Disappointed and discouraged~Advice wanted for newbie

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'd been thinking about buying a MD for several years, and recently received an Ace 250 as a totally unexpected birthday present from my dad.

I've been a military history nut most of my life, with a special interest in WWII. I always thought it would be awesome to MD a nearby former WWII base. This former base is 90% of the reason that I wanted a MD.

I've been detecting the former base the last few times I've been out, and am sorely discouraged, disappointed and am clueless of what to do and how to hunt it.

This base, which is now a county park, spans about 4,000 acres, but most of the activity was centered in one small area of the park.

My best friend worked there many, many years ago, and tried to tell me before I bought a detector that the old base would be covered in trash and billions of old nails. (The park sold the buildings for $1 each for the lumber, and when they were being deconstructed, the nails were thrown everywhere.)

My friend also told me about how the entire base was leveled originally with excavators and dozers. All the low areas were filled with crushed stone, and fill dirt covered the top of that. I've found both crushed limestone and what I call river gravel, most likely mined out of some of the river bottom quarries that were once on the base.

Digging here is hard, to say the least. Nearly every place I've dug, I hit stone two or three inches down.

Aside from that problem....

I am getting iron hits like crazy. I went out Friday night, and tried to hit one field. I am not kidding when I say that the Ace 250 is beeping 4 times or more times in one single three foot swing. "Beep. Beep. Beep, Beeep. Beeeeeeep."

The first time out, I tried to dig every signal just like I've read on here a million times. I feel like if I dug every signal here, I would never, ever get off my knees.

I am really disappointed because I hoped I would be finding buttons, dog tags, M-1 shell casings, an occasional jeep part, and some older coinage from the 40's and 50's. So far, I've found 18 nails, (all eight penny), some pull tabs, some bottle caps, and a few clad coins near a newer tot lot.

Sometimes when I dig, I find nothing at all, which is super-duper disappointing. Could it be 'hot' rocks in the river gravel that have iron deposits?

I'm not ready to quit, but I would have sold this 250 for a couple of gallons of gas the other night. And I am basically brand new with MDing....the detector works fine...so I know it is me.

How do you attack an area like this?
What mode should I run in?
Should I just drop back and punt on this former base?
Should I just run in coin mode, even though I know some of this place has been pounded to death by better machines?
Originally, I had hoped to work this area block by block, but since it is so grown up around the old barracks, I've been working small parts around where the motor pool and division headquarters once stood because it is still mowed very short...Advice?

Thank you so much for your help and expertise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
BTW, I am also near the point of banishing myself from the "Today's Finds" forum....it is just too disappointing and frustrating to see all of those great finds when I keep digging nails and bottle caps!!!!! ;D

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
I'm also a newbie to treasurehunting Clovis. Just spent three weeks on the SanFrancisco River in Arizona and two weeks at Pinos Altos New Mexico panning for gold. I barely escaped the SanFrancisco River alive, literally crawling out the river. Lost all my supplies in the rapids, hadn't eaten in four days, knee and shoulder busted up. The entire payoff for my ordeal was five small particles of gold the size of an ants head. I had to pan about twenty buckets of dirt just to find that. Disappointing and discouraged? I still have nightmares about it.

What am i doing now ? I'm digging around a 1700th century Spanish fortification above a creek in Texas. I spend my time digging through limestone caprock that feels like concrete. That is, when i'm not dodging rattlesnakes and digging mesquite thorns out my skin. I haven't found anything yet, but i'm determined to find out what these conquistadors were doing here.

My advise is to "network" with as many people as you can with a similar passion. You can share your misery with them and maybe, maybe you'll pick up a lead or two on a promising dig. Good Luck. Keep Digging.

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ace 250 is a very good beginners machine, however, if you are having trouble in that area and want to keep trying there, try this setup. Set discrimination to eliminate nails/iron. Does not mean that big, old iron won't fool it but it will eliminate a lot of the smaller stuff. Reduce sensitivity to 2 or 3 bars. If the ground is super hard you won't want to be digging huge holes anyways so the loss of depth won't be a big deal. I would also try to find areas that have not been filled in recently.

That area sounds pretty tough for a beginner. Overall, I would recommend an easier place for starting out so you can get used to the various signals without the iron problem being so prevalent. Might try your garden variety city park to begin with. Best of luck to you! :headbang:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Sounds like you have a car?...Get the hell out of there!! Life's too short and you'll never pick up a detector again in you lose faith and hope!
You're starting in a place that's way too hard by the sound of it, kinda like detecting the Normandy beaches for anything BUT shell casings!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are there big old Trees ?

Hang around them.

Odds are they didn't do any work on the ground surrounding them.

IF Not take Dano's advice

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto for taking Jeff's and Dano's advice. Try to find unfilled ground and see about an old map of the area.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I loved my ACE 250 but it is not a good machine for areas high in trash or with hot rocks. I would move on and someday if you get a higher end machine and lots of experience...go back. I'm hitting areas that I could never hunt with my ACe and loving it now.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Randy-man's advice is good.

I would add, that a lot of times, there is simply no way to get advice on what you may be doing wrong, or whether or not your site is simply lame, etc.... This is because, since detectors are so "sound specific", that they can't be discussed, in printed text, fairly. You know, when someone says "I get beeps and clacks everywhere" or "everything sounds the same" or " any other such sound specific complaint, you can see that there is no way, in printed text, for them to convey what they are hearing, nor any way, in printed text, for anyone else to show them what sounds are what. It would be like saying "please describe the musical note of C-minor in printed text". It can't be done. It has to be heard.

Thus, the best way to get the hang of this hobby, or any particular machine, is to go out with someone who is proficient (ie.: not just a sandbox hunter, but someone who actually comes in with the old coins) with your particular machine. Trade off flagged signals. Listen to what he's listening for. See how he swings, isolates, etc... See/hear what he elects to pass, and ask why or why not. Etc. Etc....

This is true for whether or not a site is simply lame, verses if it's actually you, doing something wrong. For example: there was one newbie who gleefully got his first machine, and promptly went to use it, in his in-laws yard, which was 100 yrs. old. (thinking SURELY this will be a great place to start!! :)) But to no avail. The machine clicked and clacked EVERYWHERE, and all he got was some minor junk that over-rode the constant noise/chatter. No matter how he set the settings, the montage continued, and he was ready to give it up. However, before pitching the machine, he got ahold of a hunter in his area, to join him in trying this particular yard. In 30 seconds, the experienced hunter spotted the problem: The entire yard was lined, at about 8" deep, with chicken screen, for purposes of gopher control, at some point in the previous decades. The experience user didn't even need to dig it up, to see. A sample excavation down confirmed that it was the SITE, and not the MACHINE. But you see, no amount of "printed text" conversation, even with an experienced user, could have un-raveled that. It simply has to be shown, not read about, in printed text.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Wow!!! Thank you for the replies so far!!!! I really do appreciate your time and help!!!!

Jeff of PA: Trees? Big ones? Nary a one. Okay, when I look at the 1942 panoramic yard long photo, I see exactly one very old tree in the far distance. I am almost certain that the tree is no longer standing.

Swede Dano: Now that is funny...but probably good advice. Not really the advice I wanted to hear....I want to dig some war relics, even if they are state-side relics.

Tom and Randy: I'll try some of that advice. I've never seen another MD'er here, but that isn't saying much. Maybe I should look for a club in the area.

I wish my reply could be more specific, but I am trying to take all of this in, and figure it out.

Again, thanks!!!!!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
clovis97 said:
How do you attack an area like this?
What mode should I run in?
Should I just drop back and punt on this former base?
Should I just run in coin mode, even though I know some of this place has been pounded to death by better machines?
Originally, I had hoped to work this area block by block, but since it is so grown up around the old barracks, I've been working small parts around where the motor pool and division headquarters once stood because it is still mowed very short...Advice?

Clovis, put your Ace 250 in the car (remember to put in fresh batteries!), and drive in the opposite direction of the old base. Find an old schoolyard, football field, fair ground - and cut your teeth. Put in the hours of listening to your machine and learning to control it. These folks that are finding coins and jewelry on a steady basis have hundreds - sometimes thousands of hours of listening to signals and deciphering them. They have dug hundreds - thousands of targets. Clovis, this "Sport," "Hobby," is like anything else we do in life - work hard and honestly and there is a payoff. Ain't no secret to it. The gold nuggets, Dog Tags, or gold rings are not going to jump up into your pocket. Once you have about 150-175 hours on the A-250, you'll be ready to try the base again, but this time you will have done more research and found the old playfields and exercise fields. Where the PX was and the base bowling ally parking lot. Was there a fishing hole at the base? Where did they picnic - or train? Where was the firing range? Of course, by this time you'll be so hooked that you will be watching for a good deal on an upgrade to a Tesoro machine.. Good Luck and keep digging!

fishbone3d

Apr 1, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Whites Prizm III, Bounty Hunter
There are many other places to hunt. I was at an old 1800's Mill. It was turned into a park. I pounded it for a long time, without any luck. A while later, I found out that the place was resurfaced with about 8-10 inches of new soil!. If a place is not producing, go elsewhere. You only have one life to live. Study a lot about the territory that you are from. I use this website to look for old houses. It is full of old plat maps! http://www.historicmapworks.com/Browse/North_America/
It took me a little while to get the nerve to ask permission, but I finally got over that. Look for old houses or other structures in your area. Learn the old plat maps, and you will succeed my friend. It takes time to study. It soon becomes an obsession!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the biggest thing many neglected to tell you is to learn your machine :thumbsup: It shouldn't take too long to master the 250, because I did... :tongue3:

I would suggest hunting local playgrounds, parks, beached etc.. until you better know your machine. Another strong word of advise, when it comes to people like Dano giving advise, take it with a grain of salt. Dano will steer you away from the good places so he could go there himself. (It happened to me) ;D

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
First, welcome to MD'ing!! It's a great and rewarding hobby!! I'm kinda in the same shoes your in. I just upgraded my Whites Prizm to a X-Terra. Even though I been MD'ing a few years, it's a new machine. I got permission to hunt a Civil War skirmish site thats never been hunted on private property! I can't wait to get over there, but at the moment (like stated above) i'm hitting some yards and parks to learn my detector. That way when I get to the site, i'll be comfortable with my machine and know what it can do. Best the luck to you and don't give up!! :icon_thumright:

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The 250 is a good detector, but it does not like being around lots of iron (or trash). It freaks out as you have found. Get away from the thick patches of iron. Enough where you can work around the iron targets and have the machine be stable. To work in between the iron use real short swings of your coil (a few inches). If I get frustrated at a site I'll leave it for a few weeks and hunt another site until I get frustrated at that one. I usually have two or three sites I'll hunt through the year.

-Swartzie

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
spartacus53 said:
I think the biggest thing many neglected to tell you is to learn your machine :thumbsup: It shouldn't take too long to master the 250, because I did... :tongue3:

I would suggest hunting local playgrounds, parks, beached etc.. until you better know your machine. Another strong word of advise, when it comes to people like Dano giving advise, take it with a grain of salt. Dano will steer you away from the good places so he could go there himself. (It happened to me) ;D

That's right. I'm trying to lure you away so i can sneak in and dig your 4,000 acres of nails and bottle caps! :tongue3:
Ignore Spart' as he talks drivel..especially at 5am :laughing9:

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being ex-military I can tell you...every freekin morning on base a crew was out policing the area for cigarette butts and anything else that didn't belong on the ground. God forbid you left a teeny piece of tin foil from a cigarette pack or anything that would catch a superiors eyes.

On the firing range you took back every single piece of brass you shot....and then some!

Like the others said...move on to greener pastures. Very little if anything from the era will be there and you are obviously finding the results of the demo and nothing more.

Al

jrandy

Jan 13, 2010
San Angelo TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GPT 1350, Predator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too live by an old base. Well I broke the code to speak. Go to google earth and look at your base. Then go to the library or someplace in your town and find old photos. Baseball was real big the and I have found most of my stuff on or near the old field. The housing areas have paid off as well. I started with a preditor II and have moved on up. The 250 is way more advanced than the preditor.so you should find your treasures...

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Thank you for your continued replies and for your wisdom.

I'm a hard headed person, and stubborn as a mule sometimes. I'm not quite ready to give up on the old base yet, even though my head says to listen to your advice and wisdom. I have a former high school football field a block away from my house which I will hit eventually, but my real desire is to hunt that former base.

I'm going to try to use the discrimination a little more. I've had it wide open all the times I've been there, except for when I hit the tot lot, which I ran in coin mode.

The stubborn side of me says to at least run some of the areas in coin mode. While I'd probably rather dig a discarded spark plug from an old Jeep than a Morgan dollar, I would get a kick out of finding a Merc or two. Crazy, isn't it?

I've been studying the old maps of the base in conjunction with Google Earth, and have been for the 6 months prior to getting my 250. The place is just sooo vast that it is a little overwhelming to know where to start. I've spent even more time identifying a few better spots than I've done before.

Again, thank you for your time and help. This information has helped me better understand the situation, even though I haven't spelled it all out here.

I'd love to hear more thoughts, ideas and wisdom.

2bits

Nov 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
One to many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clovis,
As jrandy said, try to locate the ball field, I would try to locate where the Post Exchange, Post Theatre, and obsticle courses were. But definitely stay away from motorpool areas. Look in the shaded side of barracks area's or other buildings. Get a good layout of the original Fort and try to locate all of the recommended sites.
HH, RCW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread