know, thanks!

OP
OP
Sapper724

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything I have read leans toward lowering the ground balance number three or four digits.
Search around and you will find out

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most of the time,I let the machine find the "sweet spot" on it's own (best ground balance) then manually reduce it by about 5 numbers. I have increased it too sometimes. Depends on the site conditions. If I get the GB set too high,I get a lot of "crackling,and popping in the head set.:laughing9: Drives me crazy!:laughing7: Once I get the GB set right for the conditions,I can crank up the Sensitivity to full (that's how you find those beaver tail pull tabs at 12"!):BangHead:

Last edited:

JRMan

Mar 20, 2013
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer,
White's Coinmaster 6000/Di Professional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have over a 100 hours on my AT Pro now and the only time I the unit went a bit crazy was when I got under some power lines. It was making all kinds of noise even held off the ground. As I got closer to the power lines it got worse. Still worked but the background noise was terrible. When I walked away from the power lines it cleared up and worked just fine. Changing the frequency had no effect.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have over a 100 hours on my AT Pro now and the only time I the unit went a bit crazy was when I got under some power lines. It was making all kinds of noise even held off the ground. As I got closer to the power lines it got worse. Still worked but the background noise was terrible. When I walked away from the power lines it cleared up and worked just fine. Changing the frequency had no effect.

Definetly agree if ur right under powerlines no frequency is gonna matter nor a factory reset its just way to much interference but under normal circumstances changeing frequencies does help out somtimes along with ground balancing

OP
OP
Sapper724

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE:

I went to the same beach tonight, and I did my best to ground balance the machine as I could. I had the sensitivity at full -1, and had no problems. So far it must have been a GB issue or just a freak occurrence. No idea, but if it happens again, I'll let you all know. Thanks for the advice!

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT!
Suprised you could run that Sens. so high! But that's cool.
If it starts chattering you could always lower it some more..

Pete

UPDATE:

I went to the same beach tonight, and I did my best to ground balance the machine as I could. I had the sensitivity at full -1, and had no problems. So far it must have been a GB issue or just a freak occurrence. No idea, but if it happens again, I'll let you all know. Thanks for the advice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread