Ace 250 ring id

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
If you want gold and silver rings you MUST dig all signals from foil all the way up. There is a gold and silver band on your detector and that's pretty accurate.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
The higher K gold rings usually read around the nickel mark, as do pull tabs. As the gold K % decreases, the rings tend to read as copper or silver. Also, depending on what the gold ring is amalgamated with (silver or copper) also tends to keep it at the higher end with the copper readings. However, a very thin high K gold ring can also read as tinfoil. So, as Khouse pointed out, you must dig all signals from foil all the way up.

Digging more targets is always to your advantage....

OP
OP
wormnblack

wormnblack

Jan 8, 2007
Dyersburg, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I appreciate the help. I've been wondering about that for the longest. So, it looks like I'll be diggin' more trash from now on!!! But, hey! It's gotta pay off, right? Thanks! :D

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Unless you hunt in the water you may have to dig 1000 tabs to get a ring. Or maybe a ring on your next tab dig? No one knows? But for me it's closer to 2000 tabs! I don't count any more......

OP
OP
wormnblack

wormnblack

Jan 8, 2007
Dyersburg, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
That's funny. Sad, but I'm sure it's true! I don't live anywhere by a beach, and the lakes around here that get the biggest action are Federaly owned. There ARE some private owned lakes, too, but I wouldn't even know who to ask about them. I live in an area with two rivers, a creek or two, and I'm about twenty minutes away from the Mississippi river. I know they have a couple places there where people have parties, but you're entering in there at your own risk. I don't feel like getting robbed any time soon. But water hunting is something I would really like to do. Only wish I knew of some old swimming holes!!!

Has anyone had any luck searching small ponds in people's back yards?

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Write the department of natural resources for your state and ask for a metal detecting permit for the parks. You'll then receive a permit showing all areas you can hunt. Then go after it.

OP
OP
wormnblack

wormnblack

Jan 8, 2007
Dyersburg, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tennessee

I just sent an email to our parks dept. asking about the permit. I imagine it'll be a couple of days till I hear something being Christmas and all.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well size and gold content (karat) will effect where it rings up at -- I recently had a paper thin gold 625 mexican made kiddie ring come in under foil -- but the sound of the hit was very strong unlike foil which tends to be weak sounding often -- larger gold tends to "ring up" as a nickle --- but it varies according to size and gold % and what the gold is mixed with to make the ring ( copper, nickle or silver)--- Ivan

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Wormnblack,
Go here and ask for a metal detecting permit. Don't ask them if they offer one! Say this : Hello, I'm requesting my metal detecting permit for the 2008 year. Please send it to : Wormnblack Wiggler
250 Black Worm Tunnel
Night Crawler, WM, 123456
http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/permits.htm

OP
OP
wormnblack

wormnblack

Jan 8, 2007
Dyersburg, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Done! ;D Thanks! This ought to prove interesting! :P I like the address you made up. LOL That was funny. If I may ask, where are you from?

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Missouri. Hey I say where your state parks will give you a detecting permit if you claim you lost an item. You will be issued a permit and a park ranger will supervise your hunt. This could get sticky if you tell them you lost your beautiful gold wedding band but then couldn't describe it! So now you need to cross your fingers on the Army Corps lakes.....

R

robert roy

Well, you might consider the F2 or the F4 if your more interested in the Gold.
It's possible you might get a more accurate reading and not dig up as much trash as with the Ace 250.
Maybe Khouse can speak to this?

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
If you are specifically interested in looking for gold, why not consider getting a gold machine specially designed to find gold. They are usually tweaked to respond to gold, have added features to eliminate hot rocks and have to be ground balanced. Of course your coin finds will diminish considerably. Most of us who hunt often have more then one machine. Garrett makes a gold machine called the Scorpion, which works well for small sized nuggets and has a discrimination mode to help you in areas where coins are your preference.

Below is a link to the Garrett site showing some more information on the Scorpion:

OP
OP
wormnblack

wormnblack

Jan 8, 2007
Dyersburg, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hey John-Edmonton,

That's useful. I may have to look into that. I'm all about finding gold, no doubt, although coins and relics are the items most found around here. However, a gold seeking detector (preferably waterproof) would be to my advantage as I don't think anyone around here searches water/beaches. Thanks!

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I've had a few silver rings and they always come up as either a very good dime or quarter signal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions