Questions about AT PRO use in salt water

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Hello all,
Thanks for viewing the thread.
Would like to ask others about use of AT PRO in salt water.
Should the threaded connection be treated with something to prohibit corrosion? At what water temperature is the unit most sensative. Any other pointers would be appreciated. I am a big fan of AT PRO
and have had wonderful results in standard all metal mode. Trying to learn more. Best,

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people do fine with the atpro . I am not one of them. I much prefer a detector dedicated to Beach detecting. For maintenance I would consider coating the detector with food grade silicone, Trident or Mcnett are 2 brands commonly used for scuba equipment.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably should repost questions in Beach and swallow sand section to get better responses.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro is advertised as All Terrain when in fact it really sucks at salt water beaches in the wet sand it being only a single frequency detector. Not all beaches are the same as to salt content or black sand. What works at one location won't work at another. As to connection, Gamiller gave good answer.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a huge fan of the AT pro....but Sandman is right....they do suck in wet sand and salt water. For the average person on vacation once a year it will suffice, just run sensitivity low and deal with chatting and falsing. I spend sevetal weeks a year on the beach so i purchased a Minelab Sovereign GT for my wet sand use as i dont get in the water too deep. It works wonderful.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of my 'Honorable Mentions' was a salt water find, (granted it was a HUGE ring), along with another gold, and silver jewelry finds. The trick is hunt in standard mode, zero discrimination, and keep the sensitivity at a minimum. Also, I use silicone grease on the O rings, as well as the battery compartment. I use the Grey Ghost amphibian head phones as well.
Most important to also thoroughly rinse the machine with fresh water immediately after the hunt.

There are a lot of guys who will poo poo the At pro, but for the most part, they are only repeating what they've read. Yes, there are machines that are more specific for salt water, but I have no desire to be a detector collector.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used my ATP at the beach and n shallow salt water and the key is lower your sensitivity, I have hunted in both pro and standard mode. It's a matter of preference and success. I try all different things to see what gives me the least chatter and the best results but as a beach and salt water machine I have to agree with Sandman. I am 71 and detecting in the water is just to darn tiring for me.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Keep in mind that all beaches are not the same in terms of mineralization. Our central Florida beaches are much less mineralized than the black sands of Hawaii. In fact, you can sometimes walk 1/2 mile or less on the same beach and find a noticeable difference. Therefore, some who say that the AT Pro works on a saltwater beach are right. Some who say the AT Pro doesn't work well on a saltwater beach are right. It depends on the beach.

The AT Pro is one of the detectors I own and I very much like it. Having said that, I also own two Excalibur IIs that are far better for saltwater environments than the AT Pro regardless of the beach in question. It was simply designed for that style of hunting.

The key is to use the right tool for the job and environment at hand. If you want to drive nails, use a hammer not a screw driver and you'll get a more harmonious outcome as the saying goes. If you want to detect in saltwater, use a detector designed for that purpose...there is no one size fits all in this hobby and to try and make it so ends in less than optimal outcomes.

Just the view from my foxhole...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread