One mans trash is another mans treasure

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was just on-line to order my new detector from kellyco and noticed that I had a chance to get my youngest daughter one through the deal they have going.
While I was checking on some reviews of the detector I started to notice that people were talking about their finds and how this or that detector must be good/bad, due to the fact, that from what they had observed on this/that forum other people were finding the BIG STUFF.

"Big Stuff".. :icon_scratch: ..I don't understand some peoples way of thinking. This is a great hobby and for me I find that it was a way to get my two daughters out with their father no matter what we find and not just to get rich.
Over the many years I've hunted I have had the privilege to meet and hunt with some of the best folks around, not do to what they found and not because they can take me to a hot spot, but due to the fact they are just good down to earth people always willing to lind a hand or some advice. From the kids first penny to the man that has been hunting for many years first CS belt buckle, it don't matter..we all started some place. Why nock a man or child because he or she is not finding the "GOOD STUFF", to that person what they just found is the good stuff. So be supportive of all find because one mans trash is another mans treasure. :thumbsup:

I'll get off the soap box now. just letting off some steam i quess

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll second that. Of course lately all I've been finding is trash so I'm ready for a couple of decent finds. ;D

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3RINGER said:
I was just on-line to order my new detector from kellyco and noticed that I had a chance to get my youngest daughter one through the deal they have going.
While I was checking on some reviews of the detector I started to notice that people were talking about their finds and how this or that detector must be good/bad, due to the fact, that from what they had observed on this/that forum other people were finding the BIG STUFF.

"Big Stuff".. :icon_scratch: ..I don't understand some peoples way of thinking. This is a great hobby and for me I find that it was a way to get my two daughters out with their father no matter what we find and not just to get rich.
Over the many years I've hunted I have had the privilege to meet and hunt with some of the best folks around, not do to what they found and not because they can take me to a hot spot, but due to the fact they are just good down to earth people always willing to lind a hand or some advice. From the kids first penny to the man that has been hunting for many years first CS belt buckle, it don't matter..we all started some place. Why nock a man or child because he or she is not finding the "GOOD STUFF", to that person what they just found is the good stuff. So be supportive of all find because one mans trash is another mans treasure. :thumbsup:

I'll get off the soap box now. just letting off some steam i quess

This is an awesome post and I totally agree with you. Right on for being a "glass half full" person. :thumbsup:

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Thank you for a timely post...I'm an arrowhead hunter, most of the time, but I also collect fossils and rocks, when I go somewhere to find heads, I find alot more chips and heartbreakers than I find a complete piece...some people that I know won't pick up a chip,but I do...I have a complete Folsom point that I pieced together from chips that I found within a foot of each other...one point, three pieces...
When I am able, I will be into MDing as well...I think that the first beep out of the box is going to be as big a thrill as any of the other enjoyable things I have had in my life, whether it is a pulltab or a coin or a CW buckle...sorry for being so long winded...

OP
OP
3RINGER

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
oldgoat

hope to see ya out in the field one day..what ever you get as far as a detector just remember that with practice will come reward, what ever that reward may be. good luck to ya

OP
OP
3RINGER

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just-geese

You just took all that I said up top and condenced it to perfection :notworthy: :notworthy:

3RINGER

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Justgeese, you are so right about getting out...most of the time I spend outside hunting, is hunting for the peace and serenity that I find just being out in nature...

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I do like hitting the quiet ground now and then. That may some of the "Good Stuff" but if your kids are along they have expectations of their own. Always made sure the girls found good stuff by going to the easy pickens with them. That's the "good stuff" too!

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've hit on a couple of things that bug me, too. :D

First - Don't you just love the huge nugget they come up with? Heck, that $29 make believe detector could find that if it was there!!!

And most junk (cans, etc), are MUCH larger than them rings and things.

Any way - I like finding all sorts of stuff - from the old cut nail right to the money and rings (I must like it, I've kept all of it - my used coffee cans are full of "finds"), and, when we pull a can out and open it up - I get great memories on top of everything else.

Real treasure doesn't have a dollar sign (to me).

B

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree...I feel if you don't have something nice to post then don't post.

I have never posted a comment about another detectorist finds that was not positive. I'm a little hard on myself in my posts but that's not because I want to be rich by my finds it is because I like to challenge myself and set little goals. Depending on where I'm digging the goal may be a silver coin or a coin older then 1900s. In the three years I've been detecting I've never sold a find...gave quite a bit away but never profited. That is not to say I never will...If I found an item that was worth enough money to make a big difference to my family it will be sold.

When my five year old finds something even if it is a pulltab or zincoln I always make a big deal out of it. To her it is like finding a gold coin. I treasure the time I get to spend with her even when the little bugger commanders my DFX. Yes, she has her own detector but I guess she like daddy's better.

To me this hobby is about getting outside, enjoying our surroundings, seeing what we can find and best of all de-stressing. When I'm out detecting I think of nothing else then the job at hand. I take a break from the economy, people I know that are sick and worrying about the world my daughter will be growing up in. To me each trip out is a mini vacation without the all inclusive.

NJ

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
You are on the money, The best find I have come up with is the smile on my grandsons face when he pops out anything. The last time we got to go out together I let him use my pinpointer to locate and recover about $3.00 in clad. He had the time of his life and was real happy when gram-pa told him that it was all his because he dug it. I have been thinking of getting him a md of his own & know he will have a blast with it.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who cares what you found?!?! You found something! And got out in the fresh air & sunshine doing it. Maybe picked up on some area history that everyone else forgot. And had FUN doing it! Not to mention meeting a lot of people such as the folks here on TNet, that probably have more knowledge than 90% of the scholars out there.

Sure humbles you when a buddy finds piles of "good stuff" with his $199 detector and you, using your $899 detector end up with a handful od tabs. Kind of like fishing, doesn't really matter if you caught your limit, You got to de-stress and have FUN!

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you 100% everything we find is a treasure wheather it is Worth 1 cent or a thousand dollars. I dig everything where I been out with other who will not dig pennies or even a nickel. But I like to dig everything it adds to my treasures..Matt

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
To this day, I have a plastic bucket in my garage that contains a spark plug, railroad spike, and small piece of barbed wire that I dug with my two youngest children about three years ago. My young son and daughter both believe that we hit the jackpot with these finds. When I think of the excitement spread across their faces when we dug these few items, I'm inclined to agree with them. It sounds like we're all on the same page, which allows me to make the following comment: I've been a part of several forums over the past several years. This one, I believe, lends itself to a group of participants that is "top shelf" in terms of consideration, help, encouragement, and friendliness. I can count on one hand the number of harsh or negative comments I've read. Moreover, I think this speaks to the respectability and integrity of those involved in this pursuit. And while I'm not a hard-core MDer, I certainly like being counted among the many who frequent this site.
Finally, I have to laugh a little when I hear about laws being enacted to fence out MDers from public lands. If any member of my family should happen to be in the park, I can't imagine any other group that I'd feel more comfortable with or be less afraid of. While there will always be that rare exception, I would suggest that each of you are adding to the respectability of this craft. It's truly a pleasure,
docmann

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Well, I've broke down and borrowed a detector from a friend, just to check it out, haven't had time yet, but I will...have set a goal for myself...when I become a full member, 100 posts, I will become a charter member and go buy a MD unit that is all mine...someone mentioned earlier the people in T-Net, I've got to say that he expressed my feelings exactly...I've never known so many helpful, freindly people in my life, and I've been around a while...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread