Ever had a great signal then get disappointed??

dirt doctor

Aug 31, 2006
California Bay Area
All the time with several brands of detectors .It's part of the game .I've learned to accept the iron but what's really dissapointing is when you dig a deep (11") , time consuming hole filled with roots then finally find a silver dollar sized target encrusted with dirt that turns out to be some brass thing-a-ma-jig of modern creation .The target I dug before that one was a nickel sized copper washer at 8" .That particular day I dug a lot of deep, good sounding junk that had a good tid as well and the few coins I found were new and shallow .

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once I got excited over a target at an old farmhouse.... sounded like coins stacked askew. Im thinkin mason jar with coins or something. 12" down I hit what looks like a paving stone.... I widened the hole and finally found I had gone over a 24" round well cover that was concrete with mesh or rebar in it.

DOH!

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you've been at this long enough you will learn great signals and disappointment go hand in hand. Metal detectors and the signals they give are not fool proof.

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Sure. I was scanning along a big depression near an old farm house. All that was left of a small barn here was a knee high row of cobble stone wall. Got a large signal I was having trouble pin-pointing. Was right up against the wall so that didn't help. The depth was bouncing around too.

Starting digging down and pulled out a large piece of broken glass. What the...? Scanned the hole again, lots of signals. Dug around a little more and pulled out the metal lid of an old mason jar. Still screwed onto the broken off top of the jar.

OMG.... now I'm excited. Cache??? I thinking..

After removing a few more shards of glass and expanding the hole I finally find my first target. Old rusted out washer. Hmmmm.... not a good sign. Next handfull of dirt is a handfull of junk metal. Nails of various sizes, washers, fence clips etc.

Turns out I removed what turned out to be a mason jar full of this stuff. The jar must have been dropped and broke and was kicked out of the way up against the wall.

Bummer....

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Hope you collected the rest of the jar's contents, Canadian Trout. My grandfather kept his V nickels in the bottom of a can of nuts in his tool shed. He showed them to my brothers and I before he died. Even my mother (his daughter) knew nothing about these coins.

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Tuberale said:
Hope you collected the rest of the jar's contents, Canadian Trout. My grandfather kept his V nickels in the bottom of a can of nuts in his tool shed. He showed them to my brothers and I before he died. Even my mother (his daughter) knew nothing about these coins.

No I didn't. After a few handfulls of dirt and barn misc. metal stuff I let it be. (Cleaned up the glass as best i could). Wonder if I should go back?

OP
OP
gadigger81

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
CanadianTrout said:
Tuberale said:

No I didn't. After a few handfulls of dirt and barn misc. metal stuff I let it be. (Cleaned up the glass as best i could). Wonder if I should go back?

I think you should, it might haunt you forever, the might-of-beens! Good luck! :icon_thumright:

28138digger

May 16, 2011
Lexington, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GaDigger81 said:
CanadianTrout said:
Tuberale said:

I think you should, it might haunt you forever, the might-of-beens! Good luck! :icon_thumright:
I always think when I pass up "It could have been the one" So I dig everything! I am a newbie but thats what I do...HH

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever had a great signal then get disappointed?? - It wouldn't be metal detecting if you didn't. I'm just happy when it gets it right once in a while :tongue3: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
gadigger81

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
spartacus53 said:
Ever had a great signal then get disappointed?? - It wouldn't be metal detecting if you didn't. I'm just happy when it gets it right once in a while :tongue3: :thumbsup:

:laughing9: LOL I wasn't thinking when I posted

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
CanadianTrout said:
Sure. I was scanning along a big depression near an old farm house. All that was left of a small barn here was a knee high row of cobble stone wall. Got a large signal I was having trouble pin-pointing. Was right up against the wall so that didn't help. The depth was bouncing around too.

Starting digging down and pulled out a large piece of broken glass. What the...? Scanned the hole again, lots of signals. Dug around a little more and pulled out the metal lid of an old mason jar. Still screwed onto the broken off top of the jar.

OMG.... now I'm excited. Cache??? I thinking..

After removing a few more shards of glass and expanding the hole I finally find my first target. Old rusted out washer. Hmmmm.... not a good sign. Next handfull of dirt is a handfull of junk metal. Nails of various sizes, washers, fence clips etc.

Turns out I removed what turned out to be a mason jar full of this stuff. The jar must have been dropped and broke and was kicked out of the way up against the wall.

Bummer....

Same thing happened to me in my own backyard. Dug a mason jar lid still half attached to the broken jar. Pulled the rest of shattered bits of the jar out of the hole. Dug a 1967 clad quarter just 1 foot from the same spot. Spent the next hour scanning the area and digging anything I thought might possibly ring up as a signal. Nothing!

zincmaster

Mar 8, 2011
col. ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter quick draw 2 and at pro
ive got good signals before, dug the plug, then nothing signal gone target gone :dontknow:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes but I have also dug disappointing signals then got very excited. ;D

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It even happens with 2 boxes. I was about 12' from a stone wall and got a very loud signal. I tried to hit it from 2 directions, but the signal appeared to be extremely large. After spending about 10 min. trying to narrow the area to dig, I realized I was picking up the signal from the wall 12' away. When you are thinking, in the ground, in the wall can fool you with a 2 box. It turned out to be a Geocache in a 50mm ammo box. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread